996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interior trim removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:51 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Interior trim removal

does anyone know if its possible to remove the dashboard lining piece - like that goes up next to the windshield and has the defroster vents in it (pic from carnewal below) - without taking out the dash?
TIA

Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Yep...I did it and it was more trial and error for me. You need to remove the front A pillar covers, then remove the alarm red light cover. After you get them out, the pieces just pop out...you need to pry them up and make sure you do not scratch the dash. As for the alarm cover, be careful when prying it up...I broke the small plastic tabs that hold it in place and had to buy a new one. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by M3CAB
Yep...I did it and it was more trial and error for me. You need to remove the front A pillar covers, then remove the alarm red light cover. After you get them out, the pieces just pop out...you need to pry them up and make sure you do not scratch the dash. As for the alarm cover, be careful when prying it up...I broke the small plastic tabs that hold it in place and had to buy a new one. Hope this helps.
Nice, that makes sense. did you have to remove the side vents? (my rosette that covers the alarm/nav thing already has the tabs broken, so no juge deal there).
Advice on removing the a-pillars? is there a writeup somewhere?

Old 05-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Mark 986s is infamous around these parts
Yes, You have to remove the side vents. renntech.org has instructions that will help.

Mark

Old 05-06-2007, 04:22 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Like this for the drivers side...this is the hard one, the passenger side is easy:

Should look good!

Old 05-06-2007, 04:30 PM
thanks Wross...I've got the vent removal covered, and the Apillar just pulls away is that correct?

Also based on the "should look good" on your post, i think you know what i am thinking - cause replacing that cancan red interior is going to be expensive and take forever to get Porsche Exclusive to do it. I also had a local shop try (unfortunately costing me quite a bit in the process) to remake the insert pieces, but the weave isnt the same and they cant replicate the factory thick plastic glaze on there...so I am going to have to go a different route.
So what do you think about just having that front defroster surround be black leather with CF inlay and the rest of the dash be the red? I am thinking it would look pretty cool seeing as the headliner is black leather, the sunvisors are red and with all the CF I sorta already have the black and red theme going. But curious as to opinions...

thinking it would be even cooler if i could find a shop to replace the stitching in the factory black one with red stitching to match the red in the rest of the car.

...or am i better off not messing with it and just waiting for the Exclusive shop to make me a new piece?