996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

C16 vs. C12: Burn Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
That is so badass that you can fill-up your car in your garage and never have to stop off at the gas stations unless you getting something from inside the store. Kudos to you

Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
I would agree with you on the c-16 issues. When I ran blown gas drag boats, even after only 125 or so passes there was quite a large amount of build up on the chambers,valves,etc. We ran 9.5-1 static with 24-28 lbs boost. A great fuel, but not for any long term use. Also fouled plugs really bad until I went to a 25 amp mag.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Scott,

I am not familiar with C25. However, Jay and I discussed several other fuels and he mentioned that many of the specialty fuels contain certain ingredients that are very corrosive. C25 may be such a fuel.

I considered the Sunoco Supreme that you mentioned. It has a slightly slower burn rate, along with a slightly higher octame rating. My distributor recommended it, but I am inclined to go with the faster burning C12 in order to ensure no future issues. The 110 octane is sufficient (12.5 AFR).

I am also considering VP 113 - similar burn rate to C12, with slightly more octane, and it is oxygenated. Jay recommends it, but my distributor says that VP is not selling it. I asked him to inquire further.

Craig

Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Craig,

Nice to know that you are still around. Any power figures out for your ride ? How are you enjoying the higher rpm's ?

As for race fuel, stick to one of the two;

VP Racing Motorsport 103 R+M/2 103 specific gravity .743 at 60 degrees F
VP Racing Motorsport 109 R+M/2 105 specific gravity .722 at 60 degrees F

Make sure you get a new tuned map for your specific fuel, inorder to get the best power out of it.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
That is so badass that you can fill-up your car in your garage and never have to stop off at the gas stations unless you getting something from inside the store. Kudos to you
Lol it feels real badass, except it cost about the same as full service at the pump for a Semi truck LOL.

My grandfather always told me "A Boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into". Now I'm starting to think my Supra is a boat as well Jamie lol.

What sort of boost levels are you guys running in the 996TT/GT2 currently in relation to these fuels?

Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
Lol it feels real badass, except it cost about the same as full service at the pump for a Semi truck LOL.

My grandfather always told me "A Boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into". Now I'm starting to think my Supra is a boat as well Jamie lol.

What sort of boost levels are you guys running in the 996TT/GT2 currently in relation to these fuels?
Depends on the setup, of course. I'll run .9 BAR on 93 (13 psi / 600 rwhp), 1.3 BAR on 100 ( 18.8 psi)...and C16 at 1.7 or 1.8 BAR (24.6 to 26 psi).

Not sure how high I'll run C12 yet. My tuner will have to let me know.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Craig,

I just spoke with Jay. Very helpful fellow. He said that for my needs, C16 is fine...and probably the safest. But if I were using it everyday, C12 would be the better option.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Craig are you sure your are an attorney? I think you are a mad scientist...j/k

Aloha

Byron

Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Craig...Porsche Pro Bono?...lol..
Lol! I wish I could do some bartering in lieu of greenback.

Craig

Old 04-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Craig are you sure your are an attorney? I think you are a mad scientist...j/k

Aloha

Byron
A little bit of both, but more and more scientist every day as I move forward with my car. With each new issue relating to my car, I am presented with a new opportunity to become versed in a new subject. I tend to be obsessive compulsive about these things (Todd would stridently disagree – not), so I try my best to learn and understand the various aspects of my car as the project evolves, so that I can play a small role in the various decisions that need to be made, rather than simply going along for the ride. This learning process is difficult for me, as I came into this with little or no meaningful experience or knowledge. It has been an extraordinary journey in this regard. Three days ago, I had no idea what a “burn rate” is for fuel, nor how important the burn rate is to performance and engine internals. Recognizing that fuel was a new issue that had to be resolved, I took it upon myself to research the issue and become slightly more educated. It has been a long and windy road, but I have learned a ton along the way and the efforts are finally paying off!!! More to follow . . .

Craig

Old 04-21-2007, 02:43 PM
EvilEmpirE is infamous around these parts
very nice and informative post Craig........did not know that C12 was better than 16 as far as burn rates and so forth. Never tried either (always stuck to unleaded VP like 109 or 103) but would like to give C12 a shot. Looks like a good alternative

Old 04-21-2007, 05:30 PM
JamE55 is infamous around these parts
Craig,

Good stuff. If you don't mind me asking where can i get a C12? Is this for sale by the barrell only or what? PM if you'd like.

thanks

Old 04-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Old 04-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Solid info here. I'm gonna have to pay particularly close to the plugs/valve/chambers next time I have the heads off and see if all that C16 is having issues.

btw, you guys contemplating running VP Import. Price the stuff out and get back to us. $23/gallon give or take would get old REAL quick.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by JamE55
Craig,

Good stuff. If you don't mind me asking where can i get a C12? Is this for sale by the barrell only or what? PM if you'd like.

thanks
I purchase it in 55 gallon drums delivered to my home by a VP distributor. You can also purcahse VP fuels through certain retail speciality shops in smaller volumes.

Craig

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C16 vs. C12: Burn Rates