996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Very dangerous brake problem at the Nürburgring with 2 996 Turbos

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Speedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Now, I want to try the pre-charge disconnect job, to find out what it does exactly. Did anyone else try this? Does the core PSM function still engage, or try to engage?
Or does the disconnect give PSM error code/shutdown right away, or on the first time PSM is trying to work? I guess I am trying to find out that if ABS is working with this pre-charge pump disconnect trick, will that only shut off PSM, or also shut off what I call "core PSM"?
When you disconnect the pre-charge pump it shutsdown the PSM right away and you will get the message PSM failiure, ABS will be fully functional when you do this.
You will have no interference at all from the PSM.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:48 PM
hanst is infamous around these parts
I'm trying to figure out what causes this problem and I have a few questions.
  • What tire size did you use when this happen
  • Whats the lock rate of your LSD?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Anyone ever had this problem while using upgraded GT3 calipers and discs on their turbo?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:12 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Speedfreak
When you disconnect the pre-charge pump it shutsdown the PSM right away and you will get the message PSM failiure, ABS will be fully functional when you do this.
Kanon, tack för tipset!
(Great, thanks for the hint!)

Old 02-28-2010, 01:30 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hanst
If this question was for me, from my side it was pretty clear that when I have pretty much rear-end steer around hairpins, or at switchbacks from one side to another that gives the car a bit of transition/corner entry oversteer and me sometimes having to catch that with a bit countersteer, "core PSM" would interfere. I ran GT2 wheels with only difference 245/40 front tires instead of OEM 235 (so slightly larger diam). The diff lock is 50% on decel.

I did not feel it was unexpected at any time from PSM, or wrong either from PSM, it would be necessary to save the driver from a classic 911 spin out if this action was not fully intentional.

If now, as fellow Swede Speedfreak posted, the complete PSM function, incl PSM core function, is gone with the pre-charge pump disconnected then my problems are solved.

But I tested the car with 1 PSM fuse pulled out, that kept the ABS working and put the PSM failure light on, and it took three tailhappy turns to have core PSM go off again. I will check with a meter if this was the pre-charge pump fuse (it only says PSM in the fuse plan).

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Im, sure if the fuse is pulled that it disables both PSM & ABS... I haven't tried SpeadFreaks method as yet (was going to soon, just to see what happens) but I have not encountered these braking issues... I wonder if this has anything to do when brake fluid is boiled within one caliper!!!... lets face it the stock cooling isn't great under there and I run separate cooling hoses along with the Cup ducts, it does make a difference.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 PM
hanst is infamous around these parts
MrWhite, thanks for your input.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Overall, this is a very RARE problem and I think smoother braking solves and helps but still this kind of thing should not exist. I am happy now as the improved yaw rate sensor (with all kinds of other tricks I tried along the way...) helped me. However, it is "good" that after some years some other members have commented about similar problems, as I was alone hitting my head against the wall quite a bit.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Personally I'd try a safe track and take out the ABS PSM fuse and see if the problem occurs again. If not, then you have narrowed it down to the PSM and ABS systems at fault. If so, then you know it's one or the other. Then try Speed's recommendation and disable the PSM completely. And so on.
Back in the days I tried without ABS/PSM and the problem still existed.

Speed's recommendation of completely disabling the PSM is very good.

Just for all the members to know, now when you press PSM off it is off BUT it comes on if your tires are sliding over 7% and you are on the brake pedal (quite good feature for amateur drivers; PSM helps when you are in problems and you try to slow down the car, however, this brings additional problems with trail braking etc. and I believe this is the reason why a lot of 997 guys have had problems with rear pads and disks. Heck, even for me rear disks last only a season )

Getting back on this thread, I had this lockup happen two days ago. It came gradually though, the fluid got overheated, the PSM/pump went frenzy and partially started to brake and within the next 1-2 seconds the brakes locked. Relatively slow place of track though and with a big banked turn so stayed on surface.

The problem for me seemed to be that with my car that has a little more "roatation" (oversteer) than the core PSM-function accepts (core PSM-function meaning even when the PSM is switched OFF), PSM was jabbing the brakes constantly and overheated the fluid in the brake system and somehow the whole brake unit went stiff pedal, pedal stayed in, and brakes would just lock. It took some cooling time and two restarts of the car before the unit would release the pedal again.

I removed the fuses from the entire PSM and ABS system and ran without and it worked fine, just had no ABS function anymore. It works but overall brake capacity sucks since basic bias is very much towards the front. My PBox shows I could brake 0.6G at best before locking up. At Cali Speedway in November I could brake at nearly 1.3G with electronic brake bias active (= ABS unit connected). At Cali speedway I did not have this problem, longer straights, less transitions to set off PSM.

Now, I want to try the pre-charge disconnect job, to find out what it does exactly. Did anyone else try this? Does the core PSM function still engage, or try to engage?
Or does the disconnect give PSM error code/shutdown right away, or on the first time PSM is trying to work? I guess I am trying to find out that if ABS is working with this pre-charge pump disconnect trick, will that only shut off PSM, or also shut off what I call "core PSM"?

2nd I want to know more about is the yawrate-sensor - is it just an improved sensor allowing wider "slides", which will still engage PSM if my slip angle is too large? (I suspect it will). Any part number for this?

It'd be nice for everyone to have this "myserious" brake issues fully sorted.
Good stuff again MrWhite, you remind me a lot of my favorite professional racing driver who is friendly and co-operative yet very knowledgeable.

