996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sat Night Races: Corvette vs GT2 vs Supra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Sat Night Races: Corvette vs GT2 vs Supra

Last night we lined em up boys and here is the story.

The cars: Supercharged Corvette C6 w/ 560 rwhp, GT2 w/ 590rwhp (my car) and Supra of unknown hp, but a very fast car that won the street division at the Supra Nationals 60-130 competition. This Supra ran even w/ Jamies Protomotive full 700 car.

Rob MD and Dr. Joe were videotaping...but they are better at medicine than camera work so I am not sure if there is any good video, but if there is hopefully Rob will post it.

I ran the Corvette multiple times and here is what happened: We started from 60 which put me at nearly 4 K rpms in third (IE close to maximum boost). Even so, the Corvette would still get the jump due to the powerband of the Pro-Charger and the massive torque of the V-8. However, even if the car got the jump I would reel it back in by 110 and blow by at 120. On our last few runs I made shure the Corvette didn't get the jump and had it by at least a car length and then of course more after 120. The Corvette owner might claim that I jumped and to that charge I will plead the 5th. What I will say for anyone who is comparing the 2 cars is that the cars are very competative below 110, but not above.

Now on to the Supra.....

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 04-30-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
To be honest, I expected a walking by the Supra. It is a very fast car and is driven by an excellent and experienced driver. However, we were actually very, very competative.

The Supra kept trying to draw me into starting our run from 70 plus MPH. This strategy would have allowed him to start from his better powerband (Supras don't make power until 5K rpm). To my credit I knew this so I dropped back and maintained 60 thereby forcing him to run my race. By doing so, I got the jump (fair and square) and I was shocked that he could only reel me back in but not pass me. We ran hard until we were above 150 and then shut down due to oncoming traffic. The one time I didn't get the jump the Supra pulled on me by about 3/4 of a car length but surprisingly no more.

A special thanks goes out to Dr. Joe who lent me a quart of oil and advised me to always carry 2 extra quarts in case of emergency.

Now if we can just work on his camera skills....

Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Nick2JZ has a spectacular aura aboutNick2JZ has a spectacular aura about
It was very close race between you and the Vette, but as the faster you go.............Porsche start to shine. This night suppose to be between you and Sparky...............where did he go after the carshow?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
To be honest, I expected a walking by the Supra. It is a very fast car and is driven by an excellent and experienced driver. However, we were actually very, very competative.

The Supra kept trying to draw me into starting our run from 70 plus MPH. This strategy would have allowed him to start from his better powerband (Supras don't make power until 5K rpm). To my credit I knew this so I dropped back and maintained 60 thereby forcing him to run my race. By doing so, I got the jump (fair and square) and I was shocked that he could only reel me back in but not pass me. We ran hard until we were above 150 and then shut down due to oncoming traffic. The one time I didn't get the jump the Supra pulled on me by about 3/4 of a car length but surprisingly no more.

A special thanks goes out to Dr. Joe who lent me a quart of oil and advised me to always carry 2 extra quarts in case of emergency.

Now if we can just work on his camera skills....
So true! The second run i was out of my sweet spot so you pulled away. To help Jaime's understand better about our runs is that i am on pump gas versus i am on race gas against Jaime's.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Nick,

I just got off the phone w/ Paulie....it was past his bed time. He went home. He thought that we were going straight from the car show to the Toll way.

The car that really shines above 130 is yours....I was really shocked that I could compete w/ you...I expected a spanking. And dammit, I KNOW I smelled race gas!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Nick,

I have made a few observations about your car. Of course the race verses pump issue makes a big difference since you can run more boost on race gas. However another big diff is that if we are at a steady 60 mph you are not able to utilize your powerband. This may seem strange since your car does well in 60-130. The difference is that you are building boost as you ramp up to 60. At a steady 60 in a street race you do not have the same ability.

Mental note to self; always draw Supras down to 60 if you encounter them on the freeway.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Nick,

I just got off the phone w/ Paulie....it was past his bed time. He went home. He thought that we were going straight from the car show to the Toll way.

The car that really shines above 130 is yours....I was really shocked that I could compete w/ you...I expected a spanking. And dammit, I KNOW I smelled race gas!
Your P-car is super fast so don't be under estimate your car. What you are smelling is i am 100% sure is not race gas.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The trick is to get any car at about a 30mph roll as long as you can hook lol. Well atleast with me.. Man I love AWD!

It was late last night but I got 3 phone calls to come out to Mexico to check out the races. Have a few people that want to go 1 on 1 with the stock ol black one I think next time out I may hurt a few feelings, well maybe not Joe, Paulie, and Sean. Just more on the lines of the heads/cam f-bodys and Mustangs.

Oh well maybe next weekend when I'm not dead tired. Woke up at 6:45am yesterday, had a bunch of stuff to do.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The only way to Always know if someone was on race gas or not is to 1. check for white tail pipes 2. check the boost he's running... Obviously at 30 psi u need race gas but at not 20 psi maybe not so.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
The only way to Always know if someone was on race gas or not is to 1. check for white tail pipes 2. check the boost he's running... Obviously at 30 psi u need race gas but at not 20 psi maybe not so.
markski
Or that sweet C16 smell.. LOL I love it

Some of the people I know mix a few gallons C16 and Pump gas though so they can run more boost, but not as much as they can on straight race gas.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 AM
So Nick, are you down for designing some nice jewelery for my wife?

She deserves it for putting up w/ me. She knew I was going racing last night....she asked, as I was leaving the house; "where are you going?" I answered "oh just hanging out w/ the car guys...by the way baby, you know where my will is, right?" needless to say I got several calls from her, lol.

I am bad, I know.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Hey Sean how do you like the Cayenne so far. My buddy is thinking about getting a non-turbo one right now. Think we are going to look at them today.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Nick,

I have made a few observations about your car. Of course the race verses pump issue makes a big difference since you can run more boost on race gas. However another big diff is that if we are at a steady 60 mph you are not able to utilize your powerband. This may seem strange since your car does well in 60-130. The difference is that you are building boost as you ramp up to 60. At a steady 60 in a street race you do not have the same ability.

Mental note to self; always draw Supras down to 60 if you encounter them on the freeway.
Sean, you observered too much about your opponent car that in the future i will be more secretive around you. With my set-up, believe it or not 60mph is the beginning of my sweet spot. The second run i think we started below 55mph punch. The 60-130 event i was on race gas therefore the powerband is totally different from pump gas.

Mental note to self: next time let Sean bring me down below 60mph when i am on race gas and brake boost.

Last edited by Nick2JZ; 04-30-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
very nice,

Old 04-30-2007, 12:28 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
nice. sounds like a good time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sat Night Races: Corvette vs GT2 vs Supra