996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Custom Exhaust info request....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
Can you give me Proto's contact number.

TIA

Jag
Hey Bro... got your PM and will hit ya back. Protosports number is.... 973-839-5353.. Ask for either John or Paul and tell them Alan sent ya. They will take very good care of you....

Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
Thanks for the link! I'm really starting to question the sanity of choosing 100 cell euro race cats at $600 a pop over these 200 cell cats for $90. Bang-for-the-buck-wise, I'm doubting that the ~$1000 price difference buys a kilobuck worth of added performance.

Jeff

Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Thanks for the link! I'm really starting to question the sanity of choosing 100 cell euro race cats at $600 a pop over these 200 cell cats for $90. Bang-for-the-buck-wise, I'm doubting that the ~$1000 price difference buys a kilobuck worth of added performance.

Jeff
Have those 100-cell euro race cats been flow benched? As much as it would make life simpler, I don't think it's quite as straight forward as cell density informs flow.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Have those 100-cell euro race cats been flow benched? As much as it would make life simpler, I don't think it's quite as straight forward as cell density informs flow.
Yeah, I agree that the relationship is probably not simple linear. But the ratio of open area to cross sectional area on the 100 cell cats sure looks bigger than the higher cell counts. If they use the same material thickness, the open area ratio has *got* to be larger for the 100 cells. I think it's safe to assume that a larger open area percentage equates to less pressure drop per CFM (more flow, IOW).

In addition to an allegedly larger open area percentage, the outside diameter of the 100 cell cores I'm considering is 5" versus 4" (IIRC) for the Magnaflow/Carsound parts. Again, I realize that proves nothing, but it sure suggests less pressure drop per CFM than the carsounds.

So yes, I have no data at this point, but I have strong reasons for thinking the 100 cell race cats will flow more CFM per unit pressure drop than the carsounds.

I almost taked myself into wanting the 100 cell cats just now, but then I remembered the $1k. I haven't reached the point of financial security when I can say "A grand? So what?"

Jeff

Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I was fortunate to have Stef & Herman at Europipe make me a custom "Bazooka". Steff prefers to call it a "Prototype"

The exhaust has the newest 100 cell racing cats. 70mm & 76mm tips. Light weight internals. Airflow, measured on a SuperflowSF-600 @ 20" H2O = 588 cfm. New "Prototype" backpressure on a stock 996TT at 6500 RPM = 0.080 bar. Backpressure with stock exhaust = 0.36 bar.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Yeah, I agree that the relationship is probably not simple linear. But the ratio of open area to cross sectional area on the 100 cell cats sure looks bigger than the higher cell counts. If they use the same material thickness, the open area ratio has *got* to be larger for the 100 cells. I think it's safe to assume that a larger open area percentage equates to less pressure drop per CFM (more flow, IOW).

In addition to an allegedly larger open area percentage, the outside diameter of the 100 cell cores I'm considering is 5" versus 4" (IIRC) for the Magnaflow/Carsound parts. Again, I realize that proves nothing, but it sure suggests less pressure drop per CFM than the carsounds.

So yes, I have no data at this point, but I have strong reasons for thinking the 100 cell race cats will flow more CFM per unit pressure drop than the carsounds.

I almost taked myself into wanting the 100 cell cats just now, but then I remembered the $1k. I haven't reached the point of financial security when I can say "A grand? So what?"

Jeff
These 200-cell cats are available on ebay for about $180:

http://www.metalcat.com.au/

Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
I called proto and spoke with John today. He said to chat with Raudel and Alan about the sound. I want to know about drone, idle, WOT, burbles, pops, and can you hear those turbo's and how loud can you hear the whistle from them.

TIA

Jag

Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I called proto and spoke with John today. He said to chat with Raudel and Alan about the sound. I want to know about drone, idle, WOT, burbles, pops, and can you hear those turbo's and how loud can you hear the whistle from them.

TIA

Jag
Jags do it, it sounds nothing like your straight pipes, very melodic with his turbo setup as with the Europipe, my RUF 590, Cargraphic and just what the car should sound like. The turbo whistle is cool at first but gets old fast, i hate straight pipes but that's me

Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Jags do it, it sounds nothing like your straight pipes, very melodic with his turbo setup as with the Europipe, my RUF 590, Cargraphic and just what the car should sound like. The turbo whistle is cool at first but gets old fast, i hate straight pipes but that's me
Martin, with Raudel's setup can you hear the turbo whistle?

