996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:58 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kc2ab
well, got a 1/2 inch metal drill bit that's about 16" long at lowes, and i tried to drill but the drill bit wouldn't bite...couldn't get started.... bit end wandering all over the place....

i was thinking of drilling 2 1/2" holes...at 1/2 " increments....

i like the idea of using a ship/pvc pipe, etc..

oh, and i WD40ed the bolt and couldn't loosen the twin tip of the exh pipe either....

any other suggestions on getting this done at home?

brought the car to a garage locally and couldn't drive on the ramp... too sharp of an angle for the car....

jim R
03 x50 twin tip stock exh - needs some holes put in....
Probably will have to do a pilot hole with a smaller bit first to get the larger one to get a bite. It is somewhat of a challenge to get any bits started on the curved part. Smaller, very sharp bit will be much easier to get started. Or use a center punch and put a dimple in it if you have one.

Oh, and drilling multiple holes (starting at 1/2 inch and doing 1 inch then 1.5 inch) - be sure you have a plan to get them all started. I think it may be hard to get another one started if you have a hole already...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Anyone in the DC area that has done this? If so please PM me so I can get a listen to the end product.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 AM
sleepys4 is infamous around these parts
This is not a bad idea, I may try this.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kc2ab
well, got a 1/2 inch metal drill bit that's about 16" long at lowes, and i tried to drill but the drill bit wouldn't bite...couldn't get started.... bit end wandering all over the place....

i was thinking of drilling 2 1/2" holes...at 1/2 " increments....

i like the idea of using a ship/pvc pipe, etc..

oh, and i WD40ed the bolt and couldn't loosen the twin tip of the exh pipe either....

any other suggestions on getting this done at home?

brought the car to a garage locally and couldn't drive on the ramp... too sharp of an angle for the car....

jim R
03 x50 twin tip stock exh - needs some holes put in....
I had the same problem to start, if you are using the drill you need to use very high rpms with very light pressure and it will cut through in a couple of minutes.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I think that if you guys are looking for a truely unique and exotic sound the whistle tips are the only way to go.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgXjA2BLEY

Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Blue Monster
I had the same problem to start, if you are using the drill you need to use very high rpms with very light pressure and it will cut through in a couple of minutes.
That's a good way to ruin a bit. If you're only doing one muffler and trashing the bit, it's fine. High speed with light pressure and metal drilling generally doesn't do much for too life without lots and lots of cooling. A dimple or smaller bit for a pilot hole would be a better solution.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
That's a good way to ruin a bit. If you're only doing one muffler and trashing the bit, it's fine. High speed with light pressure and metal drilling generally doesn't do much for too life without lots and lots of cooling. A dimple or smaller bit for a pilot hole would be a better solution.
I would listen to Brad, this was my first time drilling metal with a battery powered drill, I tried with a setting too low and it just would not cut well

Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
It's optional to listen to either one of us really. One just has to ask themselves if if they are going to use the bit once or try and use it for other projects. I've been guilty of "one use bits" myself. At least until I ruined a couple of expensive bits.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
I'm pretty sure my shop teacher told us slow, heavy and wet was the way to cut/drill stainless. That was at least a hundred years ago but I'll bet nothing much has changed.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Webtool1
I'm pretty sure my shop teacher told us slow, heavy and wet was the way to cut/drill stainless. That was at least a hundred years ago but I'll bet nothing much has changed.
Slow, heavy and wet? You sure he wasn't talking about his wife

Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gunther
Anyone in the DC area that has done this? If so please PM me so I can get a listen to the end product.

So there is no one in the DC area that has done this mod

Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
I'm the latest to join the TJW Mod Club Had the day off today, so I decided to stop reading about it and just do it

Took off my tips so I didn't scratch them, and bored a hole right through the pipe! It takes a little effort to get the initial pilot hole through the steel (yeah, Porsche doesn't skimp on their materials), but once in it was easy to open it up. I stopped at about 1 1/8" for now...the sound is definitely noticeable in a good way A nice, louder and deeper growl than before. I haven't had much of a chance to drive yet, so I can't say anything toward power yet.... All-in-all, a cheap, easy and awesome mod

Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I started with 1/2" holes a few months ago and finally had them opened up to 2" yesterday. Made another huge improvement on sound and appears to spool faster. You can also test the turbos now!

This is the best DIY out there and such cheap entertainment. What a compliment for my EPL tune. Can't imagine what a realbe haust would be like.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
Buy a hole saw 2" with the bit in the center or without FOR METAL, get a small extension on your drill, the 2" hole saw actually holds itself perfectly at the bend and does work! You will have 2 perfect sized holes when done.

Tips: Dont use cordless drill unless you have extra batteries laying around

Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by enoyskt
Buy a hole saw 2" with the bit in the center or without FOR METAL, get a small extension on your drill, the 2" hole saw actually holds itself perfectly at the bend and does work! You will have 2 perfect sized holes when done.

Tips: Dont use cordless drill unless you have extra batteries laying around
You'd have to have a long pilot bit in the hole saw to get the pilot hole going in the bend, then the dangerous part would be once you got the hole saw going, the pilot bit would penetrate the back side of the exhaust. This is the reason I went with the unitbit and extension rod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT