996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wire to tap into for AFR gauge and other questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:50 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I installed my AEM a few months ago along with a boost gauge. The AEM uses its own dedicated wide-band O2 sensor. All of the material I've read suggests that the stock O2 sensors are narrow-band (only the GT3 part # for the Bosch sensor indicates a wideband O2 sensor). If that's the case, I'd trust the AEM over the Brockway every time...

Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
he used the white face.. i used the black face... but you get both anyhow.... yu just unscrew the faceplate of it... YU get the O2 sensor in the kit and have the exhasut dude insytall it... or yu take out the 02 and do it yourself...

Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
The stock 996TT 02 sensors are wide band and appear to be identical to the ones that come with the AEM. I think both are Bosch.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
the sensor that comes withthe kit clicks in the the rest of the wiring harness....so that is why it makes an easy install...after that you only need positive and a ground..
so much easier than the boost controller install..... although...that in itself wasnt rocket science... just time consuming....

Old 11-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
According to the Service Information Technical Introduction manual for the 996 Turbo, the pre-cat sensors (LSU4) are wide band. The sensors between the primary cats and the main cats (LSF4) are called offset sensors and the manual does not address their exact function nor does it mention if they are wide band or not.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I stand corrected then, good find! So much misinformation out there...

Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John D
Gary,

It works very well...I like it a lot and have not had any problems. Get the DIN mounting kit and fill one of the center spots with it. Easy install.

John
Great find.
Looks like you have order from a dealer, who did you order it from? Also what accessories do I need to get boost display and shift light?

Vincent

Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
You can purchase it directly from Brockway Engineering. Here is the web site - http://www.brockwayengineering.com/r920.html

A couple of things to be aware of:

1) You have to request amber graphics or you will get green.

2) Connection is simple - it just plugs into the OBD2 port. The S100 shift light plugs into the R920 and takes the tach signal from it, but if you connect this way, you have to select "shift light" mode in order to use the shift light and you will lose the AFR function, as long as you have the shift light selected. The better way to do it and the way I did it - wire the S100 shift light directly to the tach wire just above the OBD2 port. This way you have AFR at all times, as well as, the shift light at all times.

I did not connect the boost display, so you will have to ask Eric (Brockway) about that. I think it requires a pressure line to be run to it and possibly another module...

Last edited by John D; 11-29-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Any comment on the Brockway R2000? Seems nice as it plugs into the navi and save me a DIN slot (for my greddy)

Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John D
You can purchase it directly from Brockway Engineering. Here is the web site - http://www.brockwayengineering.com/r920.html

A couple of things to be aware of:

1) You have to request amber graphics or you will get green.

2) Connection is simple - it just plugs into the OBD2 port. The S100 shift light plugs into the R920 and takes the tach signal from it, but if you connect this way, you have to select "shift light" mode in order to use the shift light and you will lose the AFR function, as long as you have the shift light selected. The better way to do it and the way I did it - wire the S100 shift light directly to the tach wire just above the OBD2 port. This way you have AFR at all times, as well as, the shift light at all times.

I did not connect the boost display, so you will have to ask Eric (Brockway) about that. I think it requires a pressure line to be run to it and possibly another module...

I just got their email saying the R920 model have been discontinued. New models won't be available til next year.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dixie
I installed both:AEM and Brockway,like them all...

Dixie-
How did you mount the gauge on the steering column? I'm looking to do something similar, if not exact. I'd like to have a boost gauge mounted up high near the instrument cluster.
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:58 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
At the moment it's night in Belgium,I'll take a picture tomorrow how I did the install of the AEM..

Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
how come in that picture the AEM SHOWS ONE readin and the other unit another????
What gives???
LOL....
IM confused.... lol...
NICE sterring wheel anyhow...!!! what kind is that???

Old 12-01-2007, 02:50 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
The steering wheel is from FVD but RAID has exatly the same.The FVD costs 1000$ and the RAID 600$ including airbags.At full throttle the readings from the AEM and the Brockway are almost the same .01-.02 difference somethime, but at idle the difference can be more ,I think it's because the AEM reacts very quickly and the Brockway is about 1 or 2 seconds slower..

Old 12-01-2007, 03:57 AM
Picture how I installed the AEM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wire to tap into for AFR gauge and other questions?