When I talked on the previous message about Turbo's ABS not being suitable I did mean ABS including the PSM. So you are right with these comments again. The car I drive is one of the first Turbos ever rolled out from the factory (car was already on the streets of Finland in the beginning of June 2000). After that (do not know the date of change) Porsche changed the yaw-rate sensor which is a critical part in the system.

The part number for new "rate of turn sensor" is 996.606.145.00 and it can be only combined with the newer hydraulic unit 996.355.955.58 (there has been two previous units with same part number ending .51 and .57. The previous rate of turn sensor was 996.606.147.00 and they look different.

PM me if further instructions are needed as I have some handy files available.

Originally Posted by hanst
I know this question is not pointed to me, but I want to emphasize I had this problem with stock sized tires and also with tires with a minor yet accepted difference (such as 235/295), LSD lockup 45%.

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
I wonder if this has anything to do when brake fluid is boiled within one caliper!!!... lets face it the stock cooling isn't great under there and I run separate cooling hoses along with the Cup ducts, it does make a difference.
Cooling is very important in all brake related issues. I am very sure proper cooling helps even in this problem. However, I tried both Motul and Castrol racing fluid along with Cup ducts and still had the problem. Perhaps that was not enough but I think it should be.

Last edited by Kaizu; 03-01-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Speedfreak

Just another note on this, I can definitely 100% for sure confirm that dis-connecting the pre-charge pump kills the PSM completely, however still leaves a fully functional ABS system to drive with.

Also, when plugging the connector back in, there are no active failure codes in the car and the PSM and ABS warning lights are off (and the system is back on) - could be good to know for those who don't have a code reset tool.

Additionally, driving a full two days with the pre-charge pump disconnected, on 265 fronts and 315 rears, hot day as well, I had absolutely zero braking problems this time. The car could also slip and slide in any way I wanted to with no interference from any type of "core" PSM.

Thx Speedfreak again for the input.

ANOTHER NOTE: This above, does not suggest the final solution of the OP issue reg a brake problem on Nurburgring.

Last edited by MrWhite; 04-03-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by landjet
Anyone ever had this problem while using upgraded GT3 calipers and discs on their turbo?
I feel that the ABS locks the brake too much at low speeds in contrast with the OEM front brakes, it looks like the ABS need to be updated...if some one have some imput I will appreciated!

...but at high speeds the GT3 calipers work fantanstic compared with OEM and ABS locks as OEM.

I am thinking to upgrade the rear ones.....has someone some info abbout? ..is it worth?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Just another note on this, I can definitely 100% for sure confirm that dis-connecting the pre-charge pump kills the PSM completely, however still leaves a fully functional ABS system to drive with.

Also, when plugging the connector back in, there are no active failure codes in the car and the PSM and ABS warning lights are off (and the system is back on) - could be good to know for those who don't have a code reset tool.

Additionally, driving a full two days with the pre-charge pump disconnected, on 265 fronts and 315 rears, hot day as well, I had absolutely zero braking problems this time. The car could also slip and slide in any way I wanted to with no interference from any type of "core" PSM.

Thx Speedfreak again for the input.

ANOTHER NOTE: This above, does not suggest the final solution of the OP issue reg a brake problem on Nurburgring.
Thanks for the info! Great stuff.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor
TitanMotorsport is infamous around these parts
Great info for those who are heavily tracking their Turbo. I experienced this PSM issue on our shop car at Roebling Road last weekend. 2001 Turbo, around 550hp, rwd. PSM was "off" the entire time, but would come on abruptly mid corner with trail braking or light brake application.

I pulled the PSM relay as pictured in Speedfreak's post on page 3 and I'm pretty confident that this is the fix based on what I'm reading here and elsewhere.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
I get the brake fluid level light on track, unless the fluid level is precisely at the tip of the arrow marked MAX. It seems that even a mm over or under eventually lights it up. It also occasionally triggers the red WARNING about brake system failure. Students riding in the car sometimes get a little edgy when they see it, and I just flip the lever off and keep going.

I once had a lockup under heavy braking at Turn 14 at Road America, but that was because I had hosed up the alignment and the steering angle sensor was off, so the PSM turned itself off.

The fact that you get yours under light braking does suggest a stuck piston somewhere.

Jon
This is very interesting. I have never had a problem with this mystery brake fluid level warning and the red brake failure light on the dash showing up on the street or at the track. I have always kept my fluid precisely at the Max arrow. Before the last track event, however, I did a brake fluid flush but this time slightly overfilled the reservoir to about 1/2" above the Max line. I figured, I little extra can't hurt, right? On the third session when exiting a hard right hand turn, I received the brake fluid level warning notice in the display along with the small red circular brake warning light in the dash. I could erase the notice with the stalk but the red light stayed. When I checked the fluid in the pits it was full. Once the car was shut off and restarted, the both the message and light went away and did not return during the following session. I wonder if actually having too much fluid in the reservoir may have been the culprit. Had to believe though. Does anyone have any more insight to this? Is there some king of a float type level sensor in the reservoir that can go bad?

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-14-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:22 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Finally pulled the plug (literally)! Since I had my last alignment done with a little more aggressive settings, my PSM sometimes kicked in when taking sharp turns with higher then average speed. I tried switching off the PSM but it still came in once awhile. I finally pulled the plug as stated on page 3 (picture). You do get the PSM OFF warning light + the dashboard warning (which can be turnned off). So far, the car is driving fine.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How do you turn off the dashboard warning, I've just been driving with it on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Very dangerous brake problem at the Nürburgring with 2 996 Turbos