996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC ECU Reflash - A few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
GIAC ECU Reflash - A few questions

I'm getting ready for a few more mods, ECU re-flash being the one with the most bang, also biggest buck. I've seen many post and it seems that GIAC is the favored choice-or at least the most popular. As such I have a few questions:

There seem to be a bunch of "tuners" out there that provide programing from GIAC. However, all seem to be priced about the same. What is the reason for this? Does GIAC control the pricing of the re-flash? Where's the competition?

Do the "tuners" have the ability to change/modify the programs themselves or does that have to be done at GIAC? I suspect that the answer to this question is some do and some do not-if so, who does and who does not? Maybe more important: how knows how and who does not?

I like the optional hand-held re-flash unit. A assume that if you order this with the re-flash you do not need to send in your ECU to have it re-flashed. Please confirm.

Assuming the answer to the question above is confirmed, I suspect that the handheld unit will come with the new program. But what about the stock map that is in your existing ECU? Can you go back to that if needed? I assume there would not be a charge for this.

What about upgrading? My car's engine is currently stock with the k16s. This will likely change, i.e. larger turbos, exhaust, etc. In order to take full advantage of the modifications the ECU will need re-programing, right? If so, how is that handled by the various tuners? Cost based on time needed to reprogram, flat fee, etc...

GIAC seems to have worked out all the bugs and is pretty reliable when applied to an essentially stock car (like mine). Since I will likely continue modifying the car, is there anything in particular that should be avoided or that goes beyond the scope of what the GIAC remapping is meant to do? For example, hybrid turbos-can it be customized to maximize the performance associated with these units?

I understand that the differences between tuners is with the service they provide and I'm very happy to find that there are many on this board that appear to be very customer oriented. It is in the spirit of customer service that I ask these questions. As such I would certainly like to hear from those that provide GIAC as a product.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, we all keep our pricing structure the same as not to undercut one tuner over another. Some companies may not do that but you will find that most GIAC dealers respect one another.

We do have the ability on special occasion with the help from Garrett. Some of us like my self also spend our day writing programs for various other conversions. For example I write programs for Motec, Autronics, Electromotive etc.

You will need to send the ECU in once. Beyond that if you have chosen the options with the flashloader you can switch between your programs via the OBD2 port.

Yes, you can change them with the hand held unit.

You pay only for the difference in program. For example, the K16 file is 1995.00. the K25 is 2995.00. You simply pay the 1000.00 when upgrading as opposed to the 2995.00 when upgrading.

If you stick with the kits say from myself or another tuner with specific software you can not go wrong. Simply pay the difference in each kit as you move up the HP scale.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Can you please confirm if the K16 file is optimized for Australian Fuel.

I believe the USA use a different octane rating system. In Australia we have available both 98 & 100 RON octane fuel.

Could I expect a better result with a custom tune? I am also looking to install a Europipe exhaust at the same time.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:42 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
We have a file for both your octane and ROW settings and exhaust. No I do not think that the extra monies spent for a custom tune would yeild any better result.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
We have a file for both your octane and ROW settings and exhaust. No I do not think that the extra monies spent for a custom tune would yeild any better result.
OK, Thanks....what is the main difference in the K16 file USA vs ROW also taking into consideration the 98 & 100 RON Fuel.

Also would I run the same setting with 98 vs 100 RON?

Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Really too many to name. Your base map and the USA base map are not the same, everything from boost request to emissions.

Yes.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks...are you able to quote expected performance gains hp/torq (K16 file...Australian version) with Europipe Exhaust.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Expected output will yeild apx 520-540 HP.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 04-08-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MGS996TT
Thanks...are you able to quote expected performance gains hp/torq (K16 file...Australian version) with Europipe Exhaust.
My stock 996TT on 98 RON made 325 rwhp.

With the Australian GIAC file [98 RON] and an FVD exhaust I made 382 rwhp.
That's at least 500 bhp .. don;t forget Dyno Dynamics reads 15-20% lower than US DynoJet machines.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 11-30-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
manalex is infamous around these parts
Porsche Phd,

Thank you for your prompt response, and thus far only response from a GIAC dealer. Perhaps as we get out of the weekend we'll see more posts from others, but it says a lot that you've responded so quickly, and I thank you. Also, I like the fact that you have the ability to do your own programing-that is great and worth a lot in and of itself.

