996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marksred911
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Background: I recently purchased the Turbo S. (LOVE it so far). But it came with a Race Precision aftermarket exhaust system. Generally, I don't mind the sound except for a fairly radical drone/resonance at about 2500 rpm. (Wife won't even ride in it)

I am thinking of reinstalling the OEM exhaust which I got with the car when I purchased it. Not sure if I can do this myself which is why I was asking about the weight. Also, the OEM muffler does have the drilled holes already done. So it will not be as quiet as the unmodified exhaust.

Sounds like a 2 person job in any case.

If by 2 person job you mean yourself and a beer, I agree. You'll have no problems swapping it back over,.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
You should probably knock out the first set, closest, cats on the stock system.
Do you know by any chance what cell cats you have now on the loud exhaust?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I went the the tail pipes w/ a 1 7/8" hole saw. Took out as much if the inner pipping that I could. That was better then stock but wasn't good enough IMO. Then I removed the cat closest to the turbo. It's the easiest to get to after I got the exhaust off. Better sound but I wanted more. Took the exhaust off to change the water pump and so I drilled out about 1/3 if the secondary cat. Agin some improvement in the sound but in the end, IMO, if you want the right sound get an after market exhaust. Though I like mine the way it is way better then the stock OEM exhaust.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
I did this mod yesterday and so far I'm quite happy with the result. Did not take long with a decent Milwaukee 1/2" drill and a carbide burr. Hardest part was just making the initial hole.

Thanks for the great tip!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM
marksred911 is infamous around these parts
Just finished replacing the OEM exhaust back on to my 911. It already had the holes drilled. Very happy with the sound. There was a Race Precision aftermarket exhaust on it which had a little more sound than I like. I can tell a slight power drop, however.
Anyway, very happy with the drilled out OEM exhaust system!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:20 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds good to me

Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
I see eBay has carbide hole saws for SS under $20. Need to get busy!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Ursoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to all
Lol. I'm in the market for a 996tt. I haven't even bought one yet, but have already decided I'm doing this mod if I buy a car with a stock exhaust. -Wade

Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 AM
athena1111 is infamous around these parts
Do you have any intentions of selling your Race Precision?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:33 PM
marksred911 is infamous around these parts
The Race Precision was sold via this forum about 2 weeks ago. The buyer just picked it up today.

Sorry.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
gregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura about
Just TJW'd my exhaust. Hmmm, jury is still out on my final thoughts. I love the idle. I love the WOT sound, drones at 2000 RPM exactly. Not like my Hemi Challenger but it's not quiet either. Not sure about the HP/TQ gains because I haven't had time to really go test it. Tip trans.

I used a Milwaukee bi metal hole saw 1 1/2" on a 12" extension. Didn't even have to remove my X54 tips. Took 20 minutes tops, but definitely needed two hole saws.

Wife didn't even mention the sound difference so its quite enough I guess, lol.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 PM
gregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura about
Now that I've driven some more, I will say that I think this is a pretty good mod as an alternative to the quiet sound of the stock exhaust. I don't have access to a Dino but I did some 2000k to 6000k pulls in 2nd 3rd tonight and I will say that there was a small but noticeable increase in HP/TQ during these pulls, so the 10-15HP and 20-30TQ seen on Woosh's dyno can be felt. Interestingly, I saw .8 on the boost for the first time. I know some reported more boost so I don't know if I am seeing that or if this is an anomaly, but I've never seen .8 on my gauge and I could repeat it each pull. For a low budget easy mod I'll take it! Another happy TJW'er. Thanks guys for being pioneers on this.

Cheers.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 PM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
I did the same mod, felt the same as you but eventually wanted more and got the Kline exhaust. I am now loving it.

Wow this thread is over 7 years old and still running hot !!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Ofcski is infamous around these parts
This thread is old, but I am glad it was started. I forgot that this modification adds a little power and a better sound. Just completed on my car. Thanks to the original contributor.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I agree...great thread! Its always interesting to see what people do/how far they can go with the stock setup. I just did straight pipes and will be keeping the stock exhaust for emissions requirements. OR if i just get tired of the straight pipe drone one day! Lol Here's what i am doing to the stocker...

I really would like to cut out the clam shell part that sits right after the cat but i dont think i can get a tool in there to do it...at least not with the access hole i currently have. We'll see though, i may still cut more of the body out and do more work. Doing more work might not make any noticeable differences in power though...who knows. The red is the cut i would like to make. The blue is exhaust flow and the green is the plate i will weld to the body to seal it back up. As it sits...the exhaust will come out and slam right into that flat section and then exit out. I imagine this would sound similar to a catted straight pipe system...just more ghetto looking. Anybody ever done the mod this way??

Regards
Scot

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT