996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Tim Griffin is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, anyone know of someone in the wester Massachusetts area that can do this mod for me? I know I can do it if I have to time, but that is as rare as the money needed for an after market exhaust.
Turbo Tim

Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Tim Griffin is infamous around these parts
Rico, did you have to use any kind of extension on your air gun for this?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 PM
tryon17 is infamous around these parts
OMFG!!
I just completed this mod and it was a ***** to do, but man was it worth it! Sound like a new car and runs like a bat out of hell. Damn! Damn!! DAMN!!!
Now for the down side I drilled through the back side and had to plug it(very small hole) Did I say DAMN? Can't wipe the smile off my face
I keep going outside just to start it up so I can hear it again.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Last930 is infamous around these parts
Anyone in the Chicago area with this mod? I'd like to hear someones car before doing this myself.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM
tryon17 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Last930
Anyone in the Chicago area with this mod? I'd like to hear someones car before doing this myself.

Like you I wanted to hear it first as well, but like a kid I could not wait so I went to it. It was a ***** to do but well worth the time the sound for me is just right and the power boost is THERE!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
After writing a 70 plus thousand dollar check for my TT I didn't really want to drop another 5k into a Europipe right away.
I had my mechanic put an extension on his drill and go to town

Went straight in and drilled a pilot hole then augered out the hole to about 1 inch dia. each side.

I told him that if we f it up we'll just be installing the Europipe a little sooner than I had hoped.

Sounds pretty damn good!

Way better than stock and better than some aftermarket exhausts I've heard.

There are no hp gains to speak of but I couldn't handle the quiet for another minute.

Tom,

I got mine done today... and I love it... noticeable TQ and fabulous sound.

Thanks for the referral to Brewsters. Bill and Scott treated me very well. Nice guys and seem to know their way around all things Porsche.

Love San Clemente too... what a great community and not too far from San Diego.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rwilliamtaylor
Tom,

I got mine done today... and I love it... noticeable TQ and fabulous sound.

Thanks for the referral to Brewsters. Bill and Scott treated me very well. Nice guys and seem to know their way around all things Porsche.

Love San Clemente too... what a great community and not too far from San Diego.
The Brewsters are the best kept secret in the world of Porsche repairs. With Bill's relaxed personality you would never guess the depth of knowledge he posesses.

Glad you enjoyed our little town.

tw

Old 05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
KellyT is infamous around these parts
Does the Turbo S have a different exhaust than the straight Turbo?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Is there any reason this wouldn't work for a 996 C2. I have a Fabspeed exhaust.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:34 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Your turbo S has the same exhaust as my X50 does....and it worked great on my car! Go for it!

Originally Posted by KellyT
Does the Turbo S have a different exhaust than the straight Turbo?

Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
KellyT is infamous around these parts
Just completed the Mod. Great improvement, great sound. Took about an hour. The Bosch 1 3/8ths Step drill was perfect all except for the fact that I couldn't drill out more than an inch diameter because of the tip starting to drill through the cornered back wall of the exhaust.

Rigid 3/8th x 12" extention fits the Bosch step drill perfectly. Plus had plenty of power with my Big a$$ hammer drill.

Thanks again for the big bang for the buck Mod.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	70896   Click image for larger version

Name:	step-drill.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	70897  
Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Whoever thought we'd be using concrete demolition tools to tune a Porsche

tw

Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
When you're ready or a little more sound and power, drill another hole just to the side of the current one so the two overlap. This will give you a larger "figure 8" shaped hole. Then you can drill another just below those two, so again they slightly over lap. This will give a hole that is pretty big and have great sound.

I finished it off with a grinding bit so smooth out the rough edges. Turned out pretty well.

Originally Posted by KellyT
Just completed the Mod. Great improvement, great sound. Took about an hour. The Bosch 1 3/8ths Step drill was perfect all except for the fact that I couldn't drill out more than an inch diameter because of the tip starting to drill through the cornered back wall of the exhaust.

Rigid 3/8th x 12" extention fits the Bosch step drill perfectly. Plus had plenty of power with my Big a$$ hammer drill.

Thanks again for the big bang for the buck Mod.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
So,

Did anyone has dyno number ( before VS after ) on this mod ?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
So,

Did anyone has dyno number ( before VS after ) on this mod ?

Read the full thread. Yes. They are in there...woosh did them. I think around page 5 or so.

JB

(TMJ mod)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT