996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

5.46 second 60-130

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I know what you mean...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Comparing car's, let's forget about excuses and talk motors. The following is my own personal perspective.

VRAlexander started it utilizing turbo heads with big ports and valves. Stock 996tt cam. He also used 996 ecu. Advantage more cfm, more hp. Disadvantages, stock cam and lifters.

Markski built on VR's motor. He utilized GT3 heads, cam housings and cams. He also allowed the GT3 program to be transposed on 996tt ecu. Advantages ......... large valves and ports. The cams were designed for a NA motor and therfore did not lend to the strenghts of a turbo motor. Yet they were an improvement over VR's cams. Markski's motor is designed for high rpm's and therfore performs best in that area. That is why the GT35R's were utilized. GT30's run out of breath above 7800 rpm's. To bring up the lower area the motor needs "turbo" designed cams along with a little more displacement to help the GT35R's.

Divexxtreme's motor was next in line. He like VR utilized turbo heads with larger valves and ports. It abandoned the higher rpm's and concentrated in the mid to lower rpm range. This range is perfect for the GT30R's. Building on Markski's motor they utilized the GT3 software which allowed them to abandon the vario lift portion of the turbo cam. Todd had asked me to send him my cams to review and the next thing he did was reprofile the the upper lobes of the 996tt cam along with add GT3 cam pointers to the turbo cam. Genius on his part. A motor that has breathing, cams and turbo's that match. This motor isn't able to go with higher lift because of the cam housings, but it doesn't need it because of the turbo's. Even if he had the turbo's it doesn't have the larger displacement to make the larger turbo's really shine. Divexxtreme still has the same weak point as VR and that is the stock turbo lifters. VR hasn't had any problems but he hasn't had alot of time at 7800 rpm's. Based on information I have found, the stock turbo lifters aren't designed to operate above 7400 rpm's. If this motor has any weak point, I would believe that is it. All in all, it is another step foward in the progression process.

Last edited by cjv; 05-14-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Mark,

Thanks, my friend. But from what Todd tells me, my power comes on much differently than yours. So I think I'll give the 18" BFGs a shot first just to see how they do with my setup

If, after a few tries, I decide I simply can't hit 9's using them, I *may* then try the 17" MT's. But I'll have to see.

I'd really like to hit 9's in the same configuration that I drive on the street. At least that's my goal, so I want to do my best to achieve it before I consider trying anything else.

Thanks, bro.
Scott I think your choice of turbo is key as is your powerband. You've got the tools and the skills so I know if anyone can do it... you can.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Comparing car's, let's forget about excuses and talk motors. The following is my own personal perspective.

VRAlexander started it utilizing turbo heads with big ports and valves. Stock 996tt cam. He also used 996 ecu. Advantage more cfm, more hp. Disadvantages, stock cam and lifters.

Markski built on VR's motor. He utilized GT3 heads, cam housings and cams. He also allowed the GT3 program to be transposed on 996tt ecu. Advantages ......... large valves and ports. The cams were designed for a NA motor and therfore did not lend to the strenghts of a turbo motor. Yet they were an improvement over VR's cams. Markski's motor is designed for high rpm's and therfore performs best in that area. That is why the GT35R's were utilized. GT30's run out of breath above 7800 rpm's. To bring up the lower area the motor needs "turbo" designed cams along with a little more displacement to help the GT35R's.

Divexxtreme's motor was next in line. He like VR utilized turbo heads with larger valves and ports. It abandoned the higher rpm's and concentrated in the mid to lower rpm range. This range is perfect for the GT30R's. Building on Markski's motor they utilized the GT3 software which allowed them to abandon the vario lift portion of the turbo cam. Todd had asked me to send him my cams to review and the next thing he did was reprofile the the upper lobes of the 996tt cam along with add GT3 cam pointers to the turbo cam. Genius on his part. A motor that has breathing, cams and turbo's that match. This motor isn't able to go with higher lift because of the cam housings, but it doesn't need it because of the turbo's. Even if he had the turbo's it doesn't have the larger displacement to make the larger turbo's really shine. Divexxtreme still has the same weak point as VR and that is the stock turbo lifters. VR hasn't had any problems but he hasn't had alot of time at 7800 rpm's. Based on information I have found, the stock turbo lifters aren't designed to operate above 7400 rpm's. If this motor has any weak point, I would believe that is it. All in all, it is another step foward in the progression process.
Good post, Chad.

