996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Off Topic: Evo VIII vs WRX STi for wife...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Off Topic: Evo VIII vs WRX STi for wife...

Just an off topic question for you guys, just wondering what you thought about the EVO VIII and the WRX STi. My wife looked at both and drove them today and thought they were both peppy little rides. I know Shank, you went for the STi. I felt the STi was slightly quicker in the straight line but the handling seemed stiffer/better (with less sway) in the EVO. Both are rather ugly hehe, but for daily drivers, they sure seem like fun. Anyone else own either of these rides?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2003, 09:47 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Sharkster, The STI has subaru reliability which IMHO is far better than Mitsu's. I had bad experiences with in my earlier years with the conquest tsi and starion. Since then, I have not been a big fan of mitsu products. Tomrw I will take some more pics of the STI hooked up with rims, lowered a bit with Tien Coilovers, Defi Black-off guages. All I have now is downpipe, intake and a kick *** titanium/carbonfiber exhaust. Yes overall, both not slick cars, but I like the STI nose better.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Sharkster, The STI has subaru reliability which IMHO is far better than Mitsu's. I had bad experiences with in my earlier years with the conquest tsi and starion. Since then, I have not been a big fan of mitsu products. Tomrw I will take some more pics of the STI hooked up with rims, lowered a bit with Tien Coilovers, Defi Black-off guages. All I have now is downpipe, intake and a kick *** titanium/carbonfiber exhaust. Yes overall, both not slick cars, but I like the STI nose better.
Thanks for the report Shank. I have to say they're both really amazing cars for the money. I'm guessing with Tien coilovers it'll handle a lot better than stock (did you notice the tail getting swing happy? maybe it's for the drifters lol). I have to say I did notice that stock vs stock the STi seemed quicker to me. Then again out here they want like about 10k over sticker...

Old 08-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Yupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these parts
don't own either, but have spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of both. My friend didn't know which one to get so he bought both (nice thing about a 30K sticker price)

Anyway, although they are the same target market I felt they were much different cars.

I'll start with the Evo...
When I first got in and looked around I was always thinking econo-box, I know its not supposed to be a BMW or Porsche, but I couldn't get over the very plastic interior. The Evo seats are more supportive and more comfortable over time than the STi's but that was the only real interior high point. The real thrill of the Evo is the handling...I haven't felt anything that tight to road since the shifter cart I used to drive. It is truly an amazing handling little car. The engine is very peppy, but needs to be treated like a redheaded stepchild to get the most out of it..(ie beat on) It loves to be revved out like crazy and would be happy to spend all its time over 5,000 rpm. The Evo to me was the true sports car meant for the track put on the street.

The STi...
At first glimpse I was a little more impressed with the interior and the layout, it looked like more time went into the design here. As far as the driving personality I found it to be a lot like the 996tt. It could much more easily be left in too high of a gear and you could cruise around town in it. The extra torque and engine size made a big difference to me for everyday driving. As far as the handling I found it a little stiffer sprung than the 996tt but came across with some of the same characteristics. Understeers at the limit, but can be put into a nice power induced 4 wheel drift.

The main difference I could find was that the Evo liked to be thrown into everything all out and would smile and walk away like nothing happened. The STi groaned and moaned a little about it but with some coaxing (little more gas) found itself right at home.

The decision to me is if you want it for a daily driver or a weekend track rocket. I don't think I could handle the Evo as a daily driver with the interior the way it is and how it demands high revs for true performance. And even though the STi comes with less amenities without an options I would take it as the daily driver out of the bunch and put a radio in it. (Maybe change the seats, but not necessary for your wife unless she is 6'2" - 235lbs like me ) But that is what I found after spending a little more than a day with each of them.

Things may have changed after more time, however that is all I can tell you about. As for my friend he liked the Evo better because he likes the rev it out and throw it into corners thing.

~ Jason
03 X50 Black/Black

Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
seriously, buy the BMW 330i performance package, or the new S4.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:16 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
You guys have wives that like cars?! Wow!

My wife thinks a car is like a blender or toaster. She never washes it. Never maintains it. Keeps running into stuff. First it was this pole. Then the side of the garage. At this point, it smells like dog ****, stains all over, two dents, two areas where paint was scuffed off, and we're only 30 months into the lease...

I think a Hummer would be more appopriate for her next vehicle... assuming it has like a plastic, water proof interior.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Yupkwondo
don't own either, but have spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of both. My friend didn't know which one to get so he bought both (nice thing about a 30K sticker price)
Jason thank you ever so much for that report. I found it VERY interesting and I really agree with what you said. It just seemed to me that the EVO was on rails and the STi was more of a drift machine- I guess two different ways to take corners lol. I found both interiors spartan but the EVO had better seats. Spartan in this case might be good for her since she always hauls bits and pieces aroun and anways. Also, it seemed a little roomier in the EVO in the back, which made it more comfy in that sense. Power-wise I certainly felt that the STi was the nippier of the two but I'm guessing with a few minor mods (DP, boost controller etc..) that can be easily fixed. I love going on weekend drives up the mountains/canyons around here and I think either would be a lot of fun but in stock mode I have more confidence in the EVO. I just wish the wings were ahem a little smaller

PS The differential adjusment in the STi is just plain cool

Old 08-07-2003, 03:16 AM
LOL, I think I really lucked out with my wife. She does like quick cars but she's also a complete computer geek like me and in fact used to be a game developer, which means I can play games on my PC, Xbox etc... in piece...

She drives a bit of a boat right now, a 2001 Jaguar XJR and it's plenty powerful but just doesn't handle worth a damn and in that sense either of these two cars would be quite "the" change...

Originally posted by racer63
You guys have wives that like cars?! Wow!

My wife thinks a car is like a blender or toaster. She never washes it. Never maintains it. Keeps running into stuff. First it was this pole. Then the side of the garage. At this point, it smells like dog ****, stains all over, two dents, two areas where paint was scuffed off, and we're only 30 months into the lease...

I think a Hummer would be more appopriate for her next vehicle... assuming it has like a plastic, water proof interior.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by 20C4S
seriously, buy the BMW 330i performance package, or the new S4.
As much as I live S4s I've had four friends that have had terrible luck with them Obviously the new one is pretty different (it's more HP and non-turbo). The M5 was certainly an alternative but she wants something of a beater that she can take anywhere and not worry about... But the 330i and S4 are let less "boy-racer" and more civilized but perhaps she's going through a mid-life crisis lol. She liked the blue one...

Old 08-07-2003, 10:38 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I've driven both, don't own either though. Personally my pic would be the subaru. Also, sharkster, just look around, there are plenty going around for MSRP from what I understand.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 PM
krm
krm is infamous around these parts
Don't own either, but have friends who have both. With the 2.5L engine (instead of the 2.0L for ROW), the US-spec STi seems to be more reliable and tunable (more displacement to play with) than the 2.0L Evo.

The EVO is definitely the rawer car of the two stock vs. stock. With mods, both can be tuned to be perfect canyon carvers. Can't go wrong with either one, but I would pick the Sti because it looks slightly better overall.

As per getting one without paying a premium, there should be no trouble getting one at MSRP. (maybe a little bit more difficult in CA if that's where you are from). A friend recently picked one up in the Northeast at MSRP and said there were a few in stock in the regional dealers he visited as well.

Last edited by krm; 08-07-2003 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:30 PM
rxbox is infamous around these parts
women and turbos dont go together (unless they're in the passenger seat)!

plan on a turbo timer

Old 08-07-2003, 11:00 PM
LOL she has done great so far with my car