996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ohlins v. JRZ/Motons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Ohlins v. JRZ/Motons

I'm currently running PSS9's and am very happy with them. However, after much driving and reading, i've decided to go a more track happy route, as the car will be decently tracked. I'd like to go to a two wheel drive/GT2 set up and have heard some bad things about setting the PSS9's to GT2 ride height. My question is then... how Ohlins match up against a JRZ or Moton type set up? I've got a buddy who swears by these things and i'm just curious what the rest of you guys think?

Also with this kind of set up, aside from a rear sway, will other things be necessary? Like a front sway, camber plates, control arms, etc...? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
You can't really go wrong with neither of these big names. I am biased toward Moton cause I have it on my car. It's excellent for the street as well as the track. Where as Ohlin and JRZ are not as street friendly. You need to match the right springs with right the dampening via custom valving. Do the toe links if you plan to drop the heights. How far you want to go really depends on how much track you do and how much streetability you want to compromised.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I LOVE my JRZs to death...but agree they would be a bit much for a street app...and the 7 and 8 hundred lb springs dont exactly soak up the imperfections if I may...haha

That being said...the high level shock and spring is bar none the best mod you can do...

Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
If you go with the new suspension set up. Could I get first dibs on the PSS9's????

Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
I'm currently running PSS9's and am very happy with them. However, after much driving and reading, i've decided to go a more track happy route, as the car will be decently tracked. I'd like to go to a two wheel drive/GT2 set up and have heard some bad things about setting the PSS9's to GT2 ride height. My question is then... how Ohlins match up against a JRZ or Moton type set up? I've got a buddy who swears by these things and i'm just curious what the rest of you guys think?

Also with this kind of set up, aside from a rear sway, will other things be necessary? Like a front sway, camber plates, control arms, etc...? Thanks!
CarNerd,

I am not really sure how track radical you want to get?

I origionally installed JRZ three ways and went to the four ways. Most cars only go with two ways. As for the other items .............. sway bars and camber plates are a real benefit when adjusted properly. The control arms are nice but if you are going that route you might as well go with monoballs also.

Setting the front a little higher than the rear will help with the oversteer. Definitely cornor balance and be sure you have the correct spring weights in the front and rear. If you are serious about this, one of the best in the business is Cary Elisnlohr of ERP. He is located in Signal Hill, CA.

Now if you really want to go hard core Cary has front hubs and hangers based on the GT3RSR but designed for the 996tt. They are about $5,000.00 installed. Take it a step further and add adjustable on the fly front JRZ's and sway bars. Oh one other good add ............ a rear cage that ties the two rear shock points together.

Last edited by cjv; 04-19-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
ya, i have a buttload of other small upgraded parts and JRZ race 5 way adj bars...that also helps...haha

Old 04-20-2007, 01:35 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
All good stuff! Thanks guys. Actually i'm wondering how Ohlins compare to the Motons and JRZ's. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
If you go with the new suspension set up. Could I get first dibs on the PSS9's????
Definitely. If and when the time comes just make sure you send me a pm to remind me. It will most likely be closer to the summer though.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
It really all boils down to what you want out of the dampers.

In terms of quality JRZ and Moton on the same level -
Moton offers the club sport with remote reservoirs, some people like that some dont. JRZ does make a double adjustable with out a remote reservoir also a very high quality damper.

IMHO Ohlins does make a better damper than JRZ and Moton if you are comparing the club sport or rs type damper to a Ohlins race damper.

However the JRZ race and Moton race dampers are equal to the Ohlins.

You cant go wrong with either one of these quality dampers.

If you have some one set the car up who knows what they are doing and knows how to tune a damper. Dont be afraid of a high spring rate with one of the dampers the shocks have the ability to control the springs with out any problems. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

I have ridden in several cars that have high spring rates and the cars ride better than any PSS9 kit out there.. I run a high spring ratewith Moton Club Sports in our GT2 and the ride is firm but compliant.

This has all been discussed before.. There are alot of people who think they know how dampers work and how to set up a suspension .. Yet only a hand full who actually do.. Everyone has there prefered dampers because of one reason or another.

Just my .02. If you have any questions please feel free to email or call me directly.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks Fabyrce. When the time comes i was actually going to have you guys do all the work anyways. Look forward to seeing you guys soon.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
It really all boils down to what you want out of the dampers.

In terms of quality JRZ and Moton on the same level -
Moton offers the club sport with remote reservoirs, some people like that some dont. JRZ does make a double adjustable with out a remote reservoir also a very high quality damper.

IMHO Ohlins does make a better damper than JRZ and Moton if you are comparing the club sport or rs type damper to a Ohlins race damper.

However the JRZ race and Moton race dampers are equal to the Ohlins.

You cant go wrong with either one of these quality dampers.

If you have some one set the car up who knows what they are doing and knows how to tune a damper. Dont be afraid of a high spring rate with one of the dampers the shocks have the ability to control the springs with out any problems. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

I have ridden in several cars that have high spring rates and the cars ride better than any PSS9 kit out there.. I run a high spring ratewith Moton Club Sports in our GT2 and the ride is firm but compliant.

This has all been discussed before.. There are alot of people who think they know how dampers work and how to set up a suspension .. Yet only a hand full who actually do.. Everyone has there prefered dampers because of one reason or another.

Just my .02. If you have any questions please feel free to email or call me directly.
By the way. When are you going to get some sounds clips up of that pure sex exhaust on a 996 Turbo!?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
No problem just let me know when you are ready .. If you want to stop by the shop I will gladly go over what is done to our GT2 and we can talk about what you are trying accomplish and then put together a package that will work best for you.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Former Vendor
As you are aware sound clips dont do it any justice.. However I am working on one as a teaser for everyone..
Stay tuned... Soon I promise.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:14 AM
No problem just let me know when you are ready .. If you want to stop by the shop I will gladly go over what is done to our GT2 and we can talk about what you are trying accomplish and then put together a package that will work best for you.
Sounds good! We'll definitely be in contact these next couple weeks. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 AM
As you are aware sound clips dont do it any justice.. However I am working on one as a teaser for everyone..
Stay tuned... Soon I promise.
Definitely wont do it justice, but teasers are always good. Look forward to it.