996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Buying a serious track/race car vs upgrading to a TT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
Great thread. My .02: TT not for autocross but great for road courses. If you're afraid of some rubber scuffs and pitted windscreen, stay off of the track. A dedicated track car makes the most sense and I would recommend a used cup car. Don't convert the TT b/c it is too heavy for agility, to be a real club racer you need the whole cage not just a bar and you will strip the costly interior (gut it) when it is a great all around stand alone king of the hill handling speed thrill on wheels that it is. Plus the incredible speed and weight combine for tremendous wear on the pads tires rotors etc. If you haven't seen cup cars in PCA racing you are missing out on a treat.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:01 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
james,

When Dave Colman, Excellence Feature Editor, took KA to an autocross, he turned heads all over the place. There was some pretty stiff competition present and he took Top Time of The Day by over two seconds. That I might add was against some specially set up 914-6's on race tires. Dave is a top SCCA autocrosser. His comment after driving KA was, with race tires KA would place within the top five cars nationally.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:26 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
james,

When Dave Colman, Excellence Feature Editor, took KA to an autocross, he turned heads all over the place. There was some pretty stiff competition present and he took Top Time of The Day by over two seconds. That I might add was against some specially set up 914-6's on race tires. Dave is a top SCCA autocrosser. His comment after driving KA was, with race tires KA would place within the top five cars nationally.
$300K for a 914-6 equaling X-cross time - whoa .

Old 03-27-2004, 06:29 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Two seconds is eternity. Besides, a turbo can't autocross, remember.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
CJV, I didn't mean to suggest the TT can't autocross. It is the one car that can do just about anything but off road (Pike's Peak anyone?). I just meant to say that the autocross venue kind of jams up the car and doesn't let it run like it should/can/will/could. I did my very first "race" in my TT at an autocross late and not knowing or walking the track. My first run everyone laughed at me b/c I missed a cone and stopped. They yelled out, "hey, doesn't that thing have navigation in it?" Hardy har har. I was so embarrassed being a newbie, but by the third run had the best lap of any of the "Autocrossers." They voted me most improved at the dinner. Anyway, I guess the road courses are where the car just blows everyone's doors off (some courses more than others). BTW, did anyone see the GT 3R cup car in Panorama for 114,000?! it is 2003 in Englewood, CA.

Last edited by james; 03-27-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:50 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
What I am saying is that a C4 doesn't deserve a second look, but a TT turns heads. Personally I think the C4 is a dog in all performance categories. I would rather have a M3 and cash in my pocket.
I'll take the first part of your sig to heart and not reply to the quote.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:46 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by dgussin1
What I am saying is that a C4 doesn't deserve a second look. Personally I think the C4 is a dog in all performance categories.
That's a pretty funny statement coming from a Mustang owner. Maybe not on a straight with your drag pumped up car, but do some REAL driving that invloves twisties and the C4 will say Bye Bye to you...

Last edited by rockitman; 03-27-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:13 PM
cjv
It's amazing how much faster it makes one's car by simply knocking down someone else's. Is that what they call a cheap mod?

Old 03-28-2004, 09:07 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
It's amazing how much faster it makes one's car by simply knocking down someone else's. Is that what they call a cheap mod?

Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Chad, but the real question is, can KA win an enduro against a GT3-RSR? After all, they are close to the same MSRP.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:18 PM
cjv
Tyson,

Why is that the "real question?" Killer Angel is first a street car. I believe she has a better sound system and the seats are more comfortable. Besides, not any places on the street that I have found to run an enduro. So I guess you are correct, she wouldn't be competitive in an endro. I think she would run out of fuel to soon.

I would hope a GT3 RS could beat Killer Angel in all catagories..... or could it? Nah, already know KA can walk around a GT3 RS while exiting a turn.

Last edited by cjv; 03-28-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:19 PM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
That's a pretty funny statement coming from a Mustang owner. Maybe not on a straight with your drag pumped up car, but do some REAL driving that invloves twisties and the C4 will say Bye Bye to you...
you would be surprised what my Cobra can do in the twisties. You have to remember my car has a crazy suspension setup STOCK.

Front: Modified MacPherson strut system with gas-charged Bilstein monotube dampeners and separate 500 lb/in spring on lower arm, 29mm tubular stabilizer bar
Rear: Multi-link independent system, cast iron upper control arm, aluminum lower control arm, fixed toe-control tie rod, aluminum spindle, gas-charged Bilstein monotube shock absorber, 470 lb/in spring, 26mm tubular stabilizer bar

I looked up the stock skidpads #'s for the 2003 Cobra and found anywhere from .84g to a best of .92g. A friend of mine upgraded to a Coil-over suspension for about $1300 along with changing to pilot sports and pulled 1.03g on a skidpad. Hows that for a "mustang". Through all my searching on the internet I found that the Carerra NON-Turbo had a skidpad ranging from a .85g to a best of .95g.

I am not arguing, I am informing.

Last edited by dgussin1; 03-28-2004 at 06:50 PM.