996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon air box for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:03 AM
alexandbella is infamous around these parts
Well if you look at this way, Cost of the V Blow plus all the MAF's that you need to replace, this airbox ain't a bad price.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:01 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ron_tokyo
Next mod: see-thru engine lid

Exactly Ron, If your going to do a mod like this you want people to see it in my opinion, not just a mechanic that opens the hood now and then.

IMHO, It does look good, but it's a complete waste of money.

I think my next buy will be some gold plated brake pipes

Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alexandbella
Well if you look at this way, Cost of the V Blow plus all the MAF's that you need to replace, this airbox ain't a bad price.
True I suppose in cost, but the V Flow is a performance enhancement.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:30 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
True I suppose in cost, but the V Flow is a performance enhancement.
Funny how you have so many opinions and apparently know nothing about the the performance characteristics of the box and snorkel, but we know what they say about opinions. I had the V-blow and lost many MAFs...my performance was not as good as now (problem is I upgrade multiple things, so I can never say one mod did this or that). I can say as part of the "kit", the performance is quite nice!

Since when did cost actually matter?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:25 AM
evo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the rough
ok im new to the porsche stuff, but u blow mafs with intakes?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by evo911
ok im new to the porsche stuff, but u blow mafs with intakes?
The stock MAF isnt great anyway, and if you get any kind of oil or whatever from an aftermarket filter on the element, it will foul...that being said, i have no aftermarket intake, and my MAF is on the way out as well.
There is a company called Injection Labs that makes custom MAFs too, they are apparently working on a solution for our cars as well.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
and with regards to the CF airbox discussion, not only is is insanely pimp it is also the same design that Porsche went with for the 997 airbox, so I would question whether its strictly a cosmetic change.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
cf look is abit too much for me personally, some one needs to design/fab a simple plastic snorkel to mount underneath the deck lid like the sportec cf and all that is needed is to cut out a hole in the stock box. simple, which ever of the tuners who figures this out first it will sell a **** load.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Funny how you have so many opinions and apparently know nothing about the the performance characteristics of the box and snorkel, but we know what they say about opinions. I had the V-blow and lost many MAFs...my performance was not as good as now (problem is I upgrade multiple things, so I can never say one mod did this or that). I can say as part of the "kit", the performance is quite nice!

Since when did cost actually matter?

each to their own, but bottom line here I think it's a complete waste of money, if you want to blow $2200.00 on Carbon airbox feel free. I remember you defending the V Flow when you had it stating at the time that you had no problem (I remember it clearly) and now you admit that you blew a stack of MAFs. I have said this all along that I thought the V Flow was an (could be) excellent Mod, but with everyone saying they were blowing MAFs I decided against it!

I could guess who convinced you to buy it! He's a very good sales man because you bought one

Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
not so much the cost or the looks that concern me, it's the way it's designed. by the looks it seems to be relativley thin in construction and could be prone to cracking or flaking/splintering. but I'm sure by the price it's probably has a lifetime warranty.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
The CF airbox is a great looking unit!!! That being said, I personally have little interest in upgrading the appearance of my engine bay. I would rather spend money on performance enhancements.

The V-Flow is an easy target for mockery because of the MAF issues. However, those that mock the V-Flow conveniently fail to acknowledge that EVOMS has resolved these issues (although the resolution is taking longer than desirable to permeate the market place, and some may continue to experience problems). Moreover, the V-Flow provides proven performance gains. In this regard, it is an entirely different product than the CF airbox.

I don’t want to hijack this thread which, based upon the original purpose of the thread, has nothing to do with the V-Flow. However, given the repetitive pejorative references to the V-Flow in this thread, I have briefly digressed to respond. Like I said upfront, the CF airbox looks great, and those that want to spend over $2,000 upgrading the appearance of their engine bay have a wonderful option available to them (which also likely improves airflow by virtue of the second snorkel and opening, although a similar modification can be done to the stock airbox for substantially less money).

Craig

Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by oak
a simple plastic snorkel to mount underneath the deck lid like the sportec cf
Originally Posted by oak
not so much the cost or the looks that concern me, it's the way it's designed. by the looks it seems to be relativley thin in construction and could be prone to cracking or flaking/splintering..
I'm confused....In one post, you say you want a solution like the Sportec CF box, but in another post you say that it looks poorly designed/constructed?

Old 05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Craig
The CF airbox is a great looking unit!!! That being said, I personally have little interest in upgrading the appearance of my engine bay. I would rather spend money on performance enhancements.

The V-Flow is an easy target for mockery because of the MAF issues. However, those that mock the V-Flow conveniently fail to acknowledge that EVOMS has resolved these issues (although the resolution is taking longer than desirable to permeate the market place, and some may continue to experience problems). Moreover, the V-Flow provides proven performance gains. In this regard, it is an entirely different product than the CF airbox.

I don’t want to hijack this thread which, based upon the original purpose of the thread, has nothing to do with the V-Flow. However, given the repetitive pejorative references to the V-Flow in this thread, I have briefly digressed to respond. Like I said upfront, the CF airbox looks great, and those that want to spend over $2,000 upgrading the appearance of their engine bay have a wonderful option available to them (which also likely improves airflow by virtue of the second snorkel and opening, although a similar modification can be done to the stock airbox for substantially less money).

Craig
Totally agreed, I use a stock airbox that has been cut along the top, this is what most euro outfits do! The Carbon unit does look good, but It's just a ridiculous cost full stop

Old 05-06-2007, 01:06 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
i would love to see a dyno comparison between the two items.. EVOMS vs UMW.....

Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by robmd99
i would love to see a dyno comparison between the two items.. EVOMS vs UMW.....
I think there would be nothing in it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon air box for 996TT?