996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tuning my 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vishnu Tuning
Custom tuning will also be available. Not only from our northern California facilites but also during our out-of-state tuning trips that we do at least 6 times a year (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Portland, SoCal, NJ, DC, Denver, etc,.) I never quite understood why custom tuning is so hard to get in the Porsche market. A few % gain in a 500+hp is huge. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that your $100K+ is making the power it should and doing it safely. Basically, we're going to stick by guns and offer the same services to Porsche Turbos as we offer for the other cars that we support. Hopefully, you guys will like it.

Cheers
shiv
Shiv,

Glad to see you're posting updates here as well as RL - I wish you the best of luck. A few months from now I plan to flash my car, so in the meantime I'm keeping my eye on this thread.

But there's one question I have - it sounds as though I can get essentially the same hp/tq bump from this as I can from an Upsolute or GIAC chip. I'd been leaning towards GIAC because of their reputation for excellence and their experience. I do not want to reduce my motor's lifespan. I understand that obviously more hp/tq will probably do this, but I want my 150k+ motor (obviously turbos are a different story) to go 140k+ without a rebuild after I chip it, not 100k. Is this something I need to worry about?

That's the primary reason I was looking at GIAC over Upsolute. Upsolute's troubles, even though they were several years ago, have scared me off. I'm looking for reliability over power. I'd take -10hp for another 50k on my motor.

Let me know your thoughts on the issue!

Best,
Justin

Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Absolutely. The newest version of our PROcede freeware will allow the end user to make adjustments to fuel, timing and boost independantly, at several RPM points. We are going to limit the adjustment window just to keep things safe. But it should provide plenty of flexability for custom tuning purposes.

-shiv
Boost to a point. I really can't imagine the average (or above average) 996tt owner adjusting their fuel or timing without some real issues. Like destroying their motors.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
With a dyno and a proper air/fuel gauge... You shouldn't destroy your motor.. If you do because you took big steps and didnt watch any kind of air/fuel, EGTs, etc.. You shouldn't be touching the car..

Then again I've been playing with different PCM's for awhile maybe now.. Thats just my opinion though. Tuning is not rocket science.. VE Tables, Timing Tables, etc.. etc.. is all the same regardless of what PCM, FAST, BigStuff3, Accel DFI, etc.. etc..

I think its aimed for people like Mark and the other big HP guys, but if they offer custom tunes then the average user would like it, and if its a custom tune they don't need to be f*cking with it.

Last edited by cjv; 04-11-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Yes, that's true. I am not a 'power user', I don't want to tune this thing myself. I'd break it in a heartbeat, and while I don't mind frying a stick of RAM in my computer every so often, frying my TT motor is another story. I'll probably end up with GIAC, but if I can get the same thing GIAC offers with the same reliability for less money, PROcede starts to look real appealing..

Edit: and just as importantly, I don't want to break it in the long-term, either. I'm thinking 5 years down the road, not 5 months.

Justin

Last edited by justinmm2; 04-11-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I think it would be cool to have some access to the tuning.... we all live in different climates so atmospheric pressure is different as well... I would love to have some control over my afrs, timing, etc....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
With a dyno and a proper air/fuel gauge... You shouldn't destroy your motor.. If you do because you took big steps and didnt watch any kind of air/fuel, EGTs, etc.. You shouldn't be touching the car..

Then again I've been playing with different PCM's for awhile maybe now.. Thats just my opinion though. Tuning is not rocket science.. VE Tables, Timing Tables, etc.. etc.. is all the same regardless of what PCM, FAST, BigStuff3, Accel DFI, etc.. etc..

I think its aimed for people like Mark and the other big HP guys, but if they offer custom tunes then the average user would like it, and if its a custom tune they don't need to be f*cking with it.
Your right .......... I don't know a thing about this.

I have to question what you know about variables once off the dyno as they relate to your above statement. As for Mark, in all due respect, do you really know him? I don't believe you would find him tuning his own car. For one with a GT3 intake cam (none variable lift, variable timing) and stock pistons ......... one mis step with timing and the piston meets the valve. This won't be the first time this has happened. Without mentioning names this has happened with one very good tuner that I know of. So to keep it simple your statement just doen't make much sense as it relates to my personal experience.

Last edited by cjv; 04-11-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Your right .......... I don't know a thing about this.

I have to question what you know about variables once off the dyno as they relate to your above statement.
Did I say your name anywhere??? I think you know a thing or two more about these cars then I probably ever will (like seriously, not being an ******* about it)..

Yes having load aka car on the road changes things up as far as your air/fuel goes.. I guess I did something right the few cars I've tuned haven't blown up..

*edit* I hope you don't think I don't understand what happens when you take a car off a non load bearing dyno and did not put any thought into the fact its not going to change with load and certain weather conditions. You ever use a FAST or BigStuff 3? It's Live tuning.

Last edited by Powell; 04-11-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by Powell
Did I say your name anywhere??? I think you know a thing or two more about these cars then I probably ever will (like seriously, not being an ******* about it)..

Yes having load aka car on the road changes things up as far as your air/fuel goes.. I guess I did something right the few cars I've tuned haven't blown up..

*edit* I hope you don't think I don't understand what happens when you take a car off a non load bearing dyno and did not put any thought into the fact its not going to change with load and certain weather conditions. You ever use a FAST or BigStuff 3? It's Live tuning.
Powell,

I just don't want the general public to start thinking af's and timing is something that can be played with without consequences. Especially when you know the costs of the damages that can occur. These are not parameters that 99+% of the guys that own these cars should be paying with (my opinion).

A simple item such a high boost and the wrong octane can be very costly. So can simple ambient changes have a very detrimental affect on a motor tuned to the outer limits under a certain area's conditions.

I just want members to realize that experimenting with such parimeters can result in very costly unintended side effects. This usually ends up with some real hard feelings and claims that someone blew up someone's motor.

Last edited by cjv; 04-11-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
I agree with you though. I sent you a PM about it. You should have it by now

Yeah seriously the people who are looking at this setup please do realize this is not for the novice or even semi-advanced. Tuning errors, even if you put .1 or -.1 which may seem like nothing, can be the difference in a blown motor and a running motor.

Plus you are right, if you help people and they still do not realize the errors they made and they do pop something they instantly blame whoever was helping them.. Seen it way to many times

Old 04-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Former Vendor
Vishnu Tuning is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cjv
Boost to a point. I really can't imagine the average (or above average) 996tt owner adjusting their fuel or timing without some real issues. Like destroying their motors.
Just in case I wasn't clear earlier, there is no need for customers to modify the map in any way. If they chose to leave it alone, it will perform no worse than any number of baseline reflash/chip options. However, the ability to make small changes to fuel, timing and boost is there if the customer ever wanted to customize their map for their particular car and conditions. We will limit the adjustment range, making it very difficult if not impossible to cause any damage. Ultimately, it is expected than anyone who wants to take advantage of this feature will do so properly (on a dyno with basic logging devices). If not, just leave it alone and rely on the baseline map.

It's important to remember that the ability to custom tune your own car is for the purpose of making it run safer. Custom tuning allows you to find the right "recipe" that your car (with your upgrades, your gas, your conditions, your driving style, etc.) responds to. It allows the tuner to find the most conservative mapping allowable to achieve the desired output level.

Cheers,
shiv

Old 04-11-2007, 06:27 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
How soon before this unit will be available?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Shiv,

Is there away to make a piggy back device to fool the secondary o2's? I would like to run no cats sometimes.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 AM
cjv
Just in case I wasn't clear earlier, there is no need for customers to modify the map in any way. If they chose to leave it alone, it will perform no worse than any number of baseline reflash/chip options. However, the ability to make small changes to fuel, timing and boost is there if the customer ever wanted to customize their map for their particular car and conditions. We will limit the adjustment range, making it very difficult if not impossible to cause any damage. Ultimately, it is expected than anyone who wants to take advantage of this feature will do so properly (on a dyno with basic logging devices). If not, just leave it alone and rely on the baseline map.

It's important to remember that the ability to custom tune your own car is for the purpose of making it run safer. Custom tuning allows you to find the right "recipe" that your car (with your upgrades, your gas, your conditions, your driving style, etc.) responds to. It allows the tuner to find the most conservative mapping allowable to achieve the desired output level.

Cheers,
shiv
shiv,

I am not familiar with your product. I am embarrassed to say that as far as the Porsche World goes I have not heard about you or your product. If you were involved with some other types of cars you would have been under my radar.

Your product sounds similar to the Unichip that some of us used years ago, but for certain reasons no longer. Is your product similar in any aspects to the Unichip?

Last edited by cjv; 04-11-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
I think at one time he did a uni chip solution for Subarus in the early days.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Shiv,

I see you are using your best table manners for this introductory thread. Not sure how many boards you've been banned from in the past, but you used to entertain me with all the fights you would get into with many other respectable Evo and S4 tuners/shops.

Im sure there will be some future prospects who will think your piggyback is a good, cheap alternative to those tuners who actually tune a motronic.

Best of luck going upmarket!

Last edited by OhioGT2; 04-11-2007 at 06:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuning my 996tt