996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help! car not turning on, guages and all warning lights are on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
Help! car not turning on, guages and all warning lights are on.

Ok here is the story. Qute a long one....

Went out with a couple boys to a deserted area to get some runs, n some launches on the car.

20 minutes later i get a battery /regenerator message warning.

im looking at the battery level guage and its down to 11 volts (from i think 13,14/ halfway mark)
Then a few minutes later its down to 10v

then i shut my car off, i figure i might have threw something off, let everything reset.

I proceed to the front of the car to double check my battery is connected. and confirmed it is.
the next thing i do is shut off the car to give it a rest. This time my car doesnt even start! ( i knew with the whole battery thing this might be a problem but took my risks).
We rolled the car into gear... car is on, and next thing you know, the gas guage is below Empty.

I could have swore half an hour ago, my guage was at almost half. This was impossible, and had to be a mistake.

On my way out of the field, i notice the ABS, PSM, airbag, rearspoiler failure lights. The guages are going nutz with failures left and right. Lights that my car never seen before.

I stalled(felt like no gas in tank. very wierd feeling).

We tried again to roll the car to start. this time no good. Felt like no gas was coming in + no gas was available.

We then went to the gas station to get a gallon of gas.

Filled that up, and again, tried rolling car into start, No good.
no battery power whatsoever!

We then got the car boosted, but it didnt start.

Finally i got the car towed to my house. I am contemplating what to do, and what to know what you guys feel the problem might be.

Why would all these crazy failures, starting with a battery regenerator warning all the way to low gas, and no start, happen all together.
What can cause this.

Mass airflow sensor? ( i have the evo intake.)

lookin forward to some ideas.
Regards
Mike

Last edited by AIRjordan23; 05-10-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:36 PM
-one more thing. As car is sitting in garage, all the guage lights (..u know abs, psm..everything, the whole christmas tree) are on. i cant turn the car on (obviously) cant lock, cant roll up the windows.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Get the codes read!!! So we don't sit here and play twenty questions. BTW, your lights will all light up until the car starts...normal.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
i agree...however car was towed to house and scheduled to be towed to dealership on monday.

I dont have any tools to read codes.

At this time im just very curious and anxious to find out.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
air did you try unhooking your batt for 15 min. and the try to restart... sometimes that resets the computer... it worked for once good luck

Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
Have you hooked up a battery meter to your battery. What is the actual voltage now. These cars are pretty finicky about low battery and do some weird things when they are low I am told.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I bet you blew the MAF. Did you bouce off the rev limiter (not hard at all with these cars)?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by steve harris
air did you try unhooking your batt for 15 min. and the try to restart... sometimes that resets the computer... it worked for once good luck
no i did not. i will do so tomorow morning.

I did not hit the rev limiter.

However, like i said, the only "out of the ordinary" part was the bad launch, where it felt like the car was not moving, just reving very fast all the way close to redline, and then shifting to 2nd, feel, then third, same thing, then i shut it down..something felt very wierd. it felt as if i was not moving. felt like i dont have turbos. then i smelt my clutch and it smelt really bad.
this was the only wierd thing that happend and only thing i can say ws out of the ordinary and might have contributed to the mess.

i did some research about the MAF lights, however this car really freaked me out. it felt liek it ran out of gas. the car cannot turn on, once boosted or once connected to external power, and the car cannot get rolled into gear to be on. When we tried this it felt l ike no gas is going into the engine.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
If your alternator belt is off, then once the battery is down the car won't run. Plus with low supply voltage all the electroncs will do unpredictable things. With very expensive cars with many electronics devices I usually will not try jumping (boosting, external power, whatever)... you can damage many thousands of dollars worth of components.

Plus perhaps a burned up clutch....

A

Old 04-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by ard
If your alternator belt is off, then once the battery is down the car won't run. Plus with low supply voltage all the electroncs will do unpredictable things. With very expensive cars with many electronics devices I usually will not try jumping (boosting, external power, whatever)... you can damage many thousands of dollars worth of components.

Plus perhaps a burned up clutch....

A

hmm....some good advise here.
How do i check the alternator belt and see if thats the culprit.
Also, when car was connected to power in effort to boost, (just so i can start it), there was a cranking, or attempting to crank noise from around the passenger side next to rear wheel. it was a clicking sound, lasted for as long as i tried to start the car. Is this the starter?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
thinkin your in limp mode thats why i mentioned unhookin your batt..... let us know what the cauce was or is c ya

Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
Do you know the voltage of the battery yet?

Old 04-23-2007, 05:29 PM
update: switched "dead" optima battery with stock battery in the house.

update:

replaced optima battery with oem stock battery. this battery in theory should be full, because it was fine when i switched to optima.

Car started. everything seems fine.

in the meantime the optima battery has to be super drained.
my voltmeter doesnt work (no battery..lol how ironic)
however, like i said it has to be at zero since the car doesnt start.

now once i replaced back to stock bat, car started. however battery voltage guage is under 12v.

its around 11v.

usually its at around 13v if im not mistaken (with the car running).

Anyway, once the car turned on, i revved it alittle, things seem ok.
Gas guage clearly shows half a tank. (just what i thought. i knew i didnt run out of gas. very not like me.)
So that rules out running out of gas. (however sure felt like it when car stalled).

now all the other psm, abs, airbag etc. lights did not show up except for
BATTERY/REGENERATER WARNING.

i guess in theory (according to what i learned) if i would have drove the car and had it running longer than the 5 minutes i had it running today, all the other lights would have came out since the bat level is still low, and i guess with all these electronics, they freak out when you underpower them, which is something that is happening right about now.

-so...my question would be.
Is this my alternator? (car cranked today and idled for 5-10 minutes on oem battery, whch wasnt the battery taht was present yesterday), and yet voltage is not going over 11v.

anything else in mind.

Clearly the first warning is BATTERY/REGENERATOR warning.

that was the first warning message ysterday... 20 minutes later my car started acting all freaky and stalling out/not starting.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
check the belt tension.....

SM

Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
suman where is this belt tension located so i can check it.
thanks
mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! car not turning on, guages and all warning lights are on.