Old 06-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
I was fortunate to have Stef & Herman at Europipe make me a custom "Bazooka". Steff prefers to call it a "Prototype"

The exhaust has the newest 100 cell racing cats. 70mm & 76mm tips. Light weight internals. Airflow, measured on a SuperflowSF-600 @ 20" H2O = 588 cfm. New "Prototype" backpressure on a stock 996TT at 6500 RPM = 0.080 bar. Backpressure with stock exhaust = 0.36 bar.

Whats it sound like and how does it look on the car?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Martin, with Raudel's setup can you hear the turbo whistle?
With most of the exhaust setups in "loud" form you can, but a different kind of whistle, not straight pipe (turbodiesel truck) like whistle

He has hybrid turbo's as well as my car with low clearance, making the exhaust note alot more NA sounding then the normal "afterburner" wastegate type sound from most turbos! You still have the 700 kit? It will be hard to say, Raudel's car sounds like a BEAST, i didnt hear much turbo noise just sweet music!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
With most of the exhaust setups in "loud" form you can, but a different kind of whistle, not straight pipe (turbodiesel truck) like whistle

He has hybrid turbo's as well as my car with low clearance, making the exhaust note alot more NA sounding then the normal "afterburner" wastegate type sound from most turbos! You still have the 700 kit? It will be hard to say, Raudel's car sounds like a BEAST, i didnt hear much turbo noise just sweet music!
Thanks I wish I could hear it in person and then decide

Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks I wish I could hear it in person and then decide
Something you definitely have to hear in person, well that's with really any exhaust for a Porsche in order to appreciate their differences and sounds! Goodluck

Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, he's clearly off. Even looking at the pictures tells you that.

Here's the info:

MAGNAFLOW PERFORMANCE EXHAUST METALLIC-CAT
59920 Series – ULTRA High-Flow Performance Catalyst (Center / Center)
Highest flowing catalyst available. 59929 was tested (1000 cfm range @ 28" of H2O) to flow ~600 CFM. The one piece spun body long neck design and 200 cell density metal composite core make for the best flowing catalyst while providing compact packaging and extreme durability.

59950 Series – Compact High-Flow Performance Catalyst (Center / Center)
High flowing compact packaging catalyst. 59959 was tested (1000 cfm range @ 28" of H2O) to flow ~570 CFM. The one piece spun body short neck design and 200 cell density metal composite core make for excellet flow and extreme durability. The compact series uses all the same features as the ultra high-flow but provides for SMALLEST packaging avialable in high performance cats.
I'm always amazed by how much disinformation there is on the web. If found these same paragraphs that Sallymobile posted, well, almost the same, on another site:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/lo...t20662-50.html (scroll down to the 4th post)

Here's the relevant snippet from that page:

"MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust METALLIC-CAT catalytic converters.

Ok here's the scoop. We have just wrapped up categorization and part numbering for both emissions compliant and race part offerings.

59920 Series – ULTRA High-Flow Performance Catalyst (Center / Center)
Highest flowing catalyst available. 59929 was tested (1000 cfm range @ 28" of H2O) to flow ~600 CFM. The one piece spun body long neck design and 400 cell density metal composite core make for the best flowing catalyst while providing compact packaging and extreme durability.

59950 Series – Compact High-Flow Performance Catalyst (Center / Center)
High flowing compact packaging catalyst. 59959 was tested (1000 cfm range @ 28" of H2O) to flow ~570 CFM. The one piece spun body short neck design and 400 cell density metal composite core make for excellet flow and extreme durability. The compact series uses all the same features as the ultra high-flow but provides for SMALLEST packaging avialable in high performance cats."

Note that the data Sallymobile found claims these cats are 200 cells per square inch, but the claim on the site I found this morning is 400 cells per square inch. Add to that the fact that the phone tech told me they are 300 cells per square inch.

Note further that both of these quotes (that sure sound like they came straight from the manufacturer) contain the same typo in the last sentence (avialable).

Sallymobile, please don't take this as a slam at you, I think you were just posting what you found.

The engine builder (and friend) who did my supercharged Camaro engine has a Superflow flow bench, I'm seriously tempted to buy a few different cats and have him flow them at the same pressure setting.

Jeff

Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Curiouser and curiouser.

Sallymobile, I thought the magnaflow cat data quote you posted earlier in this thread was taken from LS1tech.com, so I just searched there and found a post from oxidizr, who apparently works for magnaflow/carsound. Here's the thread:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491141 Note that this thread also lists the 59920 and 59959 series as 400 cells per square inch

Do you recall where you grabbed the post listing 200 cells per square inch?

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust info request....