996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tinting Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Tinting Tail Lights

Looking to tint the clear upper part of the tail lights.

Has anyone had a window tinting company do it?

I've seen the kits to do it but I'm not sure how well the DIY application will go.

TW

Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Check these guys out. They might be a little drive for you, but otherwise you can buy the pre-cut stuff and have a shop do it. One word of advise is do not use window tint.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nted+tailights

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I am having mine sprayed. Should have them back tomorrow, and I will post pics.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
emissary is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
I am having mine sprayed. Should have them back tomorrow, and I will post pics.
I'd definitely like to see how they come out...I'd love to do this to mine.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
I own one of the largest custom bodyshops in the country. We probably spray 5 sets a day for various projects. Film is ok, but properly sprayed tails look incredible.

Find a competent shop, spend a few bucks more and you will be happy with the results. They are done just like painting a car. the tails are removed, taped and scuffed than sprayed several coats of black paint depending on how dark you want to go. they are than clearcoated and baked. the end result is a painted surface as glossy and as durable as the rest of your car.

My 996tt will be done next week and I will post some pics

Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
In CA, I believe this look is "for offroad use only." This is the main reason I went with film. Easy to undo...

Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by zen garage
I own one of the largest custom bodyshops in the country. We probably spray 5 sets a day for various projects. Film is ok, but properly sprayed tails look incredible.

Find a competent shop, spend a few bucks more and you will be happy with the results. They are done just like painting a car. the tails are removed, taped and scuffed than sprayed several coats of black paint depending on how dark you want to go. they are than clearcoated and baked. the end result is a painted surface as glossy and as durable as the rest of your car.

My 996tt will be done next week and I will post some pics
Could the clear part of the tail lights be painted red to match the lower( red) part? a la Carrera GT?

tw

PS: Thanks for your knowledge

Old 05-12-2007, 05:31 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
I tried film and it just didn't work out...sending it back and try to get my paint guy to do it for me...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Could the clear part of the tail lights be painted red to match the lower( red) part? a la Carrera GT?

tw

PS: Thanks for your knowledge
we have done a few sets of headlights with a candy pearl that have looked great. we are going to try a red candy on my tails this week and see how it turns out. if they look good enough i would be more than happy to offer the same for other owners.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:27 PM
we have done a few sets of headlights with a candy pearl that have looked great. we are going to try a red candy on my tails this week and see how it turns out. if they look good enough i would be more than happy to offer the same for other owners.
can't wait to see them!! I've always liked the CGT tail lights. Always thought it would look good on a TT

tw

Old 05-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Zen garage can you do the third brake light?

Byron

Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Zen garage can you do the third brake light?

Byron
i am quite sure I can. what do you have in mind? I tried to post some pics of my work but apparently I dont have enough posts here to upload photos. if you look around I am sure you will find many people more than happy with me and my facility

Old 05-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
zen I have my tailights tinted (painted) already but bothered by my third light being clear. Help me out here.

Aloha

Byron

Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 PM
pull it out, send it to me and i will do it for free just so you can post some pics of my work.....

Old 05-13-2007, 10:40 AM
pull it out, send it to me and i will do it for free just so you can post some pics of my work.....
zen,

pm sent

tw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tinting Tail Lights