996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Very Smelly AC!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:43 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Very Smelly AC!

My AC system has been emitting a really foul mildew smell when first turned on lately. The dealer has changed the cabin filter twice and has sprayed some kind of spray into the system twice as well.

The smell greatly diminished for a week or two, but is yet again back. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas, tips, or fixes?

Thanks!

Rob

Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM
CamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really nice
Turn the heat on for 20 minutes or so.... full heat, cooking your *** hot. Burn out that stench!!!

It may work and it's the cheapest fix ever.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
cab2u is infamous around these parts
When I had a really bad smell in my last 911, I found that mice had made a home for themselves in the pollen filter (under the front hood near the passenger side).

Old 05-17-2007, 09:43 AM
OneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cab2u
When I had a really bad smell in my last 911, I found that mice had made a home for themselves in the pollen filter (under the front hood near the passenger side).
A friend of my family had that happen and the mice had the Hanta Virus. When they got in the car and ran the AC they got a large dose and died within days. Still freaks me out.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Ok....Mice.....Hanta Virus... ???? Now I'm concerned! hahaha

I would hope that the dealer would have seen rodents in the two times they have "addressed" this issue for me. I am going to try the heat method and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work, it's off to the dealer again. Oh what fun!

Thanks for your input guys...I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Old 05-17-2007, 12:12 PM
john revis is infamous around these parts
I used a charcoal cabin filter, and it worked great. Areas such as Florida (where I live) with high humidity are probably worse.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
Also, get underneath your dash on the passenger footwell and remove a plastic linining with two simple plastic screws. Look towards the condensor. It may be that its about to go (happened to me) and tons of mildew growth on it.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OneFasTT996
A friend of my family had that happen and the mice had the Hanta Virus. When they got in the car and ran the AC they got a large dose and died within days. Still freaks me out.
That's horrible. Years ago I saw a young Marine that had contracted the Hanta virus. He had just returned from training in Korea. Rodents left droppings in his tent under his rack. He had a light case and survived, but it was still awful. Aerosolized droppings is exactly how this virus is contracted by humans. Even if the doctors knew what it was initially, and that would be unlikely, it was probably still too late to save them given the direct blast in the face from the a/c. Where did they live?

Back to topic...try spraying Lysol in to the a/c intake (with the filter removed, heat and a/c on. It will come back every once in a while and you will have to repeat the Lysol treatment.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:21 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
To avoid the mildew smell in the A/C, turn the compressor off and run the fan on high (lower temp.) to reduce condensation in the ducts/ evaporator. This should be done approx. 20 sec. or so every time you use the a/c.

Last edited by L Gancho; 05-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
OneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
That's horrible. Years ago I saw a young Marine that had contracted the Hanta virus. He had just returned from training in Korea. Rodents left droppings in his tent under his rack. He had a light case and survived, but it was still awful. Aerosolized droppings is exactly how this virus is contracted by humans. Even if the doctors knew what it was initially, and that would be unlikely, it was probably still too late to save them given the direct blast in the face from the a/c. Where did they live?
San Martin de Los Andes in Argentina. I wish that the Hanta virus was only found there but it seems we have it here too. Nasty nasty stuff.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
Ok....Mice.....Hanta Virus... ???? Now I'm concerned! hahaha

I would hope that the dealer would have seen rodents in the two times they have "addressed" this issue for me. I am going to try the heat method and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work, it's off to the dealer again. Oh what fun!

Thanks for your input guys...I'll keep you posted.

Rob
I doubt you have any chance of getting that virus. I was talking more to the guy who found the mice living in there. That being said, if you put your car away for the winter it's always good to make sure you don't have any critters living in your car ;-)

Old 05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Gusagain is infamous around these parts
Bake it out, like sumone mentioned, crank the heater, then air out the cabin and spray Lysol or =. Be sure to run the A/C for a good ten minutes or so monthly, even if it is winter. Also like sumone mentioned, turn off the compressor (leaving the fan running)a few minutes prior to shutting down the car, gets rid of condensation.
GL

Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Gusagain is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OneFasTT996
I doubt you have any chance of getting that virus. I was talking more to the guy who found the mice living in there. That being said, if you put your car away for the winter it's always good to make sure you don't have any critters living in your car ;-)
Hantavirus is going around over here too lately. And to make matters worse, the mouse that is thought to be carrying it over here is a protected species - ???? Officials have to "relocate" the mouse instead of killing the little varment. yea wtf?

Sorry for OT!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gusagain
Hantavirus is going around over here too lately. And to make matters worse, the mouse that is thought to be carrying it over here is a protected species - ???? Officials have to "relocate" the mouse instead of killing the little varment. yea wtf?

Sorry for OT!
Only in Germany (where everyone follows the rules) would that be a problem ;-P