996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wire to tap into for AFR gauge and other questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Wire to tap into for AFR gauge and other questions?

I'm looking to put a narrow-band AFR gauge in an Autometer dual steering column mount, and want to know the best place to tap into the O2 sensor signal. Is there a diagnostic port within the passenger compartment that is best to use?

Related to this, I've read that the stock 996 GT3 O2 sensor is wideband (they are different Bosch part numbers). How/why is this not the case for the TT? And will there be a significant difference in AFR readings by utilizing the stock O2 sensor versus a seperate wideband?

Also, anyone who has used the steering column pod and can attest to its build quality or post photos would be great (Suman?).

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
The stock sensors in the TT are wideband. You can pick up the signal from the OBD2 port without installing new wideband sensors.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Thanks John. I see you're using the AEM AFR gauge (as I'm planning to use). Can you shed some light on how you hooked it up? I'm assuming that you just spliced the sensor line into a wire on the OBD2 port? Which one?

Many thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
jimmer,

I ended up not using the AEM gauge. I went with a brockway R920 digital multi-gauge that reads AFR and several other values from the OBD2 port. It's a very well designed piece and I had them make one with dual AFR capability in order to monitor both sides individually. They also custom colored the LED's to match the Porsche orange color. This is the simplest AFR gauge you will ever install and it reads both sides, which is important in a 996tt...I bought the optional DIN mounting plate (standard it is a plastic box) to fit in the center console, but have not installed it yet - only tested it in my BMW X5. It works great and I will be installing it in the Porsche next week.

Here is a picture of the LED coloring (although a bad image - it will give you the idea)

And here is a link to the Brockway web site - check out the features...
http://www.brockwayengineering.com/r920.html

Digital Vehicle Sensor Monitor. The R920 is essentially a digital multi-gauge that plugs into the diagnostic port on most 1996 and later import vehicles and displays real-time engine data on it's 2-line LCD. The data is communicated from the engine ECU and accuracy is ensured by the OBD2 protocol. Through the selection of one of 9 different screen modes, the user can monitor up to 2 parameters at a time. Robust circuit design for reliable operation in extreme conditions.

STFT (Short Term Fuel Trim) %
CLV (Calculated Load Value) %
RPM (Engine RPM)
IGN (Ignition Timing) °
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) %
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) kPa
MAF (Mass Air Flow) g/s
ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) °F or °C
IAT (Intake Air Temperature) °F or °C
O2 (Oxygen Sensor Voltage) v
A/F (A/F Ratio)
VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) mph or km/h
BAT (Battery Voltage) v

EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) °F or °C (only available when the EGT1 is connected)

MPG/KPL (Economy) Miles Per Gallon or Kilometers Per Liter
FR (Fuel Rate) lbs/hr or cc/min

• One custom screen mode that allows the user to select the data displayed.
• Speed and Temperature can be displayed in Metric or English units.
• Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) and turns off check engine light (CEL).
• Displays boost on vehicles equipped with a MAP sensor or the AP1.
• Calculates and displays fuel economy in MPG or KPL.
• Calculates and displays fuel rate in lbs/hr or cc/min.
• Adjustable vehicle speed correction.
• Displays A/F ratio on vehicles equipped with an OEM wideband O2 sensor or an external wideband sensor.
• A/F ratio conversion for early Honda/Acura K-series engines.
• External sensor input from a wideband O2 sensor, AP1 MAP sensor or EGT1 exhaust gas temperature sensor.
• Programmable shift light output. Can also be used to control the AT1 Auto Timer module.
• Acceleration timer. (with optional AM1)
• Adjustable ECT alarm.
• Simple Plug and Play installation with included Data Link cable.
• Premium automotive grade reverse contrast green LCD.
• Case dimensions: 6.5"x2.75"x1".
• Single DIN mounting kit (MK1) available.

Shift Light - adjustable from 3,000 rpm to 9,900 rpm in 100 rpm increments. Output can drive an LED shift light such as the IND1 or SL3.
Acceleration Timer - completely automatic and no calibration required. It resets when the vehicle speed is 0 and starts counting as soon as the vehicle starts moving. Once the vehicle reaches either 60 mph or 100 km/h, it freezes the elapsed time. This result will remain on the screen until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. With the aid of an internal accelerometer to detect vehicle motion, the R920 achieves exceptional accuracy. Once triggered, the R920 tracks the VSS to determine vehicle speed. It is very repeatable and excellent for checking the affect of a vehicle modification.
External Sensor - one external sensor input which may be used with a wideband O2 sensor such as the LC-1 from Innovate or SM-AFR from PLX, an AP1 MAP sensor or an EGT1 exhaust gas temperature sensor. Vehicles not factory equipped with a wideband O2 sensor can plug in a wideband O2 sensor and have A/F ratio along with other sensor data. Vehicles not factory equipped with a MAP sensor may want to use the external MAP sensor to monitor boost pressure.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Im using the AEM AFR. i ran the o2 senor that came with the unit.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Markski, that's what I thought. Everything I'm reading says that only the GT3 O2 sensor is wideband, but that makes no sense.

Can one of the gurus chime in with the definitive word on this? Can I plug a wideband (AEM) AFR gauge into the stock O2 sensor?

I'm getting my exhaust made as we speak, so it's not a big deal if I have to have another bung welded in. One on each side Markski?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I only did one side. works fine for 2 years.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Awesome, thanks bro.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John D II
jimmer,

I ended up not using the AEM gauge. I went with a brockway R920 digital multi-gauge that reads AFR and several other values from the OBD2 port. It's a very well designed piece and I had them make one with dual AFR capability in order to monitor both sides individually. They also custom colored the LED's to match the Porsche orange color. This is the simplest AFR gauge you will ever install and it reads both sides, which is important in a 996tt...I bought the optional DIN mounting plate (standard it is a plastic box) to fit in the center console, but have not installed it yet - only tested it in my BMW X5. It works great and I will be installing it in the Porsche next week...

Hey John, this looks very interesting. How does it hook into the OBDII?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Zippy,

It just plugs in like a scan tool and gives some interesting information from the ECU in addition to the AFR. When I discovered this product, it only read one O2 sensor. After speaking with the designer about the 996tt, they offered to add the dual bank O2 sensor feature, as they had access to a 996tt for testing. They came back and said they could add it without any problem, so I bought one. This is the best aspect of the product - you can monitor both "bank 1" and "bank 2" at the same time. With one push of a button, you can toggle intake air temp, coolant temp, vehicle speed, RPM, throttle position, fuel rate in lbs/hr and more. And it also stores, reads and clears OBD2 codes. After testing it in my X5, I like it.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
John,

This thing looks very good. Comprehensive array of parameters. Easy intallation. Is there any way to log this data?

Mike

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Mike,

I'm not sure, but I don't think the R920 can datalog. However, they have another model called the R2000 that has a record and playback feature - I think it records 1 minute and 42 seconds and remains in memory until over written. Here is a link to it - http://www.brockwayengineering.com/r2000.html

Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks John!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to have a real OBD in or on ur dash. Does the DIN option allow you to mount it in the slot where the CD holders are above the HAVC and below the Nav?

Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Duane,

That's what I intend to do, but I will not have my car back until this Friday, so I am not positive about the fit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wire to tap into for AFR gauge and other questions?