I am however, disturbed about what you said with respect to pricing:

"Yes, we all keep our pricing structure the same as not to undercut one tuner over another. Some companies may not do that but you will find that most GIAC dealers respect one another."

Does that mean that GIAC is doing this, like Microsoft does with its retailers, or are the dealers doing this on their own? If the former, then I guess we all have to decide if we want to play the game under GIAC rules or go elswhere. But if the later, then you are ALL doing a disservice to your customers. Artificially setting the prices is simply wrong-you obviously bring a higher level of knowledge/service to the table and as such should command a premium. I'm sure, and I bet you agree, others do not have the same knowledge/service you are providing yet they are benefiting from the higher prices. I know this is an "international" forum, but that's just not right in the USA.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by manalex
Porsche Phd,

Thank you for your prompt response, and thus far only response from a GIAC dealer. Perhaps as we get out of the weekend we'll see more posts from others, but it says a lot that you've responded so quickly, and I thank you. Also, I like the fact that you have the ability to do your own programing-that is great and worth a lot in and of itself.

I am however, disturbed about what you said with respect to pricing:

"Yes, we all keep our pricing structure the same as not to undercut one tuner over another. Some companies may not do that but you will find that most GIAC dealers respect one another."

Does that mean that GIAC is doing this, like Microsoft does with its retailers, or are the dealers doing this on their own? If the former, then I guess we all have to decide if we want to play the game under GIAC rules or go elswhere. But if the later, then you are ALL doing a disservice to your customers. Artificially setting the prices is simply wrong-you obviously bring a higher level of knowledge/service to the table and as such should command a premium. I'm sure, and I bet you agree, others do not have the same knowledge/service you are providing yet they are benefiting from the higher prices. I know this is an "international" forum, but that's just not right in the USA.
A bit sad the state of tuning for the TT. So few tuners (or should I say "flashers") and limited choices. The Porsche tax is unbelieveable...
"the K16 file is 1995.00. the K25 is 2995.00"...

And to hear a tuner say that the extra money for a dyno tune is not worth it is disturbing...is it just a ridiculous amount of money for dyno tuning or the box-tunes are just that aggressive? The benefit of dyno tuning is not just in peak power production, but power delivery and level of safety.

It'd be interesting to see this released for the P-World...
http://www.enginuity.org/
Then the "flashers" would need to earn their pay by actually "tuning" cars...

For the OP...get a dyno tune. You've spent enough money on your car, the extra cost of finding someone with the expertise to properly tune your car on a dyno and road (road-tuning being the most important!!!!) is money well spent.

Be good,
TomK

Old 04-08-2007, 01:13 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough

It'd be interesting to see this released for the P-World...
http://www.enginuity.org/
Then the "flashers" would need to earn their pay by actually "tuning" cars...

Be good,
TomK
Pretty sure there are a couple folks around doing actual 'tuning'...albeit very few relative to the 'flash' options.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:11 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
The way I understand it if you get the out of the box program close the ECU will adapt/self tune itself to optimum.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor
Vishnu Tuning is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ace996
And to hear a tuner say that the extra money for a dyno tune is not worth it is disturbing...is it just a ridiculous amount of money for dyno tuning or the box-tunes are just that aggressive? The benefit of dyno tuning is not just in peak power production, but power delivery and level of safety.
+1. Oh, what the hell, make it +2.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
don;t forget Dyno Dynamics reads 15-20% lower than US DynoJet machines.
Kenny,

With my previous setup, I hit 562 rwhp on a Dyno-Dynamics dyno and 600 rwhp on a Dynojet at the same BAR on the same fuel (1.3 BAR and 103 octane....albeit on two different days).

So the difference, at least in my case, was only about 6%.

I'll be dynoing my new setup on the same Dyno-Dynamics dyno after I get my car back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC ECU Reflash - A few questions