996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shouldn't have Traded my Turbo S for Ford GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Shouldn't have Traded my Turbo S for Ford GT

I had a 2005 Turbo S.

I put the X73 suspension, had an EVO Stage IV, HRE 19" 545R's and a Turbo Aero kit. It was black on black and sexy.

I traded it in for an 05 Ford GT with 1600 miles (it now has 2200 miles hehehe).

I'm missing my Porsche badly. The GT sounds great (way better than my Porsche) and handle amazingly (I need warmer weather to confirm that I think it handles better). But I find it kinda "slow" compared to my Pcar.

Anyone else regret a trade in?

The dealer still has my Turbo, maybe I should go trade it back.

Seth

Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
I had a 2005 Turbo S.

I put the X73 suspension, had an EVO Stage IV, HRE 19" 545R's and a Turbo Aero kit. It was black on black and sexy.

I traded it in for an 05 Ford GT with 1600 miles (it now has 2200 miles hehehe).

I'm missing my Porsche badly. The GT sounds great (way better than my Porsche) and handle amazingly (I need warmer weather to confirm that I think it handles better). But I find it kinda "slow" compared to my Pcar.

Anyone else regret a trade in?

The dealer still has my Turbo, maybe I should go trade it back.

Seth
Go back and get the turbo and Kevin should have a stg4 8K+ rpm engine on the shlef for you by then....he he....

Old 05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Put an upgraded supercharger or twin turbo setup on your Ford GT and it won't feel slow!

Last edited by buddyg; 05-04-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
It's funny you say this, because I know guys that have made the switch and are far happier. Different strokes..

Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
It absolutely handles better than a 996TT w/ X73, I own both.

If it's too slow for you, a pulley + tune will only cost $2-3k and give you 100+ hp. For about the same price that Stage 4 cost you, you can go all out with a 3.3L Whipple, exhaust, TB, etc. and get crazy power:

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1224 (these are retail prices)

And then there's Heffner's twin turbo setup:

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/f...rbopackage.htm

Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Good luck with your decision, I would love to have both
(but cannot).

Marty K.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by F**K
It absolutely handles better than a 996TT w/ X73, I own both.

If it's too slow for you, a pulley + tune will only cost $2-3k and give you 100+ hp. For about the same price that Stage 4 cost you, you can go all out with a 3.3L Whipple, exhaust, TB, etc. and get crazy power:

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1224 (these are retail prices)

And then there's Heffner's twin turbo setup:

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/f...rbopackage.htm
It's been cold in Washington (and damp). I live on a really really twisty road (makes driving home nice, unless your behind a Land Rover or something like that), I've noted I can carry higher speeds through the corners with this beast. I guess I'm turned off a little (I don't know what happened to me, hell I've owned vettes (actually my wife has one right now) so I shouldn't car) is the panel fitment, and interior... I actually miss not having somewhere to stuff my phone or sun-glasses, or my wallet or a check book, etc. The panels are all rather fiber-glass looking (kinda like a C5, but not a C6 (they got those a little better)). I even miss not having enough trunk to stuff a gym bag into! hehehe.

Ok. I'm whining. I love the GT for everything it does (it sounds awesome, and runs like a raped ape wide open).

Still not sure I should have traded! hehehe.

BTW. About the mods... I'm concerned on dropping the value of this bad boy. It didn't bother me to do it to the Porsche though, go figure.

Seth

Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
sporters78 is infamous around these parts
send me pm , i think i would trade you

Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Check out www.forfgtforum.com Lots of modded GT's there. The pulley, tune and exhaust makes around 600 rwhp!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
Ford GT is slow?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
You are crazy just do a pulley and reflash for over 600rwhp! That will set you back like $1500! For $8500 you do a whipple charger and laydown 750ish RWHP! That would sure smoke all but a few HIGHLY modified porsches. Traction is a issue though unless you go with some really sticky tires. How I look at these things if you buy a True Super car like the Ford GT then what do you care if tires only last 1500-2000miles. I replace my BFG DR's on my cobra every 800-1100 miles. With out the tires the car is not much fun to drive though. With them I can actually hookup at 80mph My next car will be a Ford GT. No question about it.

I do understand your concern about modding a supercar and hurting the value though. I honestly can't see it hurting that much! I see salvaged cars selling for $125-130k. So why would a chip and pulley make your car that much less. I would not do the turbos though. I would think god this guy beat the hell out of this car. Super charger is on the edge of too much. It does run cooler I think it makes 60hp more at stock boost just because it is not pushing so much heat! Do the exhaust, chip and pulley. Then see how much you miss your Pcar. Besides the name plate failed to see how.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Interesting that you like the turbo more, well I could see even from my testdrives of other supercars I often miss or can't compare my gt2 to them performance wise, but n awd turbo I don't think I could.. You need a modded GT2

Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
I've driven a gt and it seems to big/large. I didn't like it.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
To bad a CGT costs so much. I have trouble paying 370+ for a car (although I want to). I figured the Ford GT would be about as bad-*** as they come. My wife says it's because I miss the "luxury" features of the Porsche (and she has accused me of not being a real car enthusiast now, hehehe).

I might trade it for something completely different! Anybody have an opinion of how fast/good an LP640 feels compared to a 996 Turbo with X73 and mods, or a stock Ford GT?

Seth

Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Seth I have not been in or driven the LP640 yet but I will soon. BUT just from all of my Gallardo testdrives I don't think I would want one for myself. The gallardo feels HEAVYY, Murci even more so.. The power of the LP I heard is veryyy impressive, but its the overall girth and weight of the car through the steering wheel that bothers me in the Lambos!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shouldn't have Traded my Turbo S for Ford GT