996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:30 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I just showed one of my childhood friends who's a fellow 6speeder this thread. Hopefully he's going to have this done on his car up in San Francisco, then there will be a NoCal rep of the TJW exhaust lol Kyle, hurry and get it done and post your thoughts!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:10 AM
golfguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
Sounds like an ingenious project that could work for the 997TT as well - the exhaust design is almost identical. I was going to suggest to anyone doing this that you could snake a larger coolant hose to a shop vac and use it to suck out fragments as you drill - just alternate the drill and the vacuum repeatedly. There is little chance of the metal fragments making it back through the catalysts' honeycomb into the turbine, but metal dust in the cat could cause it to overheat/ignite. The scenario is unlikely but sometimes a light backfire could suck things upstream
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Does anyone know how to put 100 cell or 200 cell cats into the stock system in place of the main (first) stock cat? One can get them from a number of places...does anyone know the exact size/dimension of the stock cat? If another 500 dollars, no big deal.....

JB
great thread guys!

when i was first looking at looking an aftermarket system for my 997tt, my porsche wench commented that the 997tt and 996tt systems looked similar except for the location of the outlet pipes. he said an alternative approach would be to cut open the upper rear of the inlet pipe before the muffler to remove the secondary cat as well as rerouting the exhaust flow (i assume he was referring to this mod). i didn't go with his mod as i was unable to locate a used system.

i'll ask him to where to make the cuts on my 997tt oe system to remove the secondary cats and post pictures here next week using mine as a template marking the location.

there was a thread on rennlist on removing the secondary cats but the picture links are down. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...+stock+exhaust

several of the european tuners use modified oe exhaust systems including ruf and 9ff. http://9ff.de/en/products/details.ph...=34&relID=2858

Last edited by golfguy; 08-05-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:57 AM
scott is infamous around these parts
Wow! Just followed Drh's instructions, using the unibit. As he said, 10 minute job. Amazing results. Just what I'd been looking for. And for $ 60.00. Previously tried a Fabspeed system which was too loud for me. This is perfect. Kudos to you guys!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:22 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scott
Wow! Just followed Drh's instructions, using the unibit. As he said, 10 minute job. Amazing results. Just what I'd been looking for. And for $ 60.00. Previously tried a Fabspeed system which was too loud for me. This is perfect. Kudos to you guys!

TJW mod....I got on it today for the first time....WOW...holy beetle juice batman!

Wow.

Good luck everyone. It is a great mod. No CEL's now times 10 days. No issues and I have 2.25" holes.

JB

Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
How hard is it to take off the tips?

- KJ

Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by KJM3

- KJ
About as hard as removing a lug nut.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KJM3

- KJ
On my car, 13mm nut. It was hard at first. I got penetrating oil from the auto store (stuff stinks...do outside on a blacktop surface....). No issues.

I used a 13mm hex-1/4" extender that was about 2" and a 1/4" ratchet that was about 10 inches long at most (small). One good push and off it came. I used blue Loctite on the way back. No falling-off of the tips since. Oil....$3-4, extension $3, loctite ~$5. Fun, priceless. Had the metric hex already.

I sprayed the car off after removing the tips before using any tools/etc or starting the car to avoid possible combustion......fyi.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

JB

Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
On my car, 13mm nut. It was hard at first. I got penetrating oil from the auto store (stuff stinks...do outside on a blacktop surface....). No issues.

I used a 13mm hex-1/4" extender that was about 2" and a 1/4" ratchet that was about 10 inches long at most (small). One good push and off it came. I used blue Loctite on the way back. No falling-off of the tips since. Oil....$3-4, extension $3, loctite ~$5. Fun, priceless. Had the metric hex already.

I sprayed the car off after removing the tips before using any tools/etc or starting the car to avoid possible combustion......fyi.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

JB
That was PERFECT!

Thanks!!!
- KJ

Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
I'm doing the Mod this weekend

For those of you on the west coast near Malibu that are interested in hearing the mod before doing it yourself, I have good news, I am doing it this weekend. As a backup,
I bought a like-new stock turbo exhaust for $350 on Ebay today, so I have little downside. If I don't like it, I'll just replace it....but judging from all the post's, I think it's gonna be good!! More soon........

Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zuma 911
...As a backup, I bought a like-new stock turbo exhaust for $350 on Ebay today, so I have little downside. If I don't like it, I'll just replace it....but judging from all the post's, I think it's gonna be good!! More soon........
If anyone wants to do the same, I have a spare stock 996TT exhaust with 15K miles boxed up and ready to ship. Make me an offer.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
I bought a like-new stock turbo exhaust for $350 on Ebay today, so I have little downside. ......
I'll be putting up an X-50 exhaust with the internal baffles removed for sale soon, which is a more advanced version of this mod.......really gives a nice HP gain and quicker spoolup.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
I did the mod today. It took about an hour, but I moved slowly. It was a little more difficult then I expected. The surface is very curved back inside. I used a center-punch to get a dipple. I started with a 1/4" pilot hole, then 1/2", and then 1 1/8". I was unable to use the larger unibit I have, as it is to long and would hit the next wall beyond the hole. So for now, I have a 1 1/8" hole symetrically placed on both sides. There is a significant difference in sound. I also believe the engine spools up a little quicker. To me the sound is enchanced, but not overly loud. I most likely will continue to 2", but for now I am impressed with the change. No CEL and so far no indication other than success, but I only did a ten mile canyon run so far. Thanks to everyone who paved the way for my mod. If you are near Malibu, and want to hear it in person, shout me out with a PM. Heres a couple pic, the angle is misleading, the holes are centered on the pipe. Tomorrow I get my flash codes!!yes!!

Name:  x3.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  24.3 KB
Name:  x4.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  29.0 KB

Last edited by Zuma 911; 08-09-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 PM
The airgun bits are not too deep...one does not get into the back of the pipe....BUT USING THEM IS LOUD. I let my mechanic do the work because I don't have the airgun and he is quite good z(so it cost me 2 hours of his time and a few bits...3 to be precise).... One "could" do it oneself with the right tools.

I hope you enjoy it. As Wooosh showed, one gets HP and torque.

If others do this, please post similar stories and locations....it will be helpful to others to have a "local" with the mod to hear. I sure would have liked the local sound check...

Now at over 2 weeks and no CEL. My car nut friends have all noticed and like the lower sound more. 2+" does give more grow and may not be to all tastes....no "drone" but also not silent....it is almost a muffler bypass at that point I suspect.

I did the mod today. It took about an hour, but I moved slowly. It was a little more difficult then I expected. The surface is very curved back inside. I used a center-punch to get a dipple. I started with a 1/4" pilot hole, then 1/2", and then 1 1/8". I was unable to use the larger unibit I have, as it is to long and would hit the next wall beyond the hole. So for now, I have a 1 1/8" hole symetrically placed on both sides. There is a significant difference in sound. I also believe the engine spools up a little quicker. To me the sound is enchanced, but not overly loud. I most likely will continue to 2", but for now I am impressed with the change. No CEL and so far no indication other than success, but I only did a ten mile canyon run so far. Thanks to everyone who paved the way for my mod. If you are near Malibu, and want to hear it in person, shout me out with a PM. Heres a couple pic, the angle is misleading, the holes are centered on the pipe. Tomorrow I get my flash codes!!yes!!

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...urrent=ex3.jpg

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...urrent=ex4.jpg

Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 AM
kzrsoize is infamous around these parts
I have been interested in this mod since i first read about it weeks ago, and have been following since. I took my TT into Loren at nine11 design in Montclair, Ca for a suspension upgrade, and asked him about this mod. He said the mod appeared to be safe and easy, and agreed to perform it. Heres the funny part, he calls me up and said he had the car on the lift and looked into my exhaust and what do you know the fairy exhaust mother was already there. I guess the previous owner had this mod done. Wow this whole time i thought this was what a TT was supposed to sound like, i was wrong. In all honesty i always wondered if i had an aftermarket exhaust.

I live in the West Covina area if anyone is interested in hearing before drilling.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by kzrsoize
I have been interested in this mod since i first read about it weeks ago, and have been following since. I took my TT into Loren at nine11 design in Montclair, Ca for a suspension upgrade, and asked him about this mod. He said the mod appeared to be safe and easy, and agreed to perform it. Heres the funny part, he calls me up and said he had the car on the lift and looked into my exhaust and what do you know the fairy exhaust mother was already there. I guess the previous owner had this mod done. Wow this whole time i thought this was what a TT was supposed to sound like, i was wrong. In all honesty i always wondered if i had an aftermarket exhaust.

I live in the West Covina area if anyone is interested in hearing before drilling.

Wow. Funny. You should contact the dealers on the service book and ask...

have you had any problems because of the mod? In that respect, you and your car represent a huge find for all of us.... By your lack of knowing about it, I suspect there is absolutley nothing it caused (other than better sound and more power).

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT