996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

where do you put the jack stands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 07:40 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
CR...You may want to re-think the short jack choice. I believe the max lift height is quite alot less than the longer one.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm, Did I make a mistake for oil changes by getting the shorter jack? According to Rocketman's post it seemed like the shorter one would work fine. I would prefer the shorter version if it works, since it won't take up as much room. Otherwise, I will have to change the order ASAP. Thanks for the advise.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Code Red
Hmmm, Did I make a mistake for oil changes by getting the shorter jack? According to Rocketman's post it seemed like the shorter one would work fine. I would prefer the shorter version if it works, since it won't take up as much room. Otherwise, I will have to change the order ASAP. Thanks for the advise.
No mistake...It lifts it plenty high...In fact the nose of the car will hit the pavement before you can even jack it up with half of the jack's lifting height capacity

Old 03-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
That's a relief! Now I will be all set for tire and oil changes.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:43 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
That's a relief! Now I will be all set for tire and oil changes.
The jack stands are 13.5 inches with the pad at their lowest postion. You have about 1 or 2 more inches max you can raise the jackstands and place them under the main rear suspension truss without the nose/lip of the front hitting the garage floor, at least with the GT3... I believe the GT2 may even be 1 inch lower... The jack at maximum lift with the jack pad is 20.5 inches...I just went out to the garage to make the measurements. I use the stands at the standard height (minimum setting) and have plenty of room to get under the car to get at the drain plugs...

Old 03-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Is the main rear suspension strut obvious to the untrained eye?

Thanks again for all the info. This has been very helpful. I refuse to pay the dealer close to $300 for a simple oil change, plus I am going to put cups on the stock rims for use on track days anyway.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Is the main rear suspension strut obvious to the untrained eye?

Thanks again for all the info. This has been very helpful. I refuse to pay the dealer close to $300 for a simple oil change, plus I am going to put cups on the stock rims for use on track days anyway.
Yes, it looks like a construction I-Beam...You cant miss it. It's light bronze in color and looks to be the strongest part under the car...

You can see where I have them placed in this pic...

Another shot to show you the spread.

Last edited by rockitman; 03-24-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Ahh, so it's the portion where the sway bars go. Any pics of where you place the jack on the engine to raise the car?

I also need to find the thread of doing an oil change. I understand that there are two filters.

I feel like I am taking a correspondance course in auto mechanics.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:35 AM
Ahh, so it's the portion where the sway bars go. Any pics of where you place the jack on the engine to raise the car?

I also need to find the thread of doing an oil change. I understand that there are two filters.

I feel like I am taking a correspondance course in auto mechanics.
The jack goes right under the center of the motor on the cranck case. Put the seam where the two halves of the engine crankcase meet at it's lowest point relative to the floor. Your crank case is the same as mine. Here is the DYI link for it. Order the parts by part number from suncoast porsche's parts dept. call them, since all the sealing rings ect are not listed.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...code=diy_oc_tt

here is the index link of DYI's from renntech

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...&code=diy_menu

There is a picture of crankcase where you want the jack pad to go for lifting the back end of the car so you can put jack stands under the suspension truss. You can see it on the oil change DYI link.

Line the jack pad up under the seam below the drain plug that has an arrow pointing to it.

Last edited by rockitman; 03-25-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks again Rocketman!