996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT700 options for more horsepower?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
That's fair. But they are more known for the off the shelf kits.
Agreed.

Craig

Old 04-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Craig,
Rob has everything except the turbos, ecu and fuel system.
That may be so. I do not know anything about Rob's car, beyond a few anecdotal hearsay comments about dealings with certain tuners. My only point is that one must take a comprehensive approach to high HP tuning, as you/Protomotive did with your car. The cost of the turbos and ECU is the tip of the iceberg. As you well know, the fuel system is critically important and not some sort of two hour bolt on solution.

Craig

Old 04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
DMK
Banned
DMK has a spectacular aura aboutDMK has a spectacular aura about
My comment is even off the shelf kits are not truely, things change from day to day, maf screens, all sorts of other things. Craig how long and how many times have you been under the knife? Same goes for Joe (NY) not the world fastest. These kits are not shelf anyway you cut it! If you are goin to go custom custom promotive is the answer I feel. No one else is even close to date. I am not bashing EVO, but it depends on the end result wanted? If you piece it together that will just create the world largest nightmare!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:00 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DMK
My comment is even off the shelf kits are not truely, things change from day to day, maf screens, all sorts of other things. Craig how long and how many times have you been under the knife? Same goes for Joe (NY) not the world fastest. These kits are not shelf anyway you cut it! If you are goin to go custom custom promotive is the answer I feel. No one else is even close to date. I am not bashing EVO, but it depends on the end result wanted? If you piece it together that will just create the world largest nightmare!
Well I disagree,the fastest cars on here are within 1mph of each other in the 1/4..an Evoms car (690rwhp)and a Proto car(871rwhp),and .4 tenths seperate the two in both 60-130 and 1/4.....The .4 tenth difference in the 60-130 could possibly be attributed that Mark was running at a 2.7% downgrade and the Evoms car was run at a .6% downgrade. Just the facts and no disrespect to anyone.Not to mention if you think that Evo off the shelf kit is high I can only imagine what it would cost to duplicate Mark's beast.Oh and no I am not the worlds fastest but my car is not stripped(as everyone has seen)and was still running AWD at the time on a drag radial tire...not M+H street slick(big difference).My point is ,I believe the best bang for the buck are the 700 kits whether Proto,Evo,Umw,because after that it starts getting real expensive to get these cars to run much faster.These cars won't handle 35 lbs of boost(like a Supra)nor are the motors big enough to produce the power of the Vipers.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Craig,
Rob has everything except the turbos, ecu and fuel system.
Mark,Doesn't he need to do the bottom end and heads?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Well I disagree,the fastest cars on here are within 1mph of each other in the 1/4..an Evoms car (690rwhp)and a Proto car(871rwhp),and .4 tenths seperate the two in both 60-130 and 1/4.....The .4 tenth difference in the 60-130 could possibly be attributed that Mark was running at a 2.7% downgrade and the Evoms car was run at a .6% downgrade. Just the facts and no disrespect to anyone.Not to mention if you think that Evo off the shelf kit is high I can only imagine what it would cost to duplicate Mark's beast.Oh and no I am not the worlds fastest but my car is not stripped(as everyone has seen)and was still running AWD at the time on a drag radial tire...not M+H street slick(big difference).My point is ,I believe the best bang for the buck are the 700 kits whether Proto,Evo,Umw,because after that it starts getting real expensive to get these cars to run much faster.These cars won't handle 35 lbs of boost(like a Supra)nor are the motors big enough to produce the power of the Vipers.
I agree with you Joe. I remember chating with you before about these cars and going from 700 - 800. When you start going above that 700 mark things get REAL expensive.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Mark,Doesn't he need to do the bottom end and heads?
He has the bottom end done. Heads? Im not sure but last time I checked the gt800s didnt come with headwork. thats was extra... I recall that Todd Z said somewhere online( or someone associated with him) that when his car ran the 10.3 it was/is a base gt800 without heads or cams and only rods with apr studs.
Either way, the gt30rs are superior to the gt35rs for 1/4. u get full boost at least 1500 rpms sooner and u get a lot more Torque becasue ur A/R housing is smaller and u run more boost.... and boost produces TQ. And it's TQ that gets you down the track.... So you guys have a good set up no doubt about it.
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by DMK
Lol!!! You asked EVOMS to tune your car WAYYYYYY beyond safe parameters, with the express understanding that it would almost certainly blow up in that configuration Thereafter, you expressly told everyone that you were going to blow up your car, including right before you succeeded. Moreover, as evidenced by your over-revs, you drove the car with reckless abandon. Big surprise that you ultimately blew up your car. Now you are an authority on the subject and EVOMS is somehow incompetent??? Give me a break. FWIW, blowing head gaskets and tearing down engines after they were initially thought to be done is something that even Protomotive has experienced.

Craig

Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Thumbs up 700 == best bang for the buck!

The one thing I go agree with is the best bang for the buck is the 700 kits.
EVOMs has a great one, the UMW "looks good" (havent seen it perform yet) and I believe the one I am doing should perform pretty well also .

After all I did have to sigh a waiver that my car will be capable of 200mph and my tuner is not responsible for my behavior.

