996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tuning my 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor
Vishnu Tuning is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
The trick is knowing what to do with it, once you crack the code...

Having the knowledge of the entire system, from fueling to cams and all
points between.
That's the easy part for any decent engine tuner.

-shiv

Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divi996tt
SCOTT!!! (Divexxtreme): I'm getting my Rear Admiral Lower Half Promotion !!!!! Even my 996TT is getting excited, LOL.

All,

I apologize for taking this O/T, but I wanted to let you know that Divi996tt has been permanantly banned from the site for impersonating a Naval Officer.

His comment above, combined with his writing style, made me very suspicious....so I decided to do a bit a bit of searching. Without getting into detail IRT my methods, it seems that he's not even serving in the US military...let alone as a Admiral.

Yesterday, I PM'd him that I believed him to be a fraud. He said he woud get back to me with "scans" of certain items (all I actually wanted was a valid military email address).

This morning, I attempted to PM him again to check on the status...only to get this...
Divi996tt has chosen not to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
Okay, back to the discussion on tuning.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM
MikeM is infamous around these parts
I've been looking for a product that would let me tune my turbo. While being able to flash the stock ECU would be optimal, this seems to be a workable alternative.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by deputydog95
It's a shame more people can't crack the motronic computer code. I have a tuner near my house that has done it. However, he can only do pre-996 stuff. He does have ability to do it, he just feels the market is over saturated and it's not worth the time and effort. He actually gave me a little demo of how he maninpulates the code on 993's and 944's. It's pretty cool. Not exactly rocket science once you have access to the ability to change the parameters. Trick is being able to access the codes.
I know someone who sucessfully develops open source tuning software for a number of cars. A few months back, he started to dig into Motronic ecus only to receive a not-so-subtle death threat from overseas. He stopped and now is working on something else.

As for our product, we aren't offering an open sourced edition software suite. Instead, we're adapting our PROcede computer for the 996tt/997tt. Very similar to the PROcede that we use in the BMW 335i. For those who want to learn more about it, visit www.e90post.com and scope out the Turbo/335i secion (http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58). Lots of results, reviews, etc,. The PROcedes are pre-mapped for the mods that the customer has on his/her car. However, we are allowing for user-tuner within certain adjustment ranges for those that want to "dial in" their particular car on the dyno. Completely optional but it is a feature that I expect many people to take advantage of. As for pricing, the only expense will be the PROcede itself. Each additional map, software upgrade, firmware upgrade, et,. will all be freely downloadable from the website at no charge. And the unit can be moved from Porsche to Porsche freely with no modifications to the actual ECU. Once removed, it is 100% untraceable. I'm heading off to the Long Beach Grand Prix today but will provide some more info later this upcoming week. Have a great weekend guys.

Cheers,
shiv

-shiv

Old 04-15-2007, 12:13 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your PROcede sounds very similar to the PROgram (now Unichip) The Racer's Group used to offer.

Greg A

Old 04-15-2007, 12:47 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Craig

On the other hand, I think it is unwarranted and inappropriate for a Johnny Come Lately to suggest that all 996TT tuning to date has been woefully incompetent, and to appoint himself the savior of Porsche tuning. Frankly, I don’t think we are in need of a savior. To the contrary, I think we are fortunate to already have several great options for Porsche tuning, including many of the sponsors of this fine forum. If a new company proves itself a competent Porsche tuner, I will give that company the respect that it has earned and deserves. Until then, I would expect that company to be respectful in its pursuit of Porsche tuning excellence, and to refrain from unwarranted and/or pejorative references to those tuners that have already earned our respect through proven results.

Regards,

Craig
Who are you talking about here? I've heard no such references or disrespectful remarks from the new, how did you say,...Johnny Come Lately...the Savior???

Your comments are nothing new to the tuning world, it's all been done time and time again.

Perhaps you should examine your own preconceived ideas and disrespectful comments about "Johnny", who's probably tuned more turbo cars than the Evil-Collective...

Ramone,
Yes, a basic flash is usually fine...but not optimal. Even a box-stock car will benefit from a custom tune. Once you add an intake and/or exhaust, there is more room to fine-tune and find power/response/safety.

Is it required?...no, much like a custom-tailored suit isn't required.

Be good,
TomK

Old 04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
You use this word all the time. What the hell does it mean?
Originally Posted by Zippy

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and it's interesting to see that a guy who has taken his tuning to the level you have is truly a victom of the "veil of secracy" to the degree to which I believe Shiv is referring.

Simply put, there are 4 guys on our planet that controll who who access to the inner working of our ECU.

1) Garrett Lim - GIAC
2) Gunther ? - Gemballa -> Sportec
3) Todd Knighting - Protomotive
4) Mr. Upsolure - Upsolute

Everyone else buys from these guys and does not TUNE themselves - this is the secret.

The developement of a broadly available interface would enable guys like Stephen Kaspar of Imagine Auto, Sam @ Speed Gallery and Todd @ EVO to custom tune your car, as you believe they currently can, without having to get a canned or semi-canned from one of the actual tuners listed above. Have you ever had 'this' disccussion during any of your conversations with 'tuners'?
Lol!!!!

Pejorative: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=pejorative

I respectfully disagree with your comments.

First, there are FAR more people/companies with “access to the inner workings of our ECU” than you list, including REVO, Ruf, The Racers Group, FVD, RS Tuning, 9ff, etc.

Second, those with “access to the inner workings of our ECU” do not “control the access” and have not done anything to prevent others from gaining “access.” This is not like the oil or diamond industries, where certain companies/countries “control the access” and there is a very real obstacle preventing others from gaining “access.” Anyone (you included) is free to take the time and learn the “inner workings of our ECU. Kasper, Zuccone, Sam and other tuners are free to break away from GIAC and “access the inner workings of our ECU” on their own. Many companies have elected not to independently gain “access to the inner workings of our ECU” and, instead, to form a partnership with an outside vendor that has taken the time to gain “access.” This is a business decision, plain and simple. Each of the GIAC vendors is free to go on his own at any time and offer ECU tuning unrelated to GIAC. These tuners have elected not to go this route, presumably because: (1) they recognize Garrett Lim’s vast knowledge and experience in the area of ECU tuning; (2) they lack Garrett’s depth of knowledge and experience; (3) they are satisfied with the GIAC product; and/or (4) they do not want to invest the time and money to create a competing ECU product. They are free to change their mind at any time. Their ability to explore the “inner workings of our ECU” is not “controlled” or limited in any way. Their “access” is not blocked by any of the companies that have invested the time and money to understand our ECU.

Third, custom tuning is offered by Zuccone and Kasper. The fact that the custom tuning is done in partnership with GIAC does not make it any less available at EVOMS or IA. EVOMS has done several custom tunes of late. Sumon can tell you about IA custom tuning.

Fourth, I am not sure you are correct that a “broadly available interface” would be widely utilized by tuners in place of the existing methodology. It might, but I personally suspect the demand is not significant. As I explained earlier in this thread, the market for 996TT tuning is very small, and the market for custom tuning is even smaller. Among those 996TT owners than do any modifications, a small percentage go beyond an exhaust and ECU tune. For these 996TT owners, an off-the-shelf product is more than adequate, and they do not seek custom tuning. There are only a very few of us – people like you and I – that go farther, and for whom custom tuning is desired. Consequently, I am not sure how many tuners would elect to break away from their existing relationships with third party ECU programmers, and offer custom tuning to everyone utilizing an in-house interface. Some might go this route, but I suspect many have no such interest. I personally have no desire to tune my car myself, nor to have a local shop experiment on my car with a interface they just picked up. I personally would prefer to have someone like Garrett Lim, Gunther, or Todd Knighton, with their tremendous experience and proven track record, do the tuning. That’s just me and I am not suggesting that others agree.

Regards,

Craig

Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute

... I personally would prefer to have someone like Garrett Lim, Gunther, or Todd Knighton, with their tremendous experience and proven track record, do the tuning. That’s just me and I am not suggesting that others agree.

Regards,

Craig
I would prefer several other to have open access to the motronic computer code. I agree 100% with Deputy Dog in this matter. We would all be better off in the long run (except, of course, those who currently hold the key), if more than the 3 listed above individuals and a very small number of other had the ability to become proficient at tuning our cars.

I'm not interested in having my car tuned by an individual who just gained access to the code last week as you suggest in your pejorative comments regarding my intentions upon which you are purely speculating, yet trying to spin as fact.

You would have a hard time convincing me that if 50 decent tuners were given access to the code today, our community wouldn't be be better served 10 years from now. I would like to have more than 2 qualified individuals on our continent. That seems fairly reasonable, doesn't it?

