996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

5.46 second 60-130

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Craig
Mark,

First and foremost, congratulations on running a 4.x 60-130 mph. That is quite an achievement and I commend you!!!

Second, my post was not directed at you, nor anyone else in particular. As you correctly observe, others are implementing equally drastic and artificial techniques to achieve certain performance goals in 996TTs. Its all part of the game.

Third, I have no problem with people trying to attain the best possible performance times, and taking extraordinary measures to achieve these results. Viper owners do it. So do owners of Corvettes, Cobras, Audis, BMWs, etc etc. That being said, one cannot compare a 60-130 mph time on a 3000 lb. 996TT with a 60-130 mph time on a 3700 lb. 996TT and draw any meaningful conclusions. Likewise, one cannot compare ¼ mile times and traps when one car is running slicks and skinnies, on custom 17 inch wheels, and the other car is running PS2s on 19s. These variations in the set-up can translate to HUGE differences in time . . . HUGE differences . . . and cars producing similar power will record vastly different performance times, depending on these factors. You have gone to great lengths to lighten your car. EVOMS has as well with its shop car. When taking the car to the track, you both are using special wheel/tire combinations that you do not (and cannot) use on the street. That’s great! However, you cannot compare the times you (or EVOMS) achieve with these artificial, track specific, 3000 lb. set-ups to times records by others running full weight cars (e.g., JoeTwinT, Jamie, and Scott).

I commended Scott because he achieved an extraordinary time in his full weight car, set-up exactly as he will drive it around town. In my book, that is very cool. If I ever get the opportunity to test my car, I will do so without changing anything . . . full weight, street tires, etc. Using this approach, I can be confident that whatever time I record can be replicated whenever and wherever I am driving my car. There is something about that that appeals to me. On the other hand, I appreciate people like yourself who are willing to take the next step and gut your car for purposes of achieving the best possible times. That is very cool as well, and I have repeatedly commended your outstanding performance times. It is simply a different approach . . . neither is better or worse . . . just different.

Craig
Craig, I have the utmost respect for you and have always found your comments to be a class act.

having said that I disagree with the thrust of your post. Of course weight reduction ,special wheels/tyres and track conditinos make a big diffeerence.

HOWEVER, the result is the result. The big dog is always going to be someone who goes the extra mile and that's how it should be. If some prefer to know what ultimate performance they can achive using the exact combo they use on the street, then they should go for it. But for those who want to use slicks, weight reduction, C16, rented track, etc .. then they should go for it too. And let the best man win.

None of thse cars are stock 996TTs ... they are all varying degrees of un-streetable modified cars :-)

Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Todd just ran a 5.46 second 60-130, and 4.68 100-200 kph in my car on a mix of 103 and 110 octane. I'm waiting on Kevin to let me know if the run passes review before I add it to the 60-130 list.

A couple things to keep in mind; he started in 3rd gear on the run, and probably would have gotten better results starting 2nd. Also, my car still has its full interior (including power/heated/leather seats and a rollbar), so it weighs quite a bit more than the top 3 cars on the list.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this initial run..but I plan on improving upon it when I get the car back.

Congratulation! Man. What a breakthrough you have made!

Two weeks ago our car club has an event to test 0~1000meter. From the aspect of 100km~200km. The fastest car was Enzo Ferrari and it clocked 6.1 sec which has become the new legend and myth in our club or even in Taiwan except some big mod Japanese cars. But you are much faster than that! Very impressive.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Craig, I have the utmost respect for you and have always found your comments to be a class act.
Thank you. The feeling is entirely mutual!!!

Originally Posted by MrBlonde
having said that I disagree with the thrust of your post. Of course weight reduction ,special wheels/tyres and track conditinos make a big diffeerence.

HOWEVER, the result is the result. The big dog is always going to be someone who goes the extra mile and that's how it should be. If some prefer to know what ultimate performance they can achive using the exact combo they use on the street, then they should go for it. But for those who want to use slicks, weight reduction, C16, rented track, etc .. then they should go for it too. And let the best man win.