My best buddy, Peter (who's car is at Todd's place right now)....his car will utilize the strengths of all of the above:

-Stroked to 3.8 Liters
-Same McKenzie heads as VR
-Same cams and GT3 pointers as me
-Same springs as me
-Same GT3 code on the 996TT ECU as me and Mark
-GT35R's with lightweight compressors

I think his engine is going to be the most powerful and usable one out of the four of us. But he's keeping his car AWD and full weight, so I'm not sure how much faster it will be than Mark's and mine, if at all.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-14-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Scott I think your choice of turbo is key as is your powerband. You've got the tools and the skills so I know if anyone can do it... you can.
Thanks, Alex. I'll certainly give it my best effort.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 PM
panas001 is a jewel in the roughpanas001 is a jewel in the roughpanas001 is a jewel in the roughpanas001 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Good post, Chad.

My best buddy, Peter (who's car is at Todd's place right now)....his car will utilize the strengths of all of the above:

-Stroked to 3.8 Liters
-Same McKenzie heads as VR
-Same cams and GT3 pointers as me
-Same springs as me
-Same GT3 code on the 996TT ECU as me and Mark
-GT35R's with lightweight compressors

I think his engine is going to be the most powerful and usable one out of the four of us. But he's keeping his car AWD and full weight, so I'm not sure how much faster it will be than Mark's and mine, if at all.

Hey Scott...I guess this is my chance to formally introduce myself to the 6speed community. I think many questions will be answered simply on the fact that we live across the street from each other, and we will be able to do MANY side by side comparisons of the 2 setups and see the pros/cons of each....videotaped of coarse

--Peter.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:14 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by panas001
Hey Scott...I guess this is my chance to formally introduce myself to the 6speed community. I think many questions will be answered simply on the fact that we live across the street from each other, and we will be able to do MANY side by side comparisons of the 2 setups and see the pros/cons of each....videotaped of coarse

--Peter.
That will be a video worth waiting for.....

Old 05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !

--Peter.
peter did , u sell ur BHS m3 ?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 PM
panas001 is a jewel in the roughpanas001 is a jewel in the roughpanas001 is a jewel in the roughpanas001 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by unvmym3
peter did , u sell ur BHS m3 ?
I did...back in October...and I miss that 9k redline.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Chad,
Does anyone make lifters for the 996tt that would hold up at 7500 plus rpm? Scott, what rpm is your motor at when you shift at around 7200 or so in the next gear. In other words is the motor still on cam if you shift at 7000 or so when it hits the next gear and are the turbos still in their boost sweet spot after the shift? Sounds like one bad *** car and I applaud you for the jewels to throw this much cash at an already expensive car in the sole pursuit of NASTY speed! Enjoy and stay out of jail.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
"DIVEXXTREME IS MY MF'n HERO!! "....Scott, i just noticed that you added that in my sig...I love you bro!

Old 05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Welcome Scott's Neigbor!

Peter Welcome!!!

I wish great things for you in your Porsche and you have come to the right
place. I also pray that Todd/Cynthia do not dig too heavily into your car until they finish mine.

YOU will have a MONSTER and I wouldnt mind being the "slowest guy
on your block" (since I understand you know your way around fast M3's
and live next to Divexx...)

Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
"DIVEXXTREME IS MY MF'n HERO!! "....Scott, i just noticed that you added that in my sig...I love you bro!
LOL...I put that in your sig so long ago, I completely forgot about it.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by silver
Chad,
Does anyone make lifters for the 996tt that would hold up at 7500 plus rpm? Scott, what rpm is your motor at when you shift at around 7200 or so in the next gear. In other words is the motor still on cam if you shift at 7000 or so when it hits the next gear and are the turbos still in their boost sweet spot after the shift? Sounds like one bad *** car and I applaud you for the jewels to throw this much cash at an already expensive car in the sole pursuit of NASTY speed! Enjoy and stay out of jail.
Silver,

VRalex has been driving his car around at 7,800 rpm for 3 years now with no problems on stock lifters. I think mine will be fine as well.

IR to your next question, I'll have to let you know after I get a chance to drive the car. I still don't have her in my hands yet.

Thanks for the props, bro. They are much appreciated.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Peter Welcome!!!

I wish great things for you in your Porsche and you have come to the right
place. I also pray that Todd/Cynthia do not dig too heavily into your car until they finish mine.

YOU will have a MONSTER and I wouldnt mind being the "slowest guy
on your block" (since I understand you know your way around fast M3's
and live next to Divexx...)
Thanks...I'm patiently waiting in line after you...and i can't wait till she's done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5.46 second 60-130