996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC ECU Reflash - A few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ebaker
The way I understand it if you get the out of the box program close the ECU will adapt/self tune itself to optimum.
Oh, man...someone sold you a line.

Shiv, I believe that's your cue....

Be good,
TomK

Old 04-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Kenny,

With my previous setup, I hit 562 rwhp on a Dyno-Dynamics dyno and 600 rwhp on a Dynojet at the same BAR on the same fuel (1.3 BAR and 103 octane....albeit on two different days).

So the difference, at least in my case, was only about 6%.

I'll be dynoing my new setup on the same Dyno-Dynamics dyno after I get my car back.
Make sure the Dyno Dynamics is in Shootout Mode

http://www.to4r.com/calcs/pwtq.php

Old 04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ace996

And to hear a tuner say that the extra money for a dyno tune is not worth it is disturbing...is it just a ridiculous amount of money for dyno tuning or the box-tunes are just that aggressive? The benefit of dyno tuning is not just in peak power production, but power delivery and level of safety.

Disturbing or not, the simple truth is the programs we have developed work. You can add a little more boost, or run a little higher AFR or hit another degree or two and gain a "little" more but we have done that already based on exhaust type, octane, climate etc. Our "out of the box" programs are based on 7 years of tuning and hundreds of files based on many variables. So in the end you probably are going to gain very little to nothing. And honestly when I tune a car I spend a lot of time on all the maps and it is no cheaper than a predeveloped program.

In answer to your question, yes. The programs are fairly aggressive. Not to mention the amount of time we spend mapping the TB, knock etc. It is more than HP but total power under the curve and drivability. There are no secrets in this game.

As far as the question about control from GIAC on pricing. NO this is not something that they say you must. The margins are given and I can choose to sell it at cost. They do not tell me I have to do anything. I choose not to because it serves no one any good. Do others bump the retail, sometimes but a majority of keep it suggested retail out of respect for one another. I am not controlled by anyone.

I'm sure, and I bet you agree, others do not have the same knowledge/service you are providing yet they are benefiting from the higher prices. I know this is an "international" forum, but that's just not right in the USA.
Perhaps, I guess out of most of these "tuners" I am one of the few that builds motors, tunes and yes also flash. But I don't really worry about what others do. I provide a service a knowledge base the stems from the 356 to the present TT. Not everyone can say that. If they feel what I have to offer is right, then great. If not, then that is life. I a little different than most. I am not arrogant enough to say I should charge more than X company because they don't tune or build motors. That is also bad business.

Yes, the cost is not cheap, but Damos files will only get you so far. Cost will vary depending on hours of development. What kind of development? Flashloading, U-select files allowing you to choose what programs you want and how many all switchblade through the OBD2 port. That is not main stream and takes many hours to develop and test. It is not a premium because it is a Porsche, it is simple ROI.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 04-08-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ace996
Then the "flashers" would need to earn their pay by actually "tuning" cars...

Maybe the industry should not be so loose with the term tuner. Few on this board tune or build anything. Sad, but true. They will sure as hell sell you something though.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
ROI? Who's ROI, yours? You obviously feel that the price is justified for your ROI; but what about those that don't build engines, do their own programing or have their own dynos? These "flashers," as Ace996 put it, are in the majority, not the minority. Flashers are therefore in a winfall situation because of the agreement struck between the members of your "tuner/flasher cartel"-all at your customers' expense. As for respect for other tuners, what about respect for the customer? As it stands now, the customer is getting screwed-particularly the Porsche customer, because of your arrangement. I'm curious, on what other products has the "tuner/flasher cartel" agreed to artificially inflate pricing-brakes, suspensions, exhausts? (not to mention other makes like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc)

Also, please understand that I am making my points based on principal, not cost. It wouldn't matter if the pricing issue was one of tens or hundreds of dollars instead of thousands, or even tens of thousands. Though admittedly, the amount of money certainly adds a bit more sting in cases such as these.

While we (I) appreciate the knowledge you, and others like you, impart for "free" on forums such as these as well as other media, it is simply dishonest to price fix behind the scenes. In my line of business people have lost their jobs (if they were lucky) or gone to jail for such practices.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Huh price fixing? Most flashers get 15 percent spread. You think they are not entitled to make some profit?

This thead is halarious! You think that the next guy thinks it worth the time to do the work for 5 percent or ten? Hell it is hard to keep the doors open with an average of 30 points.

You are missing the point. No one wants to under cut the next guy. In othe word do it for free!

You want lower pricing call the manufactors and tell them.

I can tell you from building kits for EFI conversions Supercharger kits to our valve covers you have no idea the cost of development! I have some products that 3 years later have not completed my. ROI due to on going develoment or improvments. Investment and tooling if done in the US is not cheap and it is gnetting worse

Sorry for the typos I am on my phone

Old 04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen
Remember I Want You To Come To Texas And Finalize My Program... I Will Have A Dyno Available For You Is There Anything Else You Will Need??

