996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which oil provides the best protection? You might be surprised to find out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Hey 1999, don't even think about having another pop!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Great article...good debate...I'm sick of hearing how all of Porsche's decision are simply financial (Mr. 1999) and not for the good of the car/performance. Prove it or go stop please.

ps. My mechanic said not to use Redline as it does not contain detergents...and I am not tearing my motor apart every other week (like race teams do). If you use it, he suggests, at least every other fill use an oil with a detergent in it. I've got a good mechanic BTW.

I don't recall ever saying anything of the sort. Stop reading into what is said and read what actually IS said.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Actually, the primary reason more oils are not approved by Porsche is because many refuse to provide Porsche with the financial incentive to get on the list. Like the tire companies, it takes a great deal of money to get a car manufacturer to mentioned your name, let alone actually use your product.

This is why you see approved products one year and then unapproved when the contract expires, even tho the product has not changed specs.
This is absolutely true. However, this is not to say that a car
manufacturer will recommend any oil from a vendor that pays
them. A car company may only test oil A,B,C and then only
accept A and B, and say so in the owner's manual, and because
of some financial relationship with A, they may recommend A,
but no money will get Porsche or anyone else to recommend
oil C or X,Y,Z. If a car breaks down, it is the car manufacturer's
problem. No one is going to be able to initially blame the oil
company or get any recourse from them, so it behooves the car
manufacturer to recommend whatever will keep the car as safe
as possible for at least the life of the warranty. And there is no
mode of oil insufficiency that a car manufacturer can ignore,
that they can be sure will only surface after the warranty is
expired. To distrust Porsche this much is to question why
you'd ever buy their car in the first place.
Joe

Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I don't recall ever saying anything of the sort. Stop reading into what is said and read what actually IS said.
WTF does this say then?

Actually, the primary reason more oils are not approved by Porsche is because many refuse to provide Porsche with the financial incentive to get on the list.
This is why you see approved products one year and then unapproved when the contract expires, even tho the product has not changed specs.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Great article...good debate...I'm sick of hearing how all of Porsche's decision are simply financial (Mr. 1999) and not for the good of the car/performance. Prove it or go stop please.

ps. My mechanic said not to use Redline as it does not contain detergents...and I am not tearing my motor apart every other week (like race teams do). If you use it, he suggests, at least every other fill use an oil with a detergent in it. I've got a good mechanic BTW.
Redline *racing* oil has no detergents, but their
standard synthetic motor oils certainly do:

"Synthetic Motor Oil
Red Line’s synthetic motor oils are designed to provide the highest protection, cleanliness and superior drain intervals with the lowest friction for your gasoline, diesel, motorcycle or marine engine. We use the most stable components available and formulate our products for wear protection and friction reduction across a wide range of engine operating conditions. Red Line's products are unique because they contain polyol ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines. These synthetics have a natural multigrade property which allows our chemists to avoid bulking up an oil with unnecessary additive packages."

Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Redline *racing* oil has no detergents, but their
standard synthetic motor oils certainly do:
Thanks Joe...yes we were talking about the Redline racing product.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
This is absolutely true. However, this is not to say that a car
manufacturer will recommend any oil from a vendor that pays
them. A car company may only test oil A,B,C and then only
accept A and B, and say so in the owner's manual, and because
of some financial relationship with A, they may recommend A,
but no money will get Porsche or anyone else to recommend
oil C or X,Y,Z. If a car breaks down, it is the car manufacturer's
problem. No one is going to be able to initially blame the oil
company or get any recourse from them, so it behooves the car
manufacturer to recommend whatever will keep the car as safe
as possible for at least the life of the warranty. And there is no
mode of oil insufficiency that a car manufacturer can ignore,
that they can be sure will only surface after the warranty is
expired. To distrust Porsche this much is to question why
you'd ever buy their car in the first place.
Joe
You are absolutely correct. As for trusting Porsche, it has nothing to do with trust, but what is best for the car. To believe that everything Porsche does is without economic or financial consideration is to be naive. In most businesses, compromises have to be made and often, these compromise the quality of a product. If that was not the case, wouldn't the Porsche be closer to 100% carbon? How about the plastic componants in the car, such as the shifter. Is that the correct choice to maintain dependability?

RMS trouble? Coolant and oil leaks? Electrical problems? Intermediate shaft problems? Transmission popping out? Oil burning? Slipped cylinders? Plastic sparkplug sleeves with O rings? Water/oil intermixing? Ignition switch? Fuel pump problems? MAF? etc, etc, etc.

All these problems either occur from poor quality or from bad engineering. (and obviously operater caused). So, one cannot wonder why, if Porsche cannot make a simple componant such as a coolant reseviour that does not crack or an important componant such as an IMS that can withstand the moderate power the car delivers, then what makes you think that they know what they are doing with their choice of oil? Afterall, the approved list has changed dozens of times as if they are trying to find something that works.

Can we assume that Porsche's recommendation for always having their car's serviced at a dealer and that we only use Porsche supplied fluids and componants is because they want to maintain quality, or is there a financial consideration in making this recommendation?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Wow. There are really some outstanding points being made in this thread. From both sides.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
WTF does this say then?

It sure doesn't say anything close to what you are accusing me of saying. To refresh your memory, you said, I said : "all of Porsche's decision are simply financial". I didn't even say that their oil choice is all financial.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 PM
You are absolutely correct.
... minor editing...
We are close to agreeing. I am just saying that in
the case of oil recommendation, there is no financial
benefit to Porsche that would override their
recommending a less-than-completely-reliable oil,
to the best of their knowledge at the time, at
the risk of engine failures that would damage
Porsche's reputation. A MAF failure here and there
might be one thing, but any pattern of engine
failures would be intolerable.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks Joe...yes we were talking about the Redline racing product.
Ok, most *all* real racing oils have no detergents in them.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
The point of course is that there is some truth to ALL sides of these issues we are floating around here.

There IS a financial component: but Porsche would not certify an invferior product for the money..there are likely some great oils that cannot afford to achieve Porsche certification.

(My issue is oils that do not even achieve industry standard certifications, but instead say "use this oil X when you want an API Y type oil"... just get the damn cert!)

The HAAS oil discussion is a very, very interesting insight- I would not "trust" it, but rather use this as one input into my own understanding of what an engine needs.

At the end of the day it is how YOU drive and how YOUR engine runs that defines what oil YOU should use- recommendations based on internet postings should be taken with a grain of salt.

A

Last edited by ard; 04-06-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Banned
GrettW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alevine
Just curious, for those of you who use Amsoil which product do you use? There are many? Also, is your engine stock other than maybe a stage 1-4 upgrade?

This is very interesting reading.

Thanks,
Adam
I use amsoil 5w-40 european spec oil, and the only modification I have is a fabspeed exhaust. My advice to those who really want the most superior protection is to run amsoil's motorcyle oil, but only if you do not care about your catalytic converters/ o2 sensors, this oil for obvious reasons has the greatest sheer protection.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 AM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vicious
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Mobil1 was barely better than dino oil?
Isn't Mobil 1 still the factory Porsche fill?

Gary

Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
From a 2/06 Technical service bulletin:
"Porsche AG has reached an agreement with the engine oil manufactures, which involves setting a time limit on the validity of our engine oil approvals. The period of validity is between 2 and 3 years. Once this validity period has elapsed, the approval in question is revoked unless an extension is requested by the relevant manufacturer."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which oil provides the best protection? You might be surprised to find out...