996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tuning my 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor
Vishnu Tuning is infamous around these parts
Red face Tuning my 996tt

I posted this yesterday but the thread was deleted soon after. Someone didn't know that we just became site sponsors
------------------------------

Hi guys,
Managed to get basic control over fuel, timing and closed loop boost just this past week. Using our PROcede engine computer. Very similar to the one we've been using in the BMW 335s with good success. Still in the process of refining the tune, adding temporary overboost, sustained load boost decay, etc,. But so far, so good. Took the car to Full Function (union city, CA) and tested the car on their AWD Mustang Dyno. All results on 91oct.

Stock, it baselined at a repeatable 325whp/353lbft of torque. Then I slowly enriched on-boost AFR form 12:1-12.9:1 to 11:1-12:1. Then gradually inched up boost while adjusting timing. Most knock prone are was right around 5k rpm. Required a bit extra fuel and little less timing. Seemed like the stock car is tuned pretty aggessively here to begin with. Boost eventually settled at 14.5psi peak, tapering down to 12-13psi by 6000rpm. Power gains were okay for starters. Peak power went from 325whp to 377whp. Torque went from 353lbft to 421lbft. Judging from today's tuning session, the car will make just as much torque as you want given octane constraints. I had torque as high as 450lbft but backed it off just to play it safe. It is my car after all But it's always fun to see the front end of the car lift up on the dyno.

On the road, the car was surprisingly stable. Did some mild part throttle tweaking with good results. No hint of knock on the logs. No reduction of the knock-induced boost control coefficient. No measurable AFR lag during sudden on-boost transitions. Real nice. The only thing that I had to go back and tweak was the 4800-5100rpm range as the car transitioned from mild boost to full boost. 2 out of 5 times, it would induce knock retard. Fixed it by pulling back timing in the 5-10psi range and by adding a short term (0.5 sec) fuel enrichement.

FWIW, this is a lowish reading dyno as far as Mustang dynos go. Last week it was dyno'd stock at 350whp/370lbft under virtually identical testing conditions at EIP's Mustang dyno (Santa Clara) . That's a pretty big difference from the 325whp/353lbft it put down on FF's heart-breaker dyno today. That said, I would expect the tuned numbers to be a bit higher on EIP's dyno. But that remains to be seen. Once I finish tuning this car, I'll take it around to different dynos just for fun. Maybe even to Sac Raceway to see what she runs.

Next up: Going to install upgraded bypass valves and do some more tuning. Still working on a Sport Chrono-like temporary overboost feature as well as some other trickery that may be more trouble than its worth... lol.

Cheers,
shiv
www.vishnutuning.com

Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Great to see you here and making progress with your project. Hurry up and get done fidling with your stage one so you can throw a different turbo on there and let the fun really begin!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
There goes the neighborhood!!!!

Good to see you here, Shiv...about time someone shared their tuning in public.

Best of luck,
TomK

Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ace996
There goes the neighborhood!!!!

Good to see you here, Shiv...about time someone shared their tuning in public.

Best of luck,
TomK
There goes the neighborhood? How come everyone always says that when we enter a market

Made good progress today and last night. I'll be posting up gobs of info within the next couple of days.

cpu77-- Thanks. Nice to be here. K16 maps are still being refined. Once that's all polished, K24 maps will be a cinch.

As with the BMW PROcede application, updating maps will be free and downloadable through our website. All map uploading/datalogging/diagnostics will be done through laptop, using PROcede freeware, by the end user. Never a need to ship the ECU to us. And the PROcede can also be removed with no traces. 100% reversible.

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by Vishnu Tuning; 04-08-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vishnu Tuning
There goes the neighborhood? How come everyone always says that when we enter a market

Made good progress today and last night. I'll be posting up gobs of info within the next couple of days.

cpu77-- Thanks. Nice to be here. K16 maps are still being refined. Once that's all polished, K24 maps will be a cinch.

As with the BMW PROcede application, updating maps will be free and downloadable through our website. All map uploading/datalogging/diagnostics will be done through laptop, using PROcede freeware, by the end user. Never a need to ship the ECU to us.

Cheers,
shiv
Rock the boat?...Brother, you just vaporized it!!!!
There's a wind of change blowing....it's very exciting...

Be good,
TomK

Old 04-08-2007, 04:09 PM
taizen is infamous around these parts
All map uploading/datalogging/diagnostics will be done through laptop, using PROcede freeware, by the end user. Never a need to ship the ECU to us.
This I like.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
K24 man! Start thinking k24/18g and k16/24 too name a few BTW It's good to see a reputable tuner with experience accross the board getting involved in this niche market. I am sure with your back ground you will make others rethink the wheel a bit. Anyone who has owned a subaru or EVO should know who this guy is. Great guy builds and designs very nice stuff. Not saying there aren't some very knowledgeable and talented guys doing this already.

I thought when I sold my Subaru years ago, I would never require the Shiv's services again! I already have a favorite tuner but I may cheat a little

Once again welcome
Ralph

Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
how about giving the end user some control over the tuning... Im sure a handful of guys would be interested...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

LOL....I don't think any of the existing tuners here are worried, but more options are always a good thing. Welcome to 6speed! Looking forward to seeing your results.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-08-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I just read an article in one of the monthly auto rags or Autoweek or something about your tuning work on the 335 and I thought it said you just got a 997 TT to play with. Were they wrong about the generation or are you playing with the 997 as well.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
LOL....I don't think any of the existing tuners here are worried, but more options are always a good thing. Welcome to 6speed! Looking forward to seeing your results.
Welcome , i hear good things about your other tuning, goodluck and cant wait to see the results as well

Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Been following the 335 progress on e90post, and i can't wait to see what you do with the platform. Welcome!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
how about giving the end user some control over the tuning... Im sure a handful of guys would be interested...
Absolutely. The newest version of our PROcede freeware will allow the end user to make adjustments to fuel, timing and boost independantly, at several RPM points. We are going to limit the adjustment window just to keep things safe. But it should provide plenty of flexability for custom tuning purposes.

-shiv

Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Absolutely. The newest version of our PROcede freeware will allow the end user to make adjustments to fuel, timing and boost independantly, at several RPM points. We are going to limit the adjustment window just to keep things safe. But it should provide plenty of flexability for custom tuning purposes.

-shiv
Welcome aboard! Things a looking better for us Porsche owners..

Old 04-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Welcome to the party...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuning my 996tt