996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:58 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo

Has anyone noticed more noise from the trans after removing everything? Or is it my solid trans mount really singing not dampened by the shaft and diff?

Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
RWD will have more power to the wheels and properly converted will have less drag. The front drive absorbs power and even with the front driveshaft removed it's still sucking some up. How much of a difference this makes is open to debate but I'm told it's noticeable.
Removing the entire front driveline makes a noticeable difference vs. removing the driveshaft.

Originally Posted by bu3ziiz
Thanks guys who shared this info.

So it's much better to do conversion yeah ?

Any side effect of this step ?? What would be the difference % in whp??

Like to hear more inputs from the guys who did it over here
I liked the engine's response with 2WD over AWD. Car was definitely quicker during highway pulls. I didn't notice any negative side effects as a daily driver/highway pull car.

Originally Posted by z06801
Has anyone noticed more noise from the trans after removing everything? Or is it my solid trans mount really singing not dampened by the shaft and diff?
I didn't notice any. My set up: window weld trans mount and Function First engine mounts.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:15 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
I just took the prop off mine to do an event as I didnt want to enter the 4wd class (pesky R35's) didnt notice any difference in pick up to speak of but what a pig to launch 1.9 4WD and best 2.1 2WD but after a play with the map we ran a 11.77 @ 132 with a 2.2 60ft thats 7mph up so inetersted to see what happens when it goes back to 4 WD and I knock the 3/10's or more back off, maths says low 11's

Old 07-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
I noticed a slight whine right after removing the shaft (I have factory mounts).

Old 07-28-2015, 07:39 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Using LC and feathering the clutch I can get a best 1.95s or so 60' on RWD

Old 10-13-2015, 08:49 AM
br337 is infamous around these parts
Can we pls get some resent feedback on this mod with no LSD on tracks like RA,RRR ,AMP ,Barber etc...

Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM
alwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond repute
interested as well..

Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by br337
Can we pls get some resent feedback on this mod with no LSD on tracks like RA,RRR ,AMP ,Barber etc...
It's not the end off the world, I tracked mine at Miller a few times just with no front shaft in, I still liked it better than AWD. I don't really drive the turbo has hard as my race car of course, but when the LSD was out in that it got really hard to drive fast. The turbo at 7-8/10th was fine with no LSD. If your looking for lap times your going to want it for sure. I really haven't been able to run it hard since I put in the new box with the 997 cup LSD to give you a comparison when they installed my motor back in I now have vacuum/boost leaks.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by br337
It depends how hard you are driving the car. Per Z06 above, if you are tracking your car at a medium 7/10 pace you won't notice much difference. The tighter the track, the more noticeable it will be. If you are driving your car at the limit running at or near Cup car times, you can forget about it with an open diff. To put it another way, if you can track your car without finding PSM a huge interference (whether switched on/off), you are running below a level where an open diff will be much of a hindrance in your lap times. Either way, a good locking diff is one of the best performance mods for a track car, well ahead of any other power mod out there. A 40/60 ratio with a medium 50-60lb preload works fantastic on a rwd 996 platform. Go see what every race prepped 911 is running at your local track. If you are serious, it's the best $4k spent.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-14-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
I just want to see someone do a riotous 2wd burnout.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 PM
br337 is infamous around these parts
It's not the end off the world, I tracked mine at Miller a few times just with no front shaft in, I still liked it better than AWD. I don't really drive the turbo has hard as my race car of course, but when the LSD was out in that it got really hard to drive fast. The turbo at 7-8/10th was fine with no LSD. If your looking for lap times your going to want it for sure. I really haven't been able to run it hard since I put in the new box with the 997 cup LSD to give you a comparison when they installed my motor back in I now have vacuum/boost leaks.
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
It depends how hard you are driving the car. Per Z06 above, if you are tracking your car at a medium 7/10 pace you won't notice much difference. The tighter the track, the more noticeable it will be. If you are driving your car at the limit running at or Cup car times, you can forget about it with an open diff. To put it another way, if you can track your car without finding PSM a huge interference (whether switched on/off), you are running below a level where an open diff will be much of a hindrance in your lap times. Either way, a good locking diff is one of the best performance mods for a track car, well ahead of any other power mod out there. A 40/60 ratio with a medium 50-60lb preload works fantastic on a rwd 996 platform. Go see what every race prepped 911 is running at your local track. If you are serious, it's the best $4k spent.
Ok thanks guys .. I really do appreciate your feedback.
I'm new to Porsche but not tracking.
I have done the PORSCHE DRIVING SCHOOL back when i started tracking. But thats all the experience ive have on these awesome toys

I totaled my trackcar back in July at Road Atlanta . It was a lesson i have learned from it. As i let my ego get in the way of my driving ..

See for your self . But Please ,I WILL NOT BE DRIVING my TT as hard as i drove that car . It was an 320hp/1800lbs MK2 GTI

Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint

Step 2:remove the driveshaft.there are three bolts connecting the output shaft of the transmission to the driveshaft.Once removed slide the shaft towards the rear of the car and remove it from the front diff.
Remove the black tranny brace first. The forward facing bolts are the ones removed w/ a 15mm socket; you will need to rotate the shaft (neutral no p brake) to get access to all 3. I had to pry slightly under the rubber isolator to break the shaft free to slide it forward to remove.

Last edited by BMiller33; 11-02-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: stupid question i had, fixed it.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:26 PM
joey996tt is infamous around these parts
I recently had a front axle fail so I did the rwd conversion removed diff, driveshaft and used my axle stubs. When I purschased my car I was told it had a wavetrac installed but after I removed the awd With the car on the lift i can spin 1 one rear wheel with no effect on the other. Is it possible the clutches are bad or more possible I was lied to. Either way very disappointed. All my knowledgeable Porsche guys said i was crazy for running awd if I had an lsd. Other than that I love the car rwd current set makes 530rwhp very fun can't wait to get some fresh tires on it and work on some launches.

Last edited by joey996tt; 11-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joey996tt
I recently had a front axle fail so I did the rwd conversion removed diff, driveshaft and used my axle stubs. When I purschased my car I was told it had a wavetrac installed but after I removed the awd With the car on the lift i can spin 1 one rear wheel with no effect on the other. Is it possible the clutches are bad or more possible I was lied to. Either way very disappointed. All my knowledgeable Porsche guys said i was crazy for running awd if I had an lsd. Other than that I love the car rwd current set makes 530rwhp very fun can't wait to get some fresh tires on it and work on some launches.
Not crazy for running both, but you dont need both for sure. Especially if not on road course.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joey996tt
this is what the wavetrac looks like. i have it installed in my turbo. if you can see the spider gears in the diff you dont have a wavetrac

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	462776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	462777  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Guide To A Rwd Conversion For The 996 Turbo