996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Performance Driving Schools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:25 AM
trueloans is infamous around these parts
Question Performance Driving Schools

I am sure some of you have gone to these, although I myself have not, but they do look entertaining and also like they could help me push my TT even farther than I can already.

I was curious to get feedback and also your impressions of what you were taught at the particular schools.

Any Recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I do not know where to go to get the best "Bang for my Buck"..although the one in Las Vegas always is a great place to go!!

Old 04-03-2004, 07:42 PM
stuka is infamous around these parts
BMWCCA schools. You start from D, and work your way up to C, B, A, and eventually get invited to instructor training, then maybe instructor if you are good.

I have done ten schools with them, and at the last school at Sears Point, we had a black 996TT, my SY 996TT, a silver 996TT, a silver 996 GT3, and yellow 996 GT3, two silver 993 C4S, and one 996 C2.

It's a two day school, and you get four half hour sessions each day, with about 1.5 hours of classroom. It was $550 for the Sears Point school. But they are generally from $400 to $600 for West coast tracks.

There is a Vegas school scheduled for May of which I will be going:

http://www.sincitybmwcarclub.com/driving.html

The one I will be going to next is Button Willow, run by the San Diego Chapter of BMWCCA.

http://www.sdbmwcca.com

Can't wait to drive my Turbo at Button Willow.

Last edited by stuka; 04-03-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:46 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
i liked bragg-smith at spring mtn, NV a bunch of us went over and liked it, but the guys who had done PDE preferred that.

while tracquest claims a good safety record, i would nt recommend them over PDE or braggsmith

Attached Images  

Last edited by watt; 04-05-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:00 AM
steve c is infamous around these parts
I've run at PCA and BMWCCA events -- and perhaps it is the region, but without exception they have been egocentric assrods and with very few exceptions very poor drivers (instructors included).

If you have the chance I would recommend spending some time at a real school with real instructors (read not some random person who might have run one or two conference or SCCA events years ago). Bondurant runs a clean school with good instructors, as does Proformance out in Seattle.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:30 AM
DealMan is infamous around these parts
I am very happy with the Jim Russell school. I attended the Advanced Racing Course (ARC) last March, and though I didn't realize it when I signed up, the handling characteristics of the rear engine cars they use are quite good training for a Porsche. Sears Point is definitely my favorite track so far!

Old 04-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Rob in Potomac
Robert in Potom is infamous around these parts
I am scheduled for Porsche Driving Experience in Alabama - next month. Instuctors are world class and driving their 911's is a huge plus. Of course, the price is much higher than club DE's and track seat times, etc., but the results should be worth it. I hope so and look forward to my first experience driving a 911 at the track. Will be very interested in learning to drive a rear engined Porsche.

Robert the waiter

Old 04-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Ray M is infamous around these parts
Hey Watt.....what the heck happened to that thing??

Old 04-04-2004, 10:18 PM
acw
acw is infamous around these parts
Watt, I don't understand your Tracquest bashing. In fact I don't remember ever meeting you at a Tracquest event. Did this GT2 was damaged during a Tracquest event?

I have attended numerous Tracquest events and believe Tracquest to be one of the safest high speed driving school
available. I have seen a few incidents over the years, but a lot less than in some other clubs which have less organization and weak instruction.

Back to the question, the following organizations provide great events and are perfect to start.

Tracquest www.tracquest.com
NCRC www.ncracing.org
Unlimitedlaps www.unlimitedlaps.com

Arnaud

Old 04-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Arnaud, the problem is that the figurehead of TracQuest crashed that car on the street and it was no one's fault but his own. That's what happens when you push your car to 11/10ths on a road you don't even know.

You will never see me attending an event held by such a reckless person who has no regard for the safety of others. He even had a passenger with him (a 19 yr. old kid who wanted to learn how to drive well). No helmet, no harnesses...

And yes, I witnessed the accident, I was right behind him when it happened. The accident was such a disgrace that the local bikers were talking **** about Porsche drivers and using that SY GT2 as a primary example of what reckless *******s we as a group. Throughout the following week the CHP and local Sheriff's department pulled over a neighbor of mine and said he heard of many complaints about this particular ******* who crashed his Yellow GT2 after trying to play 'speed racer.'