Marty K.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree 100%. Mark’s car is a tremendous achievement, both in terms of power and performance. It is impressive in all respects, and he currently holds all of the straight line top marks (ET, trap and 60-130) for good reason. That being said, it is interesting that, with GT35 turbos and 871 RWHP, he is only a tad faster than EVOMS cars producing in the neighborhood of 700 AWHP. I do not know what to glean from that. Moreover, I am informed that, for purposes of maximizing his performance stats, Mark has gone to extraordinary lengths to strip his car down to an incredibly light 3050 pounds (including removing many items that most of us would prefer to retain in our street cars, such as door panels). In contrast, Joe’s times were produced at full weight, including AWD (Mark is 2WD). Additionally, I am informed that Mark was running Mickey Thomson drag slicks, whereas Joe used street legal drag radials. IMHO, one of the great attributes of the 996TT is its ability to achieve tremendous performance in full street mode, without the need to be gutted and slicked down. While it is great to test the outer limits of one’s car, I personally am more interested in what my car can do in its normal driving configuration, with all of the weighty amenities that I enjoy using (e.g., door panels), and with street tires, just as it is when I drive it. Furthermore, when comparing performance figures, one should not overlook the important differences identified above, which dramatically affect performance.

I also agree that the GT700 kit is the optimal tuning package (along with the corresponding 700 HP packages from Proto and UMW). Beyond 700 HP, the returns diminish considerably.

Craig

Old 04-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
The one thing I go agree with is the best bang for the buck is the 700 kits.
EVOMs has a great one, the UMW "looks good" (havent seen it perform yet) and I believe the one I am doing should perform pretty well also .
Marty K.
This is getting down right scary . . . I am compelled to agree with you for a second time during less than a week span. What is this world coming to?

I think you are getting the optimal amount of power Marty!!!

Craig

Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 PM
He has the bottom end done. Heads? Im not sure but last time I checked the gt800s didnt come with headwork. thats was extra... I recall that Todd Z said somewhere online( or someone associated with him) that when his car ran the 10.3 it was/is a base gt800 without heads or cams and only rods with apr studs.
Either way, the gt30rs are superior to the gt35rs for 1/4. u get full boost at least 1500 rpms sooner and u get a lot more Torque becasue ur A/R housing is smaller and u run more boost.... and boost produces TQ. And it's TQ that gets you down the track.... So you guys have a good set up no doubt about it.
mark
That is correct Mark,Todd Z's car was finished the night before the drag day and was running on stock pistons(because they were testing some of the limits of a stock motor and just didn't have any left)and I don't believe had any head work,but just like your car it is real light!My car,Craig's car(although not done by Evoms)have head work that is included in the 800 kit posted by JAGGS a few pages back.

Last edited by joetwint; 04-21-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
not to get off topic, but if i remember from the thread about markski's 10.037, that run was at "1.24 bar w/ misfire at 6k"? if markski's car produces 871rwhp @ 1.5 bar, @ 1.24 bar it is no doubt producing less than 871rwhp. from his dyno thread, his car produced 733rwhp @ 16psi. 1.24 bar is around the neighborhood of 18psi. i think the 10.0 @ 144 wasn't at max power? also, in the Modified Luxury & Exotics article about the "EVO GTONE," the writer states that the EVO car on 116 octane produces 890 horsepower at the wheels. they say 752hp on 93 octane, but do not say if this is at the wheels or at the crank. i would think that they would be consistent, and this figure is measured at the wheels, just as the 890hp figure is. the magazine also states its quarter mile time as 10.37 @ 139.68mph, but does not specify how much power the car was producing during the run. it also doesn't say if the 10.37 run was made at the current power level...from the info i've seen, it seems the EVO car was making more than 690rwhp, and markski's car was producing less than 871rwhp at the times of their runs. so, i think that the difference b/t the cars' respective power levels during the times they ran the 1/4 mile probably isn't as big. regardless, AMAZING achievements!

Last edited by KompressorKev; 04-21-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Craig
This is getting down right scary . . . I am compelled to agree with you for a second time during less than a week span. What is this world coming to?

I think you are getting the optimal amount of power Marty!!!

Craig
Craig,funny I used to think the same thing but Marty is an good guy(some of his sarcastic posts will drive you batty)in person.Plus he has a hot wife! jk

Old 04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KompressorKev
not to get off topic, but if i remember from the thread about markski's 10.037, that run was at "1.24 bar w/ misfire at 6k"? if markski's car produces 871rwhp @ 1.5 bar, @ 1.24 bar it is no doubt producing less than 871rwhp. from his dyno thread, his car produced 733rwhp @ 16psi. 1.24 bar is around the neighborhood of 18psi. i think the 10.0 @ 144 wasn't at max power? also, in the Modified Luxury & Exotics article about the "EVO GTONE," the writer states that the EVO car on 116 octane produces 890 horsepower at the wheels. they say 752hp on 93 octane, but do not say if this is at the wheels or at the wheels, just as the 890hp figure is. i would think that they would be consistent, and this figure is measured at the crank. the magazine also states its quarter mile time as 10.37 @ 139.68mph, but does not specify how much power the car was producing during the run. it also doesn't say if the 10.37 run was made at the current power level...yet i think that the difference b/t the cars' respective power levels during the times they ran the 1/4 mile probably isn't that big. regardless, amazing achievements!

Thanks for bringing that up. I have always wondered about that article

Jag

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.