996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rolled my fenders and installed RUF spacers today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Looks great Scott. I was curious also if you had the 12`s on the rear. So I assume you do not have to hack up the liners and the spacers do not add rubbing on the fenders. Do stock GT2`s have spacers?
Mike,

I'm running 11" wheels out back. No hacking/cutting required. Just bend/roll the lip inside the fender well out of the way and you're good to go.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
I just did a quick forum search on "baseball" that didn't turn up anything useful. So...

Can you please describe how you rolled the fender lips with a baseball bat? Maybe I won't buy that Eastwood roller after all.

Jeff
Jeff,

Search "baseball bat roll fender" in Google and you'll find a ton of info.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned
GrettW is infamous around these parts
I used to use the baseball bat technique on hondas when I was younger, but you are a brave man to employ this device on your 996tt, glad everything worked out for you...I think I would have been entirely too nervous to go through with it as I have seen horror stories of cracking paint as well as stretching of the quarter panel where it meets the wheel well.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:55 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I initially tried the bat as I have done this a few times in the past with good results, but unfortunately the bat teqnique didn't give me enough room and the correct angle and a clean transition free of lumps in the bend due to the MPSC's in the 315 size with the racing BBS wheels. I eventually purchased the eastwood fender rolling tool and it did a great job to even out the subtle lumps left behing by the bat technique and leave a factory finish.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by GrettW
I used to use the baseball bat technique on hondas when I was younger, but you are a brave man to employ this device on your 996tt, glad everything worked out for you...I think I would have been entirely too nervous to go through with it as I have seen horror stories of cracking paint as well as stretching of the quarter panel where it meets the wheel well.
It worked out great. Not a single paint crack, stretch or fold/lump in the metal. My buddy (who also owns a 996TT) looked it over and over and couldn't find a single flaw after it was done. Probably has a lot to do with the quality of Porsche paint and body.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:07 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Nice job Scott...it definately looks better!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Use the proper tool or else take a chance of cracking up the paint ......The fender rolling tool is not only safe but it is infact very simple to use too...I just rolled the fenders on my M3 and they came out perfect.....

Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Nothing fattens up the rear look like offsets or spacers, looks awesome. Scott, did you try to warm up the paint any to prevent cracking or not. I need to do this as well but have been chicken. I have 11 inch rear with pretty aggressive offsets. No rubbing yet but a severe bottom out could hit the tire. My fronts are 9 inch so no spacers need there but they fill the well nicely with the 235 fronts. I noticed crisper turn in with the 235 and wider stance. Nice job again.

Last edited by silver; 05-28-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by silver
Nothing fattens up the rear look like offsets or spacers, looks awesome. Scott, did you try to warm up the paint any to prevent cracking or not. I need to do this as well but have been chicken. I have 11 inch rear with pretty aggressive offsets. No rubbing yet but a severe bottom out could hit the tire. My fronts are 9 inch so no spacers need there but they fill the well nicely with the 235 fronts. I noticed crisper turn in with the 235 and wider stance. Nice job again.
Thanks Silver,

I parked the car out in the sun for a few hours (95 degrees) and the paint was hot to the touch. I'd rather do this than use a heat gun.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Here are some close ups. No waves, cracks or flaws. The weird looking thing in the first pic is a reflection of the tire/wheel on my Jeep which is parked right next to my car. It's actually perfectly smooth.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 05-29-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
that **** looks crazyyyyyy! wow love it!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Thanks for the info and good job and post.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:24 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
looks like you may have to roll some more, it appears you have some slicing/rubbing going on in your sidewalls.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by oak
looks like you may have to roll some more, it appears you have some slicing/rubbing going on in your sidewalls.
No...that happened on my initial test drive after I installed the spacers...but before I rolled the fenders. It was what let me know I needed to roll the fenders. There's no longer any rubbing now.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
oak
ah,......gotcha, funny how you can still have those issues and not have any noticeable type of noise or indications just more slicing. I just went through all this a few months ago. just when I thought I had releived all areas I might hit a bump or tweak with the suspension and it rubs again. I had problems with the 10 and 2 o'clock areas, had to relieve some large tabs that was causing some rubbing.
g

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rolled my fenders and installed RUF spacers today