Last edited by Zippy; 04-15-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
If you guys want one more in the mix, email Jason at Heritage. He has the ability to tune the motronic ECU as he is doing it now on pre-996 models. If there was enough demand, I'm sure he would do it. This guy really knows his stuff. I can't wait for him to do something with the 996's.

http://www.heritagemotorcar.com/

By the way, his website is kind of weak.... although it's still better than protomotive's

Old 04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by teflon
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your PROcede sounds very similar to the PROgram (now Unichip) The Racer's Group used to offer.

Greg A
Hi Greg,
Both the Procede and the unichip/program are interceptor-style tuning solutions. That is the only similarity. I'm pretty familiar with the unichip so I can say that the Procede is very different in execution and in features that it offers. But in the end, it is how the computer is implemented and tuned that dictates how well it works in a car.

shiv, on I-5

Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Mike,

Please tell me who in particular is withholding the proverbial keys from everyone else? Who in particular is preventing others from gaining access? As I said before, access is available to anyone desirerous of gaining accesss. Therefore, I disagree with your suggestion that the current pool of ECU programmers are locking others out. I have seen no evidence of any such conduct or conspiracy. If you are aware of such sinister events occurring behind the scenes, please enlighten me. Otherwise, I will continue to believe that the keys to the kingdom are available to all interested tuners (and end users) willing to invest the time and effort.

That being said, I wholly agree that competition is good for everyone, and the 996TT community would benefit from additional quality options for ECU tuning.

Regards,

Craig

Ps - I am out of the house and typing this on my Treo. I will probably not be checking in again for several hours, if not until later tonight. Therefore, if you are inclined to give me yet another verbal beating (tongue in cheek), my feable attempt to respond will likely be delayed.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I know a few guys over in Eastern Europe... and when I mentioned that there are only a handful of guys able to do the motronic programming.... he laughed at me... he said its a common thing just like our AEM here in the States...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor

Mike,

On the other hand, I think it is unwarranted and inappropriate for a Johnny Come Lately to suggest that all 996TT tuning to date has been woefully incompetent, and to appoint himself the savior of Porsche tuning. Frankly, I don’t think we are in need of a savior. To the contrary, I think we are fortunate to already have several great options for Porsche tuning, including many of the sponsors of this fine forum. If a new company proves itself a competent Porsche tuner, I will give that company the respect that it has earned and deserves. Until then, I would expect that company to be respectful in its pursuit of Porsche tuning excellence, and to refrain from unwarranted and/or pejorative references to those tuners that have already earned our respect through proven results.

Regards,

Craig
Johnny here. heh... I don't think I've made any unwanted remarks regarding current tuners. At most I indirectly referred to one that was going out of his way, through questionable means, to diffuse our entry into this market. Again, I take such things as a compliment. By now, we're used to such a response when we enter new markets. Whatever slag we take from a few vendors, or supporters of such vendors, is understandable and just fine with use. We'll just let our product speak for itself. Until then we'll be happy to play this verbal chess game with Craig and a few others. It keeps me and the other Johnnys here entertained.

shiv

Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Please tell me who in particular is withholding the proverbial keys from everyone else? Who in particular is preventing others from gaining access?...
Craig, your very creative method of paraphrasing must serve you well, but quite frankly I find it tiring. Let's try and be straight up here. I never mentioned anyone was withholding anything - that's your creation. I never mentioned anyone is preventing others from gaining access - that is your creation.

I will allow you to get in the last word, as this discussion is going no where. You're intent seems to be to win the debate despite the facts. That game is not for me.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
I call Fraud

This can't be Shiv it must be a clone. He has been busy doing BMW, Subi and EVO stuff there is no way he can be playing with Porsches!

JK Guys....I know Shiv and can vouch for his talents. I look forward to seeing what can be done at his hand. I personaly don't like piggy backs but I can say he has been very successful tuning with them. Lots of satisfied customers. The fact he started his opening statement by discussing logging knock etc shows he has invested in the tools needed for success. Any mail order tunes will be less than ideal due to the "go no go" manufacturing tollerances. The abilty to fine tune a program will yeild some extra HP. Just be careful whoever is playing with the tune knows there ****. Adjusting something blindly would be a disaster. You must invest in the proper data logging tools.

That being said Protomotive offers a custom tune service. I have worked with them on my 993tt. I would e-mail data logs and send the ECU out for a recalibration. This IMHO is the best of both worlds. I got my custom program without having to figure out what to tweek.

Congrats Shiv...I need to stop by its been a while. Best wishes on the porsche programs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuning my 996tt