996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

FYI: Revised JIC Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
FYI: Revised JIC Spring Rates

A few weeks ago, I dusted off the toolbox and installed the JIC Cross coilovers. After driving around on them, I quickly realized that while they would perform well at the track, that unless you live in an area with good roads (Chicago roads suck), your ride was going to be way too rough for everyday use. And while I am definitely biased towards a stiff setup, even these seem a tad too much for me. And the PSS9s were definitely too soft for my taste, though they make a great alternative to the stock setup. They are basically a good street coilover.

At any rate, I've been cooresponding with JIC in furthering their development with my feedback, and they've in turn released new springs for our cars. The original hard setup, which I have on my car, was 12/16 (front/rear) kg/mm. That's ~675lb/900lb! I love the chasis response, but for a car that spends most of the time on the Chicago streets, these were too much.

Now, they carry 3 new spring rates:
Soft: 7/10
Med: 8/12
Hard: 10/14

This will definitely benefit us, as we're pretty limited in choices of coilovers as it is. Keep in mind, their softest setup is slotted approximately 30% stiffer than the PSS9s. As soon as I get around to swapping the springs, I'll make another post of my findings.

PS. For those who want to swap out their springs, they are run'n a special of $50/spring (instead of usual $80). I'm going to try out their Med setup next.

Stephen
'01 Turbo Ti Upsolute
1stephen1.com

Old 03-27-2004, 12:49 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
You must be getting massive tire slap with those spring rates on the street .

Old 03-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
Stephen,
I would like to order the soft (7/10) springs. Who should I contact at JIC. Do you have a number. Thanks for the info. I feel the same way, a little too stiff for everyday driving. So ours came with springs rated with the 10/14 spring rate (hard)?
Ron

Old 03-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Rodis
Stephen,
I would like to order the soft (7/10) springs. Who should I contact at JIC. Do you have a number. Thanks for the info. I feel the same way, a little too stiff for everyday driving. So ours came with springs rated with the 10/14 spring rate (hard)?
Ron
Depends on when your coilovers were shipped... mine actually came with ultra-stiff 12/16, which on everyday Chicago roads, are simply way too stiff.

I spoke with a guy named Ben over at JIC (562-803-6122). You can always check with one of our board sponsors as well. I'd definitely suggest 7/10 as a possible solution. We also have to look into valving of the dampers though... if they valving of the dampers are too aggresive, the harshness will not be resolved with softer springs.

Stephen

PS. Yeah... the car has a lot of road noise. Then again, the stock PZEROs are pretty loud to begin with.

Last edited by StephenTi; 04-11-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
7/10 still sounds pretty stiff to me for a mostly street use car. I think I'd even go lower... just my .02

Old 03-28-2004, 03:28 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
Cary,
I'll check with Ben at JIC. Thanks for the advice.
Ron