996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shouldn't have Traded my Turbo S for Ford GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
A 996tt weighs almost 3500lbs!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:12 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911mike
I thought the Ford GT was already supercharged in stock form? Problem is the GT weighs close to 2 tons if I recall. That is why it feels slow. Go get the Porsche back from the dealer, you won't regret it.
It is but you can change the supercharger to a whipple or kenne bell for more power.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Bill Oxley is infamous around these parts

I have both. Consistent to what already been posted, at first, the GT didn't "feel" faster than the TT, but from most of the things I've read, stock to stock, the GT is faster.

The TT’s power comes on in such a rush, I think that is possibly why it seems as fast or faster. The GT’s power is there at all RPM's and is truly very fast. It's a very smooth fast, and that may be the "illusion".

I bought the 2.8 pulley, and SCT tuner/programmer with 3 programs for the GT for $714 delivered. I like to work on cars, so did the work myself, took about 5 hours total working time, taking the SC off, etc. I took the SC snout over to the local trany shop, and they pressed the stock pulley off, and the 2.8 on for 30 bucks.

Tune 1 is an upgrade to stock computer program, which is considered quite conservative to most GT types. According to the programmer, that alone adds about 60 rwhp. The second program is changed to accommodate the 2.8 pulley and pump gas. The third program is for the same setup, but with 100 race fuel.

Each program takes about minutes or less to flash! OBD II.

I can tell you for sure, there's nothing slow feeling about it now! I’ve not had mine dyno’ed, but others with the same set up are reporting about 650 rwhp, and as mentioned before, the whipple will bring it in with about another 100, but way more money.

All that being said, I like the TT equally as well. There're both great cars!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
Check out the new Gallardo Superleggera, 2998 lb w/530hp @8000rpm.
Road & Track June 07' pg 48. $220,300 making only 350 for 07'
Only thing is they are all spoken for.

As far as the Ford GT, I like it! I wished the interior were nicer and
the exterior fit & finish were better. For $160K+ they could have
paid closer attention to the details.
The Porsche satisfies the ****/retentive side of me.
I was very interested in the Superleggera and my friend at Mark invited me in a few weeks ago to test drive one, thing is Lambo NA switched up their plans and all w got to drive were the 07 Gallardos, I was so mad I heard the steering weight and so on feels similar, slightly quicker and better throttle response. For anyone who wants a build spot I can get them on the list, they aren't all spoken for

Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
fivelitre is infamous around these parts
Why not treat it to some Roush type upgrades as listed here http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16214

C.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fivelitre
Why not treat it to some Roush type upgrades as listed here http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16214

C.
Roush works too closely with ford, so any mod they do will be on the conservative end of things.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
hard to believe u think the Ford GT is slow. I have a hella time keeping up with them in Socal....But it never rains here..so awd is no advantage.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:28 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
I'm lucky enough to enjoy them both. The FGT is an exellent supercar. No question. But I understand Seth, the rush of a modded TT is intoxicating. But if I had to make a choice, I'll keep the GT. As for mods in a GT, I don't think anyone will not want them.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ROCK
I'm lucky enough to enjoy them both. The FGT is an exellent supercar. No question. But I understand Seth, the rush of a modded TT is intoxicating. But if I had to make a choice, I'll keep the GT. As for mods in a GT, I don't think anyone will not want them.
I've been thinking about my "problem" (getting no sympathy from my friends, my wife says go buy something that will make me happy, hehehe).

I think I've determined my problem is that I'm a boost junky. I like the "million foot pounds of torque" that a modded turbo delivers in a surge of power, and the feeling of my guts getting pressed against my spine.

I just wish the Porsche sounded like the GT, had the clutch and tranny feel of the GT etc.

I also live in the rain, where it doesn't get "overly" warm (Washington State) so the AWD is a nice touch.

My wife thinks I should just go trade it accross for a 997 TT, or go get a bently coupe (they seem to depreciate quickly), or go get my old Turbo back and have the thow a Cuda or old Impalla in on the trade down.

If there was a CGT around here I would probably accidently buy it, but having one trucked in would seem overly pre-meditated and my wife would probably "not" like that.

Seth.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Seth, mod the GT with all of the mods from accufab and then reassess the desire for more power. And if you want the rush of power instead of it all at once, ease into the throttle.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:10 AM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Seth, what color is your GT ? Please send pictures of both cars (996 + GT) and let's see then what everybody here says. I bet $1.00 the poll goes easily towars the GT .

Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ROCK
Seth, what color is your GT ? Please send pictures of both cars (996 + GT) and let's see then what everybody here says. I bet $1.00 the poll goes easily towars the GT .
I traded it back and had a 67 427 Cobra (reproduction) tossed in for the difference. I'm so happy to have both. The cobra is great, excellent build quality and rolling with open headers is way to much fun!

Seth

Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
HAha welcome back!!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
The only Ford I've ever owned is my '30 Model A Hot Rod, but I'd easily add another if I could trade my GT2 for a Ford GT (and the color was right). Those cars are freakin' mean looking, and the fact that they are supercharged is just icing on the cake!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Marc997GT3
Therapy Thread! GOOD MOVE!
It was actually strange explaining to them that I preferred my Turbo! hehehe. oh well.

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shouldn't have Traded my Turbo S for Ford GT