996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo or 996 GT2 with $20k in mods... What are the musts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:33 AM
farris has a spectacular aura aboutfarris has a spectacular aura about
996 Turbo or 996 GT2 with $20k in mods... What are the musts?

Ok Guys,
To keep it brief, I was going to to buy an F430 or a 997 Turbo, but since I am about to get married I am cutting back on costs. I have decided to get a good deal on a Euro Spec, Black on Black 996 TT or 996 GT2 and mod the interior, exterior, audo and performance .

What are the musts with a $20k mod budget, assuming the car comes with ceramic brakes and manual transmission?
  • Is is better to start off with a GT2 or 996 TT S? (the car is for city use)
So Far I am considering these mods:
  • Pioneer Z1 Head Unit
  • Iforged Essens
  • GT2 Rear Wing if GT2 isn't purchased
  • Techart Front Bumber
Questions:
- What are the best performance mods within my budget?

- What are the best speakers, amps, and subs to use in a 996 for a custom install (factoring in sound and weight)?

- Is suspension work needed?

- Are Side Skirts Needed?

- Is full Carbon Fibre the best option for interior mods?

- Is there anything else that I should be considering?

I really appreciate all the help! I figure why reinvent the wheel when you guys have already pimped out your cars. Thanks Again

Old 04-20-2007, 04:55 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If you arent tracking I would buy the turbo.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !

start with suspension (and wheels if you like) == $4-7 K
ECU tune, exhaust == $ 5 K
rear sway bar (cheap)
GT3 seats == $2.5K
Negative on the side skirts $0
Techart stuff is nice !! == $ XK

few interior mods and steering wheel for fun == $3K
Porsche or BM short shift kit

drive it often!!, and good luck,

MK

Old 04-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The mods I would recommend will change significantly depending on whether you buy a GT2 or Turbo.

I'd recommend deciding which one you plan on getting first. Then talk mods.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The mods I would recommend will change significantly depending on whether you buy a GT2 or Turbo.

I'd recommend deciding which one you plan on getting first. Then talk mods.
Fair point.

I am looking to buy either a 2002 Gt2 with 11,000 miles or a 2004/2005 with similar miles

To be honest I do not know all the differences between the two. All I know is the GT2 looks better, has no rear seats (can this be added?), is lighter, lower to the ground, has ceramic brakes and is slightly more powerful.

Since the price is the, same unless you guys advise me otherwise, I will get the GT2.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by farris
Fair point.

I am looking to buy either a 2002 Gt2 with 11,000 miles or a 2004/2005 with similar miles

To be honest I do not know all the differences between the two. All I know is the GT2 looks better, has no rear seats (can this be added?), is lighter, lower to the ground, has ceramic brakes and is slightly more powerful.

Since the price is the, same unless you guys advise me otherwise, I will get the GT2.
Is there anything else I should be factoring into my decision? Thanks for all the help

Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Go GT2 and you will never look back.

Of course you know GT2 is rear wheel drive and no traction control.
996TT S is all-wheel drive with all manner of "nanny devices".

No back seat ever in GT2 (oh, some smart *** will say Porsche made a couple for the Sultan of Brunei or something, maybe). GT2 is a 2 seater.
996TT is a two seater + 2 midgets (or in my case, my 2 girls).

MK

Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
If you don't know the difference, then go 996TT. Suspension, rims, GIAC flash, SSK, exhaustGT2 wing, GT3 seats. Done.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Factor in your driving habits and abilities with a RE car. The GT2 is unforgiving.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Farris,

I also assume you have driven both, if not
go drive them. You cannot make an informed decison otherwise.

Many of us have driven everything from non turbo 996's to Carrera GT's
(well, I am lucky because my buddy bought one). I have driven a GT3
and a GT2. Each one of them are more different in driving than they are the
same. You will need seat time, or as a mimimum be a passenger.

MK

Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
+1 for Woodster. Drive them both then decide. One may just feel better than the other.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:06 AM
philly996tt is infamous around these parts
As the fellows have said, i think your main decision should fall on your use of the car, if the car is a daily driver,TT S is the way to go, I know some of the guys might not agree or admit it but the AWD does come in handy at times (rain, snow, taking a corner a little to agressive) The GT2 is a pure track machine that you can go all out and if your adding mods, forget about it, the car should come with the roll bars standard from the factory, good luck.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM
ZX9RCAM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by farris
I dont think the price is the same, TT vs. GT2...

But you would probably be better off all around with the TT.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
I dont think the price is the same, TT vs. GT2...

But you would probably be better off all around with the TT.
2005 TT 'S' and '02 or '03 GT2 should be very close in price.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned
Lounge Lizard is infamous around these parts
A TT and GT2 are very different with regards to driver involvment especially if it's a daily drive which means driving in all conditions. GT2's aren't happy unless the back wheels are breaking free on a regular basis

If your car history has plenty of tail happy motoring in it then go GT2, if not I'd go TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo or 996 GT2 with $20k in mods... What are the musts?