Old 04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Finality is infamous around these partsFinality is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
You want lower pricing call the manufactors and tell them.
My sentiments exactly its like calling Best Buy and complaining about the price of a copy of Windows Vista. GIAC certainly have imposed a large amount of 'Porsche tax' fare more than is necessary.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
There's nothing wrong with profit-all for it. 5%, 10%, 15% or whatever you can get WITHOUT PRICE FIXING is great. If the margins are that low, then why do you all need to get together? Nice duck on the other products...

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm done...

Old 04-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Nice duct on the other products? I am not sure what your point is nor what you mean. Margins with any of the venders? 30 points is the max you get and that is if you have done business with them for 15 years. Hell, if buy Ruf stuff and they give a whomping 10%. I will only do that for my good customers because it is not worth the headaches and when you add shipping to that I make almost nothing. So what question did I duct. You don't want to believe that we get peanuts for margin in this business? Their thoughts are “you can make it on the install” Sad truth hurts eh. Most of us work our *** of and make little to nothing in the scheme of things. You would choke if you knew what my overhead was. Does that answer your question?

You can call it what you want however ridiculous it sounds, but my bet is you do not own a business and do understand no one wants to get in a war, you end up giving things away for what? To undercut the next guy? That doesn't make sense nor serve any purpose in the long run. Where is the price fix? GIAC has a suggested retail and we stick to that. GIAC doesn’t make us do anything. If I want to give you the software I can, but I won’t and don’t. Same with the others, no one has a gun to our head. We don't stick together in the sense you want to make this out to be. We don’t have a secret meeting on the phone once a week! It is someone calls me and says I am dealing with such and such and they want to sell me the product for X instead of your Y. My response is I doubt that so go ahead and get it from them. I have no interest in taking business on price. People buy from me for value, not necessary price. These are not Neon’s we own here.

FWIW do you know how much the software alone cost for tuning? How about the time it takes to write it. It is not cut and dry either. Just because you have software that writes doesn’t mean anything, you need a lot more than that. Again, these are all old conversations we are having here. In this industry you will honestly get what you pay for. I was an owner of Porsches long before I opened this company and have been screwed by many people that were offering the same thing for half the cost. Now that I am in the industry I laugh because I know better.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 04-09-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
X1
prubin is infamous around these parts
I've always trusted my car at Stephen's shop. He works his tail off for his customers, and his work is first class. His honesty, integrity, and many years of experience (plus his dedication to the PCA and Panorama) have earned my respect and gratitude.

Originally Posted by PorschePhd
I was an owner of Porsches long before I opened this company and have been screwed by many people that were offering the same thing for half the cost. Now that I am in the industry I laugh because I know better.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by manalex
There's nothing wrong with profit-all for it. 5%, 10%, 15% or whatever you can get WITHOUT PRICE FIXING is great. If the margins are that low, then why do you all need to get together? Nice duck on the other products...

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm done...
You seriously have no clue what you are talking about. Stephen and his company are highly respected members of this board and who the heck are you?

Stephen buys his products from the manufacturer for a fixed price and then makes a reasonable profit when he sells it to the consumer. This is business 101! I suggest you lighten your tone because I have no problem banning you for your worthless comments.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
awesome... ban for being an idiot

jeez, you tuners should know that we pay enough for these cars to start with. the tuning should be FREE! now someone sell me a set of k24/18g hybrids for cost please.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Perhaps the issue is not with the "sellers" but with the wholesalers/manufacturers...
Case in point...

JIC Cross coilovers for 996TT are $2800.
JIC coilovers for STI is $1700.

They are the SAME coilovers, same model.

I won't even discuss the cost of exhausts or other parts....

Yes, the "Porsche-Tax" is ridiculous...much like many other high-end cars. I just can't believe the costs for a "flash"...a dyno/road tune, yes I understand will be more money and is worth the expense.

Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 04-09-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't know about that, but you can bet I will call Paul in the morning!

Some things are not cut and dry. For example. I built a supercharger kit for the Boxsters. We made everything then sent it out to be made for production. The plastic rotto molded pipes you would guess are not that much cost me over 12K to have the molds made, then you have to buy a certain amount of them at a time or they will not make the mold. The cost of the pipe to be made is separate from the molding cost. Now consider all the other components in the kit, brackets, hoses, we have to make headers, injectors, blower, relocation brackets and so on.

Yes in the end when we see our ROI the cost will drop like a rock, until then we have spent 2.5 years making this kit and have a long way to go to recoup any of those cost. I will not break even in 2.5 years because even though I control everything on the kit the margins are slim to keep the cost down so we can move units. Not to metion the changes we make along the way. Like I got sick of dealing with the CNC guys so I bought my own Fadal!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC ECU Reflash - A few questions