996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Installed B&M Short Throw Shifter and EVO Linkage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
Installed B&M Short Throw Shifter and EVO Linkage

Well... after having the B&M Short shifter kit sitting on my den floor for two weeks, I finally got my butt in gear and went out to the garage and installed the shifter.

First thing I have to say is that the install instructions are some of the better instructions I've ever seen... I have the factory manuals, but I didn't have to break them out once... the install instructions were flawless (but this may have been because I've taken the rear center console out so I knew how it was done).

It took right at 2 hours start to finish and there wasn't a single area which was difficult... just follow the steps and things will go together very easily. The one thing I did differently from B&M's instructions is that I used a pair of wire cutters to clip the tabs off of the factory plastic bushings and B&M recommended using a utility knife... if you are thinking about doing this mod... use the wire cutters and you'll save yourself some frustration.

I didn't have any problems with the shifter cables (I've seen some mention of marking them prior to doing this install... probably a good idea; but I didn't do it and I didn't have any problems).

Now for the fun part... that piece of crap flexible factory shifter is HISTORY and I absolutely LOVE the B&M shifter and Evolution Motorsports replacement linkage. I can't believe the difference in feel... you could feel the factory shifter flex when you shifted and with the B&M shifter and linkage... everything is ROCK SOLID... nice short throws and firm shifts... the car shifts like a sports car and not a family sedan anymore.

To say I'm happy is an understatement... this is likely the best $350 or so modification anyone can make... simple to install, and it makes the 996 shift like a sports car should.

Thanks to Todd at Evolution Motorsports for giving me Christmas pricing on the shift kit and linkage.

If you are thinking about making this modification... I'd recommend you do it.... I think this modification moves right to the top of the "Most bang for the buck" category out of all the modifications I have done to my 996 Turbo.

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Old 03-28-2004, 02:39 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
I just installed both pieces myself, and second just about everything you said. Getting out the stock bushings was the toughest part for me, and it wasn't really that tough. Utility knife is useless as you said. I hard a slightly difficult time cutting the tabs with wire cutters, so for me it was a combination of cutting off little pieces, prying it with a screwdriver, twisting with needle nose pliars, etc. LOL but finally I got those %$@#$@! things out. Maybe I'm just a retard but getting out those stock bushings ended up taking me almost as long as everything else combined.

Old 03-28-2004, 03:36 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Where's the best place to get the B&M shifter?

Also...is there any advantage of going with the B&M that attaches via the tranny vs. the standard B&M?

My only concern is that somtimes it's a major PITA to put the car into 1st once i've come to a complete stop (Traffic light, etc.), however, shifting to 2nd and then to 1st gear will usually solve the trick (thanks to Jack).

With that in mind, would either kit be better suited for reducing this annoying problem?

Old 03-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
I haven't installed the tranny version, but I can't imagine that it could be any easier to install than the in-cab shifter. I'd stick with the standard B&M and replace the crappy factory plastic shift linkage with Evolution Motorsport's metal version (you'll feel a big difference in the performance).

As far as the car being a pain in the butt to get into first gear; a short shifter will just make it that much harder (40% or whatever the mechanical advantage decrease is) than the stock shifter. Unless the problem getting into first gear is in the shifter itself (which I doubt), things will probably only be more difficult with a short shifter.

If you decide to purchase one... I'd recommend Todd at Evolution Motorsports... they sell the linkage and the B&M shifter AND they are a board sponsor (with the added benefit that Todd's customer service is second-to-none).

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Originally posted by BCS996TT
Where's the best place to get the B&M shifter?

Also...is there any advantage of going with the B&M that attaches via the tranny vs. the standard B&M?

My only concern is that somtimes it's a major PITA to put the car into 1st once i've come to a complete stop (Traffic light, etc.), however, shifting to 2nd and then to 1st gear will usually solve the trick (thanks to Jack).

With that in mind, would either kit be better suited for reducing this annoying problem?

