996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking to Install 345/30-18's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Looking to Install 345/30-18's

I am looking to install 345/30-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in the rear to go along with my 265/35-18's up front.

Who makes rear fender extensions? I need a little less than one inch on each side. I believe Cary has done this. Cary what are the costs and time involved? I heard Techart and Gemballa also have kits. Anyone else have any leads?

Last edited by cjv; 03-22-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Chad,
Gemballa wide bodies (approximately 1 1/2" each side) are only done in Germany ($30K+ shipping), however, Heinz told me they are coming out with a kit that will be sold here in the states. You should try having a conversation with him.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:22 PM
rspiteri is infamous around these parts
That sounds like $30K well spent. Chad are you running out of things to do to that car. You seemed like a smart guy

Old 03-23-2004, 12:35 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
There should be an aluminum craftsman somewhere who can hammer some bulges into the original sheet metal.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Chad,

Cary is going to be creating a mold for steel fender flares soon. Last time I spoke with him he was putting the finishing touches on making everything fit perfectly to the flares such as the front bumper, which had to be widened a bit.

You should definitely get in touch with him. And while you're at it, get rid of that TechArt bumper and put on a GT2 style bumper!

And replace them Fikses with Cary's 1-piece forged magnesium BBS wheels!!! You've spent so much money, why stop now? Get the best of everything!

Alternatively, you can also get a custom widebody kit from Manthey Racing as used on their 996GT-MR. That bodykit is amazing, but it's over $30K. Wind tunnel tested and reduces the weight by over 100 lbs.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:38 AM
ryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura about

what about the TRG stuff? will that fit the TT?

Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I will check with Cary. I can have the rears done for alot less than 30K. I was just in Southern Calif. reviewing someones work. As for the front. I like the Techart front better. Besides, it provides more downforce than the stock GT2 front and allows less air to travel under the car. The currrent forged mag wheels on the market do not come in a sufficiently wide enough size. The three piece do.

Last edited by cjv; 03-23-2004 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
The Manthey widebody is not just the rears, it includes front fenders, front and rear bumper, rear fenders, and new rear wing. The difference is that the whole package has been wind tunnel tested and proven on the race track unlike other "tuner" parts like TechArt's rather strange looking bumper. Besides, what other bodykit can reduce your car's weight by almost 150lbs.???

Also, you can add the Cargraphic lip to the GT2 bumper and I can assure you that it provides more downforce than the TechArt body.

What wheel sizes do you need? Have you checked with BBS Motorsports? I have seen these wheels in 12", 13" all the way up to 15" for the Cadillac LMP-02 racer. You can ask Cary about this too. I think the wheels are about $3K/each and you need to order 5 sets, but you can get them sized any way you want.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
I will check with Cary. I can have the rears done for alot less than 30K. I was just in Southern Calif. reviewing someones work. As for the front. I like the Techart front better. Besides, it provides more downforce than the stock GT2 front and allows less air to travel under the car. The currrent forged mag wheels on the market do not come in a sufficiently wide enough size. The three piece do.
Damn that'll be some serious tire if you can pull it off... Going to 265/35, 315/30 took some work from Kevin/Stephen and myself but this is probably going to be mortgage-level stuff

Old 03-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Can't any good body shop just do a custom wide body conversion? They basically cut out the current fender, weld on a new wider piece and grind/sand it to till it is smooth. I know this is possible as I have pictures (not of a 996turbo though, it's an Audi A4). Considering money isn't an issue here why just no go custom and get a shop do it? It would fit better than any kit as it's completely custom to your car and your current bodykit

Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 PM
cjv
Tyson,

My car has been wind tunnel tested. I don't want to go larger than 265/35-18's up front. There is no reason to go with wider fenders and increased weight here. I am satisfied with my rear wing and bumper although I would like to remove the rear warts. I need wider rear fenders because Michelin Pilot Sport Cups do not come in 335's and 345's will not fit under my present fenders. Killer Angel tips the scales at just over 3200 pounds. How do you figure Manthey has a weight advantage at 3300 pounds?

My current rear Fikse's are 13 inches wide. I have a set of 9.5 and 13 inch mag. BBS three piece on order. I don't have a use for five sets. The single piece forged mag. would be nice, but a little overkill for street use. Hardly worth it for less than two pounds per wheel.

Last edited by cjv; 03-24-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:13 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Tyson,

My car has been wind tunnel tested. I don't want to go larger than 265/35-18's up front. There is no reason to go with wider fenders and increased weight here. I am satisfied with my rear wing and bumper although I would like to remove the rear warts. I need wider rear fenders because Michelin Pilot Sport Cups do not do not come in 335's and 345's will not fit under my present fenders. Killer Angel tips the scales at just over 3200 pounds. How do you figure Manthey has a weight advantage at 3300 pounds?

My current rear Fikse's are 13 inches wide. I have a set of 9.5 and 13 inch mag. BBS three piece on order. I don't have a use for five sets. The single piece forged mag. would be nice, but a little overkill for street use. Hardly worth it for less than two pounds per wheel.
So yours is 3200 with or without you in it? Cos mine is 3280 without me but a full tank of gas. I've had it at 3260 without the full tank of NOS and a few other lil' bits...