996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wastegate pressure tester/adjuster we all have

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
Wastegate pressure tester/adjuster we all have

Our portable tire pump! I have a picture of my home-made wastegate pressure tester, but don't know how to post it. Anyway, it worked quite well. Info on this forum indicated that the wastegates should start opening around 11.5 to 12 psi, which translates to 1.2 - 1.3 bar. I was able to adjust both of my Evo wastegates to start opening at 12 psi. You can adjust the amount of pressure being sent to the wastegates with the little black **** under the pressure gauge to see when they start to open in order to make adjustments to the wastegate rod screws. I attached a metal adapter with a tapered end at the end of the hose that you attach to the tire stem, and a clear hose to complete the pressure tester. The car now makes consistent 1.2 bar, with an occassional 1.3. I am going to go back and turn the adjustment screws 1/2 turn down to limit the pressure to 1.2 bar. I have hit the 1.3 throttle limiter a couple of times.

If anyone can post the pic, let me know. I will send it to you.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
Are you sure on the calculations?? I thought that 1 bar = 14.5 PSI which would make your 11.5 PSI about .8 bar?

Not challenging you just would like to know myself.

Also would like to see the phots of your homemade tester. I've got a spare bicycle pump

Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
Slant911, you are correct in that 11.5 psi equals about .8 bar. In my original post I should have been more clear when I wrote that "... wastegates should start opening around 11.5 to 12 psi, which translates to 1.2 - 1.3 bar." and added "...which translates to 1.2 - 1.3 bar by the time the wastegates are FULLY OPEN." According to guys more knowledgeable than me on this forum, in order to obtain a maximum of 1.2 bar (about 17.5 psi) the wastegates need to START to open at 11.5 psi - 12 psi so that by the time they are FULLY open, the pressure will have built up to the 1.2 - 1.3 bar target range. If you adjust the wastegates to start to open at 17.5 psi, by the time they are fully open the exhaust pressure at the turbos would have reached pressures north of 22 psi.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Great post. I would like to see a picture of this unit.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
you did it exactly the same way two weeks ago..I used a portable tire pump..!!

I do not have the clutch (OEM is gone) to test an accurate impression but based in a video that I did I am hitting 1.2 app. 500 rpms sunner and that is a lot for me...I just love the imporevement in low end and I am looking forward to get more...considerening EVO 70mm polyurethane turbo fresh air inlet ducts.

Last edited by Pierre996TT; 04-23-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Valley996TT
Our portable tire pump! I have a picture of my home-made wastegate pressure tester, but don't know how to post it. Anyway, it worked quite well. Info on this forum indicated that the wastegates should start opening around 11.5 to 12 psi, which translates to 1.2 - 1.3 bar. I was able to adjust both of my Evo wastegates to start opening at 12 psi. You can adjust the amount of pressure being sent to the wastegates with the little black **** under the pressure gauge to see when they start to open in order to make adjustments to the wastegate rod screws. I attached a metal adapter with a tapered end at the end of the hose that you attach to the tire stem, and a clear hose to complete the pressure tester. The car now makes consistent 1.2 bar, with an occassional 1.3. I am going to go back and turn the adjustment screws 1/2 turn down to limit the pressure to 1.2 bar. I have hit the 1.3 throttle limiter a couple of times.

If anyone can post the pic, let me know. I will send it to you.
Nice Setup!

Anyone know how much pressure should be held when adjusting the GT640 / GT700 28's? I would like to check and see if mine are calibrated properly.