Old 03-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Joe West
As far as the car being a pain in the butt to get into first gear; a short shifter will just make it that much harder (40% or whatever the mechanical advantage decrease is) than the stock shifter. Unless the problem getting into first gear is in the shifter itself (which I doubt), things will probably only be more difficult with a short shifter.
That's what I thought...thus my only reason for not getting the SS kit. Still pondering whether or not to get it.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
I got the shiftlink from Todd and the SSK from Brandywine. They work great! The quickest way I found to remove the plastic tabs from the stock bushings is to use a small wood chisel and hammer. One sharp tap and the tab pops right off. Be sure and wear safety glasses as the tabs go flying.
-Glen

Old 03-28-2004, 05:10 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Joe West
I haven't installed the tranny version, but I can't imagine that it could be any easier to install than the in-cab shifter.
Kind Regards,

Joe West
Tranny one : pop both cables off , remove old bracket ( 2 bolts ) , install replacement bracket , install the B&M aluminum piece on the tranny's shifter arm with four allen bolts , pop the cables back on. Done. I could probably do one in less than 5 MINUTES under a full car lift. Takes 15 minutes laying on my back , though.

Leaves NO tell tale (unlike the in car unit unless you buy an all new tower) if you remove it .

Last edited by MKW; 03-28-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:28 PM
The "problem" with the undercar unit is that with it you retain the buttery smooth and "loose" feeling of the stock unit. On the other hand the in car unit yields a totally different sports car feel which is 10 times better *in my opinion*.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by limitup
The "problem" with the undercar unit is that with it you retain the buttery smooth and "loose" feeling of the stock unit. *.

Interesting...this might be somewhat of a better option for my quirky shifter/tranny (who knows)...if I must insist on having a SS kit.

Btw...is there anyone else with issues shifting into first from a dead stop...id say this happens about 40% of the time when im at a complete stop. If I downshift to 1st right before stopping, it's never a problem. I've heard this is common for our cars?

Old 03-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by limitup
The "problem" with the undercar unit is that with it you retain the buttery smooth and "loose" feeling of the stock unit. On the other hand the in car unit yields a totally different sports car feel which is 10 times better *in my opinion*.
I just got the under car unit from Brandywine and am having it installed this week. I got it (based on comments from MKW and others) because I want shorter shift throws, but don't want increased shifting effort or notchiness. I'll provide my observations after it's installed.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
All I can say is that if you are concerned with the "notchy" feeling, I highly recommend you try to drive a drive with the in car B&M before deciding. I'm not sure if "notchy" is the right word, but in my opinion it is a good thing. The shifts are just so precise and you always know what gear you're in, and in my opinion you can drive agressively with more confidence that you're not going to downshift from 5th to 2nd, etc.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:54 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Let me clarify a point that some see as a negative on the B&M under car unit. Shift weight is the same as stock- smooth and light so it's very fast esp on downshifts since there is no friction/notchy feeling , whatever you want to call it and you don't " search " for a split second to be sure you didn't cross back two gates since side movement is unchanged. The throws are reduced 34% - same or more than on B&M's in car unit. Also , the OEM slop is gone and you can feel the 2 synchros engage as you slot into each gear if you are sensitive enough.
B&M must wonder if having two 996 products hurts their sales as some can't decide !

Old 03-28-2004, 11:45 PM
We could probably go back and forth on this forever but I must say that in my opinion whatever "notchiness" the in car B&M has, it absolutely does NOT slow down shifts.

The new lever itself doesn't allow you to shifter faster, however the driver may find themselves being able to shift "faster" because they are no longer worrying about mis-shifting.

It's all very subjective, I recommend a person drive both before deciding.

Old 03-29-2004, 07:57 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Joe, so you ordered 2 different parts? Is there a noticeable difference if you don't get the linkage? Or is that just to replace the weaker stock unit?

also, does anyone have any pics of the install?

Old 03-29-2004, 09:32 AM
sporters78 is infamous around these parts
i have the b&m shift unit aready in how hard is it to add the evo shifter linkage?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed B&M Short Throw Shifter and EVO Linkage