996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Keeping yourself in check, how do you do it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Keeping yourself in check, how do you do it?

This car handles so great my confidence is ultra high, we all know this can be a recipe for disaster, I feel that the car can handle almost anything, how do you keep yourself in check? I have to constantly remind myself to chill and not push the car so much.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
how do you keep yourself in check?
I remind myself how bad prison would be.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
ha ha good one.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Go hard on the track / autocross. It's will lessen the desire to hammer it on the street (a little).

Old 03-29-2004, 10:30 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Yeah, the thought of a felony definately keeps me in check...I guess if your wondering if your over the limit, you probably are...so take a step back and evaluate the risks of the situation and the possible consequences. Buzzing past cars on the highway in the passing lane above 100 mph, for example, is a recipe for disaster if someone doesn't see you coming up on them and they decide to change into your lane. If you cream them, you will go too jail and could be paying damages to that family for the rest of your life if there is serious injury or death. Going fast is best left to empty open roads with no innocent third parties around you...Just my two common cents...

Old 03-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
That's a big problem when your car is so far superior in accelleration, handling and braking than is needed for regular driving. If you can't make it onto a track, at least save your playing around until early morning or later at night when there's almost no traffic.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 AM
Mark M is infamous around these parts
CRUISE CONTROL

Old 03-30-2004, 04:26 AM
X1
prubin is infamous around these parts
Re: Keeping yourself in check, how do you do it?

Great question! When there's traffic around and I want to 'stay cool', I'll often turn on the 'MPG' in the display and challenge myself to get the maximum fuel efficiency. It seems silly, but it sometimes works!

Sincerely,
Paul

Originally posted by Rave TT
This car handles so great my confidence is ultra high, we all know this can be a recipe for disaster, I feel that the car can handle almost anything, how do you keep yourself in check? I have to constantly remind myself to chill and not push the car so much.

Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Seriously, like Zippy said, take it to the track. Once you do this, the street offers very little. The track is where it's at.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:06 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
Maturity. The same reason you don't cheat on your spouse, don't stay at home on a work day, and don't get the 23rd mod with the kid's college fund. It is about daily decisions to do the right thing when the opposite is fun and maybe not so bad. Without getting too sappy, my father-in-law taught me a very important lesson. He orphaned a neighbor by accident with his car following all the traffic laws. He thinks about that every time he puts on his seat belt. Are you prepared to live with those consequences if you are doing the wrong thing? It's like the guy in the A6E Intruder flying over Italian air space (too low and hot *******) and clips the cable on a ski resort gondola and several people died. It is just not worth it. It is not about the points or the fines or even jail time. It is about your excesses abusing others when something unexpected happens. Don't become your own Greek Tradgedy.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Happy Now?
Originally posted by Zippy
Go hard on the track / autocross. It's will lessen the desire to hammer it on the street (a little).
Good advice, will do.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by ColorChange
Seriously, like Zippy said, take it to the track. Once you do this, the street offers very little. The track is where it's at.
I agree 100% there, take it to the track!

Old 03-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
I track all the time. I don't think it makes it any easier to not hot-dog it. I pretty much never do if there's a hint of traffic, but I admit, I've gotten on it on isolated roads that I'm familiar with. It's a blast and I can't get to the track enough to quench my thirst for speed! hehe

Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Silver TT
Mark Singer is infamous around these parts
Driving any car requires a sense of responsibility...the TT,s require more since they are superior to the other road cars they create a false sense of security. The great power can get you in trouble that much quicker...you need to pick your spots and times when it is safe. I think that 90% of the time we need to drive extremely conservative and the other 10 % you need to know it is the right time and the right place to let it go within reason.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:10 AM
jmk
jmk is infamous around these parts
I was reminded again tonight on my way home about the importance of restraint. I was driving through an intersection just outside of Beverly Hills when I saw a mangled 360 Modena and a Jeep that had crashed. Didn't look like anyone was fatally injured but the Ferrari was toast.
I don't know who's fault it was but it was a horrible site.
It sent chills down my spine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping yourself in check, how do you do it?