996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:40 AM
TwinT is infamous around these parts
There seems to have been many developments in this from the start. Great work guys!

Is there a completed 'DIY' write up?

I am thinking about selling my Tubi competition and going back to stock with the mod.

Thanks

Last edited by TwinT; 06-08-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TwinT
There seems to have been many developments in this from the start. Great work guys!

Is there a completed 'DIY' write up?

I am thinking about selling my Tubi competition and going back to stock with the mod.

Thanks
you'll need to read the thread and you'll get all the info you need.

tw

Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
+1 Every conceivable question was raised about the mod, dyno data, various tools, people's advice on where/when. Impressions, etc.

Best of luck. It is 20-30 minutes tops and the actual procedure is very, very simple. You'll be amazed.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
LasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to beholdLasVegas is a splendid one to behold
this is a great mod and would recommend and brag about it. I would love to make the holes bigger, I think mine around right around 1", is there a big difference in sound if I make the holes bigger than that??

Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Imolas54 is infamous around these parts
easy mod, just needed a drill extension and (2) 2" hole saws....took a bit to get it started at an angle but once it cuts through, it look only about a minute to complete the hole.

however, i only found about a 15% ~ 20% increase in exhaust note.... nothing dramatic and unfortunately won't fulfill my exhaust needs

Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
does anyone have a tiptronic that did this mod? wondering how it works/ sounds on a tiptronic

Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
N1_kT is infamous around these parts
im assuming this is only for the sound?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
docsean1 is infamous around these parts
My impression...

Just had my mechanic torch 1 1/4 inch holes in my 01 TT. Can't believe the difference. Sound is great, much better than stock. No drone. I just saved my self thousand, since all I wanted was better sound, not necessarily more power. If anyone is on the fence, I am on Long Island, you are welcome to listen to my car. Better yet, if anyone has an aftermarket installed, I would love to hear a side by side comparison.
Also, if anyone want to do this, my mechanic is in Queens. He'll do it for $75 and he won't think you are crazy. His number is 917-442-1929, Sunil.
Sean.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
docsean1 is infamous around these parts
My impression...

Just had my mechanic torch 1 1/4 inch holes in my 01 TT. Can't believe the difference. Sound is great, much better than stock. No drone. I just saved my self thousand, since all I wanted was better sound, not necessarily more power. If anyone is on the fence, I am on Long Island, you are welcome to listen to my car. Better yet, if anyone has an aftermarket installed, I would love to hear a side by side comparison.
Also, if anyone want to do this, my mechanic is in Queens. He'll do it for $75 and he won't think you are crazy. His number is 917-442-1929, Sunil.
Sean.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
wooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to all
Real world testing to me is the best, and I have a dyno. I can tell you after being one of the first along with jcb-memphis to test this mod I am happy with it and the performace gain is there also. Does not get any lighter like an aftermarket exhaust, and I have not tested it yet at higher HP levels than stock turbo's and a flash. Last week my friend Chuck and I did some runs in Mexico. He has the identical mods that I do except the exhaust. We both have K16 cars with UMW flash, UMW clutch kit and LWFW. We both had the stock exhaust mod done previously and in past Mexico runs we were dead even, on every run. He has added the Europipe Loud exhaust recently, I still have the stock exhaust mod. Dead even again, over and over. Yes its pretty, and lighter, but I can tell you the stock exhaust mod not only sounds better, but it adds as much HP as some of the aftermarket exhausts.

We are about to try the same thing in the next few weeks with new turbo's but unfortunately we will have a little different set-ups so it will not be apples to apples like it is now. I am guessing that at the higher HP levels aftermarket exhausts may make a difference. W I am putting on k28's he is putting on UMW zero clearance turbo's. Both will be running stock fuel system with reflash and 5 bar fuel press reg. to begin with. We will see how close it is then, and even try swapping exhausts to see if that changes the side by side outcome. Using different turbo set ups will now make it more difficult to compare, but will still be interesting.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
wooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to all
quick note from above comments end of first paragraph, I did not mean to imply that the stock exhaust mod sounds better than the Europipe, just meant that it sounds much better than stock.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Keep us informed!

I moved to a Switzer exhaust, but I still have my TJW modded OEM unit...(someone offered for it and then had issues and had to sell their car...per his emails).

It was a great unit and had a nice sound at 1.25" holes. Mine were slightly oval in the end.

Jeff

(the J in TJW)

Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
markporsche is infamous around these parts
I just completed this mod after not being happy with Fabspeed drone and then I even tried a Europipe and did not feel than valaue for the cost.

So far this has improved the sound without being annoying and I am hitting 1.0 to 1.1 boost levels again. I am using GIAC programming.

When drilling I was able to pick up the shavings with a magnetic tool.
Thought sharing that tip would be helpful for others.

Very surprised with the improved sound and boost levels with such a simple mod.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Everyone that does this mod should send me 20 dollars so I can Get some decent wheels!!

tw

Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
markporsche is infamous around these parts
Send me your address. Its worth the $20.00.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT