996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bizarre clicking sound at low speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Bizarre clicking sound at low speed

I was driving with the windows down earlier and noticed something strange: whenever I'd stab the throttle at low speed (10-15mph) I'd hear a metallic "click" sound. And when I'd lift abruptly, I'd hear a "clack."

If I punch it and then lift, it sounds like someone flipping a metal toggle switch on and off. I got new rear tires mounted today, maybe the shop screwed something up? Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:44 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Maybe a rock in the tire tread? I know that is a long shot.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I have this problem and 2 dealers and a tuner shop have not been able to locate this sound. They checked suspension, rear brakes, tried factory wheels, sway bar links etc and still makes that "click, click" noise. One click on acceleration and one when you let off the gas. It happens in forward and reverse. It isn't a rotational noise but rather an up and down noise. You definately hear it in a parking garage. It kind of sounds like a torque wrench clicking. If you find out what it is, let me know.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I think I had the noise you are referring too, and my shop check the rear brake assembly and took the caliper off, cleaned some stuff up and noise went away. Or broken droplinks??

Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
I don't think its a rock in a tire or the droplinks (I have a bumpy, bumpy driveway, if there was anything loose or broken in the suspension it'd make some serious noise driving over that). I think you're onto something with the rear brakes, I'm willing to bet that's the culprit, thanks!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Wheel bolts tight? Personal exp. tells me u need to check them

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
muffler bearings

Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
back lash.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by F**K
I don't think its a rock in a tire or the droplinks (I have a bumpy, bumpy driveway, if there was anything loose or broken in the suspension it'd make some serious noise driving over that). I think you're onto something with the rear brakes, I'm willing to bet that's the culprit, thanks!
See where the noise is coming from, it almost sounds like something hits or touches at one full rotation of the wheel when driving.. It sounded like it were coming from the rear and when they removed it and put it back on it went away, weird! GL

Old 05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
My dealers thought it was the brakes also, They told me to pull the ebrake slightly and try to make the sound and it did. They checked the rear brake assembly and even threw on factory wheels and new lug bolts but still made the sound.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 PM
mambodave is infamous around these parts
time to ressurrect this thread

anyone know what this is? I have it also now.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I think it is possibly back lash as Oak suggests. I believe all the 996tt's have a small amount of back lash inherent in the design. My car has had a slight amount of back lash since it was new and I have heard this sound a little, all along. In the last year or so, it has become more pronounced and I am trying to figure out what parts would be worn to contribute to the additional back lash.

The three suggestions I have received from people that work on these cars and have cured similar clacking sounds are:

1) worn motor mounts
2) worn transmission mounts
3) worn ring and pinion

I have newer X73 motor mounts, so either they failed early or it's not motor mounts in my case. I am also told worn trans mounts will cause this and that it is almost impossible to tell by hand or visual inspection - you just have to replace them and hope that's it. I am told this has cured it before. The third and worse case scenario is a worn ring and pinion...

Any other ideas or experience with this would be appreciated, as I plan to investigate and try to repair and tighten it back up this winter. I have the same issue as others describe: low speed, throttle input creates a click when the drivetrain slack is taken up from an "unloaded" state. If the drivetrain is "loaded" or in use, I don't hear anything - even at low speeds. The car has to kind of coast ahead of the transmission speed and create the void that is taken up upon throttle again.

Last edited by John D; 09-27-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:23 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
Could it be from the suspension? do you have H & R coilovers

Old 09-29-2007, 05:38 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I have PSS-9's. Anything is possible, but it sounds like it's eminating from the driveshaft. I spoke to my tech today who has done most of my work for many years. He checked my transmission this past winter when everything was out of the car and says the backlash which is set with spacers in the transmision felt normal and right on - he does not think it is ring and pinion. The motor mounts are new. He thinks it is the dual mass flywheel coupled with the increased torque of the modded car, as the DMF has a certain amount of play inherent in the design. I think it is something like 10-20 degrees when cold and explained when warm it can go to 30 degrees of movement. My backlash is not there or not bad when the car is first driven or cold. It seems to become more predominant when things are warmed up. This makes me think he may be on to something. He said if I were to go to a LWF (which I do not want to), he bets it would disappear, but the bucket of bolts sound would take it's place...We are going to take a look at it soon - he feels he can isolate it with a little time on a lift.

Last edited by John D; 09-29-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I have it too all the time. Drivers side rear - I know it's coming from there. Nothing's obviously broken, and the car still drives fine. There are so many damn noises coming from the car now that I just try to ignore it. Lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bizarre clicking sound at low speed