996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My first time quarter mile run for the turbo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
GTR,

That is a very good run, you should be happy.

Thanks and congrats!

BTW,

where in Michigan are you?
You have two very experienced racers near you.
KPG in Detroit and
BuddyG in Grand Rapids

MK

Local guy

Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 AM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
GTR,

That is a very good run, you should be happy.

Thanks and congrats!

BTW,

where in Michigan are you?
You have two very experienced racers near you.
KPG in Detroit and
BuddyG in Grand Rapids

MK

Local guy
Thanks, I'm southeast Michigan. I use to drag race a bit 10 years ago and am aware of the strain the car takes. I don't plan on going again unless I mod something which requies proof for backing up hp claims . I kind of moved on towards auto x but unfortunally the turbo does not qualify for Super Stock. I may pick up an S2000CR or GT3 after I sell one of my cars.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Great Run. The 1/4 is fun isn't it? Go get into the 11's now!!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
rwm514 is infamous around these partsrwm514 is infamous around these parts
Ive heard that all the mainstream car mags use correction factors in their 1/4 mile times.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You're approximately 4-5/10ths off the MT times, and your MPH is 1mph off... I'd not sweat it. There could be any number of things making that difference... You did good and should be proud of that time.

I need to get mine out for a run down the 1320. I'm wondering what I'll run being that I'm at 510WHP...

Guesses?
Mike

Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM
slaaw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gtr
I finally decide to run the turbo in the quarter mile. I just want to do this at least once to get an idea if my car is making the rated horsepower. I recalled motortrend had a fantastic run but their car is definitly making more power based on their trap speed but mine is close. Probably 10-15 less hp.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

The tires cannot grip and I recall other 6 speed members also ran a 2 sec 60ft as well. I realize this car likes to wheel hop so I rather start soft. For some reason i'm getting an error uploading the time slip.

Here goes:
60FT 2.0201
330FT 5.4362
1/8 ET 8.1368
1/8 MPH 95.81
1000' 10.4271
1000' MPH 107.11
1/4 ET 12.3220
1/4 MPH 118.77
Looks like very goods results. As a comparison, I used to own a mildly modified C5 that was putting out about 425 ehp. My best time with a 2.2 60-ft start was 12.5 @ 116. The .2 lag in 60-ft time and the auto trans (which hurt the ET) would otherwise match your TT, so it looks like you've got at least the rated hp coming down. Adjust the boost pressure and you're like in the 11's.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Keep in mind that Motortrend and other mags don't mind thrashing the car (and the clutch) until it's dead because they don't have to pay to fix it. As a result, they are usually able to get the maximum numbers out of any particular car.

On the other hand, you as the owner of the car, will not abuse the car like the magazine reviewers will and thus will not always be able to achieve the same times.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

- KJ

P.S. Road & Track does all it's tests with a "clutch drop" launch. They do not try various methods for getting the best numbers, so their numbers are usually worse than other magazines (Motortrend, Car & Driver etc.).

Old 04-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slaaw
Looks like very goods results. As a comparison, I used to own a mildly modified C5 that was putting out about 425 ehp. My best time with a 2.2 60-ft start was 12.5 @ 116. The .2 lag in 60-ft time and the auto trans (which hurt the ET) would otherwise match your TT, so it looks like you've got at least the rated hp coming down. Adjust the boost pressure and you're like in the 11's.
I had a C5 that was running 11.7s with a mild Thunder Racing cam, ported heads and LG headers/exhaust with a CAM tune. Car was really stout, although I went thru a couple of clutches and broke the torque tube... Not a very durable car.

Mike

Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I need to get mine out for a run down the 1320. I'm wondering what I'll run being that I'm at 510WHP...

Guesses?
Mike
You should get 11 something but keep us posted

Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM
nitrorocket is infamous around these parts
A stock TT should go mid 11's with a semi decent launch. Why is it that people are launching so soft. Anyone change to a better clutch and sticker tire and launch at 5-6K??

I am new here, and am not to sure what people have tried.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I am just guessing here that you have never tried to run a 996 tt at the dragstrip. They have a completely wrong suspension for launching in the quarter mile, they are setup for handling and road racing tracks. Launching on the dragstrip usually results in either bogging down or wheel hop which both kill your 60 ft time.

The best result actually is a slipping of the clutch at maybe 3000 rpm's.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM
That just amazes me. I always thought an AWD car would launch like a bat outa hell. Most FWD cars will do a 2 sec. 60' time.
Anyone tried a harder or softer tire to try to eliminate wheel hop and be able to launch hard off the line?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 AM
gtr
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
That just amazes me. I always thought an AWD car would launch like a bat outa hell. Most FWD cars will do a 2 sec. 60' time.
Anyone tried a harder or softer tire to try to eliminate wheel hop and be able to launch hard off the line?
Cars such like the Mitsubishi Evolution is much easier to launch. Just rev to 4.5 grand, floor it and relase the clutch and 1.7 60ft!

The 911 turbo on the other hand is difficult. The problem is that the front tires break loose like nothing. Once the front break loose it will want to wheel hop. Wheel hop is bad for the car all together and I'd really think a RWD 911 would probably be easier to launch. .

On the track I was flighting traction up until 3rd gear. The car actually still spinning thru 2nd gear shift. I suppose with slicks/drag radials or if the track condition is good you can launch it at red line and powershift/speed shift every gear . If nothing breaks i'm sure 1.7 60 ft and 11's would be possible. But who wants to do that to their own cars?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great run,
thanks for sharing, your time is right on target (well driven)

Nitro Rocket, every possible launch style, clutch type and rpm has been tried here,
try it yourself, you will be humbled by the difficulty of this car to launch.

MK

Old 04-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I was asking because I always thought the TT would launch like crazy. Oh well.

I don't hook well in my ride either, I just have to make it all up on the top end!

Keep cranking that boost and you will keep getting happier! Nice run!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first time quarter mile run for the turbo.