996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC ECU Reflash - A few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Well there are just a tad more Audis running around than Porsche X50s. Not to mention they are not even close to the same Motronic version. The Audi is not even in the same league.
true. however, those stage 3 s4s are fasssst, especially on race gas. i can barelly keep up with them.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
SinisterSC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ace996
Perhaps the issue is not with the "sellers" but with the wholesalers/manufacturers...
Case in point...

JIC Cross coilovers for 996TT are $2800.
JIC coilovers for STI is $1700.

They are the SAME coilovers, same model.

TomK
Don't forget that quantity is taken into consideration when pricing aftermarket parts. Assuming that the STI coilover and 996TT coilover both require the same amount of NRE, I can guarantee that they are making more money on the STI coilover in the long run.

I don't have much to say on the ECU flashing conversation except that I am a firm believer in dyno tuning, if even just to verify the promised performance of a given product and for peace of mind to ensure that your A/F ratios are as advertised. I have been in numerous GIAC flashed cars, and the bang for the buck, even if inflated for some vehicles, is second to none.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drewTT
true. however, those stage 3 s4s are fasssst, especially on race gas. i can barelly keep up with them.
Yea, but a stage 3 is different turbos to. Put a set in your TT and program and see what happens

Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Finality is infamous around these partsFinality is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SinisterSC
Don't forget that quantity is taken into consideration when pricing aftermarket parts. Assuming that the STI coilover and 996TT coilover both require the same amount of NRE, I can guarantee that they are making more money on the STI coilover in the long run.
If your talking about the number of units they sell then your probably right, but the margin for the Porsche products are just a lot fatter.

All thats changed is the mounting brackets R&D on those items are not heavy at all. Take a look on ebay for PSS9s and see the price ranges that come up. Its all about $800 cheaper but add the word Porsche and suddenly the price jumps, its not a vendor issue its an OEM issue.....

Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
BOS - upgraded DV's, turboexhaustV8.0 - what is the expected power + torque increase for the car? I am very intersted in this for my next power upgrade until I can do the hybrid/upgraded turbos....

Thanks for the info and I hope the guy gets it...I have the same issues for my part time business and it isn't easy!

M

Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Finality
the Porsche products are just a lot fatter.
Wrong. It is not even close. If I call to get a part for GM, it is 40% straight from the dealer. Most of the Porsche Market is standard 10-15%. That is it. Do the math. It is terrible in this market. Unless you are the one making it the margins are very low. You have to look at quantity to make a fair buck. The perception of this market is because people assume that the retailer is bringing down large bank. I wish

Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
Wrong. It is not even close. If I call to get a part for GM, it is 40% straight from the dealer. Most of the Porsche Market is standard 10-15%. That is it. Do the math. It is terrible in this market. Unless you are the one making it the margins are very low. You have to look at quantity to make a fair buck. The perception of this market is because people assume that the retailer is bringing down large bank. I wish

Stephen, help me out man...set me up with some numbers please...

"BOS - upgraded DV's, turboexhaustV8.0 - what is the expected power + torque increase for the car? I am very intersted in this for my next power upgrade until I can do the hybrid/upgraded turbos...."

Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Finality is infamous around these partsFinality is infamous around these parts
I was referring to the OEM not the retailers.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON
Stephen, help me out man...set me up with some numbers please...

"BOS - upgraded DV's, turboexhaustV8.0 - what is the expected power + torque increase for the car? I am very intersted in this for my next power upgrade until I can do the hybrid/upgraded turbos...."
The DVs will not add anything, the exhaust if I recall durning testing made 25+HP. Your next step would be a tune, which would put you somewhere in the the 520-540 Crank range. Aside from all that, the drivablity and TQ curve is so much better. Porsche pulls so much for the lower end on these cars. It is sad. The program will put some life in the car under the boost curve!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
The DVs will not add anything, the exhaust if I recall durning testing made 25+HP. Your next step would be a tune, which would put you somewhere in the the 520-540 Crank range. Aside from all that, the drivablity and TQ curve is so much better. Porsche pulls so much for the lower end on these cars. It is sad. The program will put some life in the car under the boost curve!
Thank you very much! I will be doing this in teh future so knowing about these numbers is good for a baseline on how the car will proceed...coming from a M car this car already is surprising me and keeping me entertained...for NOW...

THanks again!

Mike

Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
It's a business, stupid.......

I work for a Fortune 100 company that sells it products at a premium over everyone else. In my product lines we have 65-85% market share. Why? Because we deliver value. Value in the original product, value in the support during the life of the product, and the highest resale value, if you would ever choose to sell it. In my lines, products are run to the end of life by the orginal owner.

All that said, there are two truths:

1. You NEVER get the price you don't ask for.

and

2. You NEVER get the discount you don't ask for.

It's a two way street. But if you deliver consistent VALUE, you can be premium priced, have a high market share, and have VERY satisfied customers. In the end, You get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Old 04-12-2007, 03:16 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Very true, asking does not cost anything.
However, to me, volumes are the real story. Below a critical mass, you end up with such a thin niche (and a well healed at that) that conventional market dynamics don't apply.
I understand there are 6,604 996TT coupes and 2,556 996TT cabs in the US. How many are owned by customers potentially interested by a flash ? 10% ? It's a small pond.