Great, just great. And here he is trying to promote safe, high speed events.

I may drive fast on the street or in the canyons, but at least I'm not a ****ing hypocrite.

It's nice to know you support people who endanger others and preach about safety.

This is also the same guy who thinks he is a better driver than Cort Wagner and started to tout TracQuest as a better DE than learning one-on-one from someone like Cort.

Well, for me, I'd rather learn from Cort Wagner, thank you very much.

Last edited by Hamann7; 04-05-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Porsche Fiend
HAHAHA, now that's funny Todd. How would you know what I witnessed as you were flying 50 feet in the air off a dirt mound.

I'm a LIAR? Don't even get started with me before I let out the whole story and make it my mission to destroy your pathetic "driver education" business using only facts.

You are the biggest ******* that I have ever met. I don't like you because your sole purpose of coming to our canyon run was to **** it up for all of us who run these canyons for fun on Sundays. Your actions have brought more police, brought resentment from other motorists and bikers (even that ****er in the van cursed me out based on what YOU did, not me), and ruined everyone's Sunday morning. In retrospect, I frankly could not give one **** if you flew off the cliff or not, but you had a 19 year old kid as a passenger and you put his life in jeopardy as well.

In your attempt to shamelessly promote TracQuest, you decided to drive recklessly to show us what a great driver you are and instead you ended up looking like the ****ing idiot that you are by crashing your car. Very nicely done, I might add, done with lots of flair and style.

FYI, you were less than 3-4 seconds ahead of me when you lost control of your car, and I was only going 70-80%. It was very clear to see what had happened. You try to claim that you hit some dirt patch which caused you to lose control, but strangely enough when the 3 of us went to check, there was no dirt or debris on the road. Frankly, with all your track experience and so-called credentials and willingness to use both sides of a two-lane road at all times and put everyone else around you in danger, I expected you to be much faster, especially on PZero Corsas and your "special" alignment. Whatever it is, you lost your own "race" because in a race, you have to finish in order to win.

Nobody was impressed with your so-called skills and now all of us laugh because you got poetic justice for ruining what could have been a really pleasant drive.

If you are such the honest and nice person you claim to be, why is it that Beverly Hills Porsche, Wheel Enhancement, PowerChip, CEC, etc. don't want to deal with your bull****? Why is it that your reputation around town is so poor? You are running out of vendors that will even take your money because no one wants to deal with you.

Go back to Rennlist and pretend you are an F1 driver with people who actually endorse your delusions.

Better yet, you should spend some time off the Internet shamelessly promoting your pathetic businesses and go make some honest money to pay for your GT2 repair bills and put food on the table.

I wonder how your insurance company would feel if they knew the real story?

In a nutshell, you are a loser. You can start a war on this board if you'd like... but by the time the truth and all the testimonials come out of the woodwork, you will lose big. So if I were you, I'd keep quiet.

Last edited by Hamann7; 04-05-2004 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Porsche Fiend
And needless to say, we really hope that you realize you are not invited to any more of our Malibu meetings.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:20 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Watt - Tyson and Todd - please take this stuff to the PM's - We dont need to see the crashed gt2 anymore thanks Let's not use 6speed as a platform for this again - thanks guys

Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
I agree. Take it outside men.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Darren
Watt - Tyson and Todd - please take this stuff to the PM's - We dont need to see the crashed gt2 anymore thanks Let's not use 6speed as a platform for this again - thanks guys
As someone who goes to the PDE's about once a month, I appreciated the posts, and would certainly take it into consideraton the next time that I got the track itch and BMWCCA doesn't have a school scheduled.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Darren,

I for one want to leave all this behind, have all Porsche guys get together again and enjoy their toys and accept their differences ignore them and focus on our similar love of the cars.

Time for an ORR thread !!! we'll get one going!!!

Attached Images  

Last edited by watt; 04-07-2004 at 10:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving Schools