996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Guys....Double Clutch??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Not much experience with 996's, but don't you guys find it easier to double-clutch downshifts into 1st gear?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I double clutch when I'm just about to contact the Armco

Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I used to double clutch when my second and fifth gear syncros were dying. Since I got those replaced, I've never needed to. The maintenance guy I took for a test ride was astounded. I don't think he knew what I was doing.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Just interested on how many of you track guys double clutch on your downshifts or just single clutch with a little harder blip?
Depends on your goals. If you want to race, learn to double clutch. If you want to drive your 996TT in a few DEs a year, not necessary.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Doug H
Depends on your goals. If you want to race, learn to double clutch. If you want to drive your 996TT in a few DEs a year, not necessary.

Thanks Doug, that's what I was loking for

tw

Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
heel\toe is a diffrent movement than double or single clutching. Heel toe is braking and blipping at the same time. Double clutching is rev matching with the gearbox in neutral. Single clutching is rev matching with the clutch in, gearbox not in neutral
BTW, I double clutch all of my heel toe downshifts. Habbit from driving Formula cars that don't downshift smoothly. Really only occurs in braking zones on a track unless misshifted or short shifted into a higher gear and need to correct gear while accellerating.

There is a rythym to it especially when going down more than one gear in a hard brake. It actually becomes second nature and is very easy to do smoothly once you get the rythym. That extra half second pause may also keep you from an over rev caused by downshifting too early in the braking zone.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Old 05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Hernando is infamous around these parts
I almost always do the Heel/Toe thing on the street, it's already second nature for me, plus it's fun. I also blip the throttle on downshifts regularly. Never really do the Double Clutch thing.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
BTW, I double clutch all of my heel toe downshifts. Habbit from driving Formula cars that don't downshift smoothly. Really only occurs in braking zones on a track unless misshifted or short shifted into a higher gear and need to correct gear while accellerating.

There is a rythym to it especially when going down more than one gear in a hard brake. It actually becomes second nature and is very easy to do smoothly once you get the rythym. That extra half second pause may also keep you from an over rev caused by downshifting too early in the braking zone.
I really enjoy your inputs! I will be going to Barber soon, and I will be doing bothe the PDE and the BMW driving schools. I have always messed around with my cars on tracks. When I was young I did some karting, but since I went to boarding school I never got to pursue it too much. I ish I would have. I consider my self a good driver, but I still want to polish my techniques.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hernando
I really enjoy your inputs! I will be going to Barber soon, and I will be doing bothe the PDE and the BMW driving schools. I have always messed around with my cars on tracks. When I was young I did some karting, but since I went to boarding school I never got to pursue it too much. I ish I would have. I consider my self a good driver, but I still want to polish my techniques.
Thanks. I will be at Barber on May 28 with BMW club and in June for the PCA event (like the second week of June). Hope to see you there. I will have a Dark Blue Elise.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts

What??? Double clutching on formulas? What formulas have you been driving, mate? On Formula Fords and Formula Palmer-Audi's some skipped clutching AT ALL on upshifts let alone DOUBLE CLUTCHING.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks. I will be at Barber on May 28 with BMW club and in June for the PCA event (like the second week of June). Hope to see you there. I will have a Dark Blue Elise.
Unfortunately I will be Going to Russia on the 30th so I won't have time to make it up on the 28th, I have some things to take care of before I leave, but I may be able to make it on the second week of june.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by kiko
What??? Double clutching on formulas? What formulas have you been driving, mate? On Formula Fords and Formula Palmer-Audi's some skipped clutching AT ALL on upshifts let alone DOUBLE CLUTCHING.
Dodge, RT, and Mazda.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by kiko
BTW, do you mean upshifts or downshifts. Only Fast and Furious drivers need to double clutch going from second to third. I think we are all talking about going from third to second.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Dodge? What do you mean by formulas? Formulas here in Europe are single seaters but I believe we are talking different things here.

you can only skip clutch (acceptably) on straight teeth gearbox H-pattern but preferably squential.

On sequential you can do all upshifts 1 to 2, 2nd to 3rd, etc.

On H-pattern only the in-line upshifts engage smoothly like 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th. You can actually do this on your road car (w/ helical teeth) if you allow the revs to match.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Guys....Double Clutch??