996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coilover comparison thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
Coilover comparison thread

Suppose I've made up my mind to spend some bux to replace the factory parts (regular tt) with aftermarket coilovers. Digging through the archives turned up PSS9, JIC Cross, and KW. How have you guys decided which brand to go with? Each of the brands has its advocates in the archives, but I haven't found a thread that compares them.

Which of the 3 include a setting that's close to stock in terms of stiffness for street use? I drive this thing everyday and don't want my eyeballs rattling out on bad pavement.

TIA!

Jeff

Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Bilsteins are closest to stock

Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Q..
Q.. is infamous around these parts
This is probably a good place to ask.... are Gemballa coilovers re-branded PSS9's ?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Q..
This is probably a good place to ask.... are Gemballa coilovers re-branded PSS9's ?
I believe Gemballa use H&R coilover.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
PSS9 and X73 will be close to stock ride.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the relies thus far. I need to expand my list to:
PSS9
JIC Cross
KW
H&R
Gemballa (same as H&R?)

I'm wondering if all of these coilover options include at least one setting that is close to stock in terms of ride harshness.

And I'm still wondering how those of you who made the change decided which brand to go with.

Jeff

Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Im with KW, stiffer and firmer on the corners

Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Are you doing some track? If no track go with PSS9! If some track in the future go with KW or JIC. If you want to step up to a new level, Motons or JRZ...tom

Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 AM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
I did PSS9's and I like the ride for the street. You can't go quite as low with them as JIC/Cross, but if you are looking for close to stock ride feel (only slightly stiffer) and lower stance they are good. It's low enough that I sometimes scrape the front lip on my driveway, so I don't think I could have gone much lower anyway even if I had more aggressive suspension.

Last edited by AG996LV; 05-02-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
kayman is infamous around these parts
I was originally considering PSS9s but I didnt like the height restrictions. I ended up going with JIC's and have them set to the softest settings (with the purple springs). The ride is a bit firmer than stock, but its still very comfortable. Handling is much improved.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by kayman
I was originally considering PSS9s but I didnt like the height restrictions. I ended up going with JIC's and have them set to the softest settings (with the purple springs). The ride is a bit firmer than stock, but its still very comfortable. Handling is much improved.
Thanks for the feedback, guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I expect to track the car a few times each year (Thunderhill, and Laguna if I get really brave), but the car is my dd and I don't want to start hating it because it's knocking my fillings loose.

What amazes is the concept of the handling getting better than it is now. I had the car on highways 9 and 236 in the Santa Cruz mountains last Saturday. It's already a lot more fun than my Z51 + Bilstein + Mich PS2 + Magnacharger C5 in the twisties.

Jeff

Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
AL Z is infamous around these parts
AG996LV, can the PSS9 be adjusted to be softer then stock. Thanks..AL Z

Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
kayman is infamous around these parts
With the stock suspension, the car felt "floaty" at high speeds and it was very disconcerting. With the JIC's, it feels planted on the ground at all times and also corners with less sway. On bad roads, the ride is definitely more rough than stock, but on highways and regular streets, it's quite comfortable. The only time I've had passengers make any comments is when I'm driving over a rough patch of road.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:16 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
if you want want you eyeballs rattling out on bad pavement like me, get the JRZs

and driving my car in NYC, my eyesballs REALLY rattle!

Last edited by angldrkns9; 05-02-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:19 PM
AG996LV is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AL Z
AG996LV, can the PSS9 be adjusted to be softer then stock. Thanks..AL Z
I'm not sure, I haven't tried it on the softest setting. I run 4 in front and 6 in the rear and it's not much stiffer than stock. I just had them installed 2 weeks ago, so I haven't played with it much. There are many on here who may have more experience with them, maybe someone else can give you more info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coilover comparison thread