996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Guys....Double Clutch??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Lordy,

I think we are talking about 5 different things...

Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
ShimShimHada is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kiko
Dodge? What do you mean by formulas? Formulas here in Europe are single seaters but I believe we are talking different things here.

you can only skip clutch (acceptably) on straight teeth gearbox H-pattern but preferably squential.

On sequential you can do all upshifts 1 to 2, 2nd to 3rd, etc.

On H-pattern only the in-line upshifts engage smoothly like 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th. You can actually do this on your road car (w/ helical teeth) if you allow the revs to match.
I think Doug is talking about H-pattern shifters, and this whole thread is about downshifting, not upshifting.

You can't even double clutch on sequential with straight cut gears, can you? I think the only time you use the clutch is when you single clutch heeltoe downshift.

Some of the members here seem to think that when it comes to downshifting it's either double declutching OR heeltoe-ing. You can combine those techniques into double clutch heel toe downshifts.

It's a good skill to learn regardless.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Hernando is infamous around these parts
[quote=kiko]Dodge? What do you mean by formulas? Formulas here in Europe are single seaters but I believe we are talking different things here.
quote]

Here the Formula cars are also single seaters, it's a series called formula dodge, it's done through Skip Barber racing schools.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
[quote=Hernando]
Dodge? What do you mean by formulas? Formulas here in Europe are single seaters but I believe we are talking different things here.
quote]

Here the Formula cars are also single seaters, it's a series called formula dodge, it's done through Skip Barber racing schools.
Yep. I raced in the Regional Skip Barber racing series then I bought a Formula Mazda to race SCCA and NASA.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of

you can only skip clutch (acceptably) on straight teeth gearbox H-pattern but preferably squential.

On sequential you can do all upshifts 1 to 2, 2nd to 3rd, etc.

On H-pattern only the in-line upshifts engage smoothly like 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th. You can actually do this on your road car (w/ helical teeth) if you allow the revs to match.
Haha. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Why do you rev match going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd? Technically, you would rev match when dropping into a lower gear so as not to create trailing throttle oversteer or unsettle and unbalance a car going into a turn.

There are Formula Dodge, Formula Dodge RTs, Formula Mazda, Formula Atlantic, Formula Ford, Formula 5000 and etc. Lots of Formula classes.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
ShimShimHada is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Doug H
Haha. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Why do you rev match going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd? Technically, you would rev match when dropping into a lower gear so as not to create trailing throttle oversteer or unsettle and unbalance a car going into a turn.

There are Formula Dodge, Formula Dodge RTs, Formula Mazda, Formula Atlantic, Formula Ford, Formula 5000 and etc. Lots of Formula classes.
@ miscommunication in this thread.

Kiko is talking about upshifting WITHOUT using the clutch at all. Why he brought that up, I do not know.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
jaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the roughjaykla is a jewel in the rough
The only person that needs to double clutch is Chuck Norris!

Old 05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
kiko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ShimShimHada
@ miscommunication in this thread.

Kiko is talking about upshifting WITHOUT using the clutch at all. Why he brought that up, I do not know.
Exactly! I was very clear about that when I said "skip clutch".

I brought that up as because I was amazed anyone on a Formula would Double Clutch and went even further saying that on Formula Ford and Palmer-Audi's we used to skip (not use) at all the clutch on upshifts.

All to say double clutching is pointless on modern syncro gearboxes specially under racing or lapping conditions.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:10 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Hey twinkle toes, do you wear ballet shoes?
You should learn about what's actually being talked about by other members on this thread... such as Dave H who seems to be the only PCA certified instructor responding. Stick with tiptronic... that seems to be your best option.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by L Gancho
You should learn about what's actually being talked about by other members on this thread... such as Dave H who seems to be the only PCA certified instructor responding. Stick with tiptronic... that seems to be your best option.
Hey Twinkle Toe! It was a joke, mate! You haven't been here long enough to know Steve...

BTW, there's nothing to be discussed here unless you drive a 49' VW Bettle or a non synchro box and if thats the case it should be discussed somewhere else.

Chill out.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
This thread gave me a freaking headache! I think Woodster's comment sums it up: " I think we are talking about 5 different things..."

Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
prg
prg is infamous around these parts
To sum up the manifold directions of this thread:

1. You don't derive any meaningful benefit from double clutching a downshift on a modern syncromesh gear box. Never the less, some find this technique aesthetically pleasing and use it anyway.

2. Most racing drivers don't use the clutch when upshifting a dog box (non-synchromesh) whether is is sequential or H-pattern.

3. Some racing drivers use the clutch on their downshifts with a dogbox. Many racing drivers (myself included) down shift a dogbox with out the clutch. I only use the clutch to take off from a dead stop.

4. Skippy school seems to be the only place that teaches double clutching a dogbox.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I have a bad habit of Double clutching I am trying to kick when on the track.
I did however get 80K miles on my 996 clutch, I think all the double clutching had somthing to do with it and I drove the **** out of that car.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by prg
To sum up the manifold directions of this thread:

1. You don't derive any meaningful benefit from double clutching a downshift on a modern syncromesh gear box. Never the less, some find this technique aesthetically pleasing and use it anyway.

2. Most racing drivers don't use the clutch when upshifting a dog box (non-synchromesh) whether is is sequential or H-pattern.

3. Some racing drivers use the clutch on their downshifts with a dogbox. Many racing drivers (myself included) down shift a dogbox with out the clutch. I only use the clutch to take off from a dead stop.

4. Skippy school seems to be the only place that teaches double clutching a dogbox.
What he said!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
How can you say there is NO benefit to double-clutching. It produces less wear on the syncho.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Guys....Double Clutch??