996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

missing service records...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 AM
kayman is infamous around these parts
missing service records...

I've been trying to locate some service history on my recent vehicle purchase (03 996tt) but have had no luck. I called all the dealerships in the area and only one has a few warranty repairs but no service records. I also checked the carfax and there are only 2 records of service repairs and they were done at around 11k miles. I purchased the car at a non-porsche dealership with 39k miles.. and it runs great. I had a porsche dealership do a complete inspection and 30k service and pretty much everything checked out. Now my question is ... is it at all possible that the previous owner never did even a single oil change? Would a car like this even make it to 39k miles without some kind of regular maintenance? The car had only 1 previous owner and it was titled as corporate fleet. Just wondering if I should be concerned or just be happy that its running. I'll be getting an extended warranty just for peace of mind.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
If you had a PPI done they should have told you if the oil had not been changed. Porsche calls for a oil service 30k or 2 years regardless of milage. Worst case your over by 2 years (depending on production date) and 9k miles. (Personally I do it every 5k or once a year which ever comes first). Since you already own it. No sense in going crasy thinking about it. The extended warranties are just "insurance policies" that require a pre inspection also. If you don't have full service records they may not write the coverage for the car. Read the policy and all the fine print before you buy it.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
+1

Unless YOU can prove the car had the mfg recommended maintenance since day one, the warranty can be denied.

One of those things you do BEFORE you buy...

I am surprised that you can't get a listing of every Porsche visit from any dealer based on the VIN- that should be availaible from any dealer. Each visit should list the service done and a dealer code (I think-Disclaimer- my experience is BMW, and that's how they do it)...if they don't track maintenance but only warranty claims, using the dealercode you might call those dealers and ask about maintenance.

Good luck

A

PS They may write coverage, but then deny claims...

Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
Porsche dealers are not conected at all. The BMW dealers are. All the records are stored in the BMW key.... where as the Porsche isn't. I just went through selling a TT and didn't have the previous service records. The car was a Cali car... but I sold it out of Michigan. There was no way of getting any records unless I went to Cali and to the specific dealer. We just had a PPI and a oill service... and all was good.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
kayman is infamous around these parts
I talked to the dealership, and they said since i had the inspection done, I will be okay... hopefully theyre not just saying that to make a sale.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Ask the dealer that's done the warranty work to fax you a copy, you may find the original owners name/address and he can tell you where it was serviced.