None of thse cars are stock 996TTs ... they are all varying degrees of un-streetable modified cars :-)
I do not disagree. As I stated in my post, I have the utmost respect for what guys like Markski have done, and the lengths they have gone to. Their efforts benefit the entire Porsche community! Moreover, it is very cool to see the awesome times that are achieved . . . times that are unattainable with a street set-up. On the other hand, I also like the idea of running a car in the same condition as it is driven on the street. The times will unquestionably be slower, but they will also translate much closer to street performance. Both approaches have their benefits.

At the end of the day, extreme measures are necessary to achieve maximum performance and ground breaking times, and I applaud those who are willing to push the envelop in this regard. The street set-up times are great, but it is the times produced by extreme set-ups that grab the headlines and are used as benchmarks . . . and that is precisely as it should be, because the people who achieve these times worked their asses off to do so, and they deserve all the credit and applause that they receive (including from me).

Craig

Old 05-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Craig,
give us ur car for a weekend and I can bet that we will turn ur car into a low 10 second car if not faster.
As far as weight reduction goes... Im not all that lighter then a GT2... yet we consider a GT2 in the saem class as a TT. my Axles alone weigh twice as much as stock. Most of us opted for GT3 seats- no secret there... the only thnk I did was take out was the carpet and side panels...
Weight is very important when ur taking the car from a stand still... you need a lot TQ to move it... and that is where weight savings come into play...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver
Chad,
Does anyone make lifters for the 996tt that would hold up at 7500 plus rpm? Scott, what rpm is your motor at when you shift at around 7200 or so in the next gear. In other words is the motor still on cam if you shift at 7000 or so when it hits the next gear and are the turbos still in their boost sweet spot after the shift? Sounds like one bad *** car and I applaud you for the jewels to throw this much cash at an already expensive car in the sole pursuit of NASTY speed! Enjoy and stay out of jail.
silver,

Yes, Porsche has a half moon lifter that will handle 9,500+ rpm's. These lifters will only work on the GT3 cam housing.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott
So you did beat Todd's time :-) Or should I say you smashed it!!!
Robert

Old 05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Scott
So you did beat Todd's time :-) Or should I say you smashed it!!!
Robert
Ya, I guess I beat it by a smidge.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:44 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Good post, Chad.

My best buddy, Peter (who's car is at Todd's place right now)....his car will utilize the strengths of all of the above:

-Stroked to 3.8 Liters
-Same McKenzie heads as VR
-Same cams and GT3 pointers as me
-Same springs as me
-Same GT3 code on the 996TT ECU as me and Mark
-GT35R's with lightweight compressors

I think his engine is going to be the most powerful and usable one out of the four of us. But he's keeping his car AWD and full weight, so I'm not sure how much faster it will be than Mark's and mine, if at all.

Just wondering what advantage will his car have utilizing gt35 if his car will have the same rev limits (7800)? I was thinking about Chad's earlier statement about gt35 needing a higher revs to be fully utilized?

Sincerely, Robert

Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Just wondering what advantage will his car have utilizing gt35 if his car will have the same rev limits (7800)? I was thinking about Chad's earlier statement about gt35 needing a higher revs to be fully utilized?

Sincerely, Robert
The extra 3.8 L will help push the GT35 impellars a little better than the 3.6 L.

Last edited by cjv; 05-21-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Chad
Just asking for your opinion, which turbo would be better if the rev limit is 7800? GT3076 or GT35
Sincerely
Robert

Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 AM
cjv
Chad
Just asking for your opinion, which turbo would be better if the rev limit is 7800? GT3076 or GT35
Sincerely
Robert
Our tests showed the GT30 to be far more streetable and a better performer than the GT35 at the low to mid rpm range. Divexxtreme's motor confirms this. Saying that, some changes to a motor utilizing the GT35's could present a whole new perspective.