996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Anyone done this mod on a 997 GT2? Curious to hear the results and if any special mods or treatment is necessary due to the design of the pipe and the fact that it's titanium?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
You would be NUTS to destroy a 997 GT2 stock exhaust...the value of the car is such that I cannot condone that.

My 2c. I am the "J" of the name TJW mod.....

Jeff

Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
+1 Jeff agree with you.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
phil996tt is infamous around these parts
Hi,
i was thinking about doing this mod. But as long I was thinking abut it, all the more I arrived to an other decision.

I want to swith between TJW and original....

This is the result:

Little mods to the bumper-headschild and installing the original 996 none Turbo PSE relay with kables... ready.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting, how easy does it fit under the bumper with the vacuum pot on it.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
phil996tt is infamous around these parts
A little hole for the vac-hose and , how you spell it, "knop" to the headschild at the position of the vacuum pot.
Didnt installed it right now. But for positioning the tips, clearance check to the bumper and a little "soundtest" it was on the car.
Will post pics when ready, but this takes a while because of the wiring and vac lines.

@ Ken:
It is a huge diff between original an 2,5" direkt behind the cats
Its something like stright pipes behind cat.
I was already thinking about switching the cats also with another pair of valves.
But there is no place and this car is not ecu-tuned, so there will come several CELs.
Dont like that.... want to stay original at this point.

Last edited by phil996tt; 03-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey,Anyone need a X-50 set-up,excellent shape spare for a great price..........

Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
John waht exactly is the X-50 set up.I'm confused with the X-73.

I may be interested.

Rolando

Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM
thebananaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnspeed
PM me with the price thanks

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Walt L is infamous around these parts
I'm new to the sight and I have a 2001 996tt and get 1.1 bar with stock exhaust. Read this thread yesterday went out to the garage took a new 2 inch bi-metal hole saw removed the tips and started drilling. After about an hour of work and 2 hole saws job was done. Was pretty easy to do. Took it for a test drive this morning sounds great and feels great with no drone. I have the stock exhaust tips the double circles , has anyone ever tried to remove the center section from the tip because it is dead in the middle of the exhaust flow.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
thebananaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Walt L
I'm new to the sight and I have a 2001 996tt and get 1.1 bar with stock exhaust. Read this thread yesterday went out to the garage took a new 2 inch bi-metal hole saw removed the tips and started drilling. After about an hour of work and 2 hole saws job was done. Was pretty easy to do. Took it for a test drive this morning sounds great and feels great with no drone. I have the stock exhaust tips the double circles , has anyone ever tried to remove the center section from the tip because it is dead in the middle of the exhaust flow.
I dont think it would do any good, it is not really restricting anything.
I did the same thing about 6 months ago, it does sound good and spools the turbo up quick. The holesaw didn't make it though. That is some serious metal.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Walt L is infamous around these parts
Do you get a woosh type sound (like a high pressure air hose) at full throttle.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 PM
tjj7ff is infamous around these parts
I did the same DIY about 4 years and still love it. Never thought about cutting the center piece out. I don't think that they have very much, if any, effect on restricting the exhaust. I like the ovals the way they are.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 PM
MRE
MRE is infamous around these parts
I did the hole saw trick to my stock mufflers, but I used a cutting tourch first and I loved the sound, but then switched to the fabspeed straight pipes. I just sold my 996tt and the fabspeed pipes with fake cats are for sale. I will be posting them is the classified section soon.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
kelvintak is infamous around these parts
I am new for 996tt
want to try it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT