996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Issues with lightweight flywheel....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Michael W. is infamous around these partsMichael W. is infamous around these parts
Issues with lightweight flywheel....

I have put a lightweight flywheel and new racing clutch on my car and have some issues. In the past week the car has stalled about 10 times when I depress the clutch. Also, while idling with the clutch depressed if I sligthly blip the throttle up to 1800 rpm the engine almost always dies.

Does anybody else have these problems? In fact, of you 600hp and up guys, how many of you went to a ligthweight flywheel vs the stock heavier one? Do any of you higher-hp guys think, or have been told, there are any issues in staying with the stock flywheel as far as it breaking?

-- Michael

Old 04-03-2004, 06:12 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Michael,

I have the light weight flywheel. No problem when I depress the clutch. If I blip mine she will die when the rev's go back down. I learned not to blip.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:20 AM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
I have the lightweight flywheel and Stage 2 Clutch. I have had some stalling issues with the car but only after getting on the car hard, then coming to a stop.

My only dig with the flywheel is the sound of it with the clutch depressed. Sounds like a throw out bearing that went through hell. Other than that much better and quicker revs.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:12 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
It's an ECU programming problem. The computer isn't programmed to respond to the rapid rev drop of a lightened flywheel between shifts or esp going to idle .

Old 04-03-2004, 10:45 AM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
i have that problem all the time... and i learned...hahaha
when u come to a stop light... try to let the engine rpm drop down first... then depress the clutch... when it's around 2000rpm...
that should solve the problem...^_^

Old 04-03-2004, 12:21 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
I had EVO Stage 4 with normal flywheel/clutch x 17K miles = no problems

Old 04-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MKW
It's an ECU programming problem. The computer isn't programmed to respond to the rapid rev drop of a lightened flywheel between shifts or esp going to idle .
That's exactly what I was thinking. We need Stephen / Todd to get a fix for this.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Michael W. is infamous around these partsMichael W. is infamous around these parts
My noises with the lightweight flywheel are under the following conditions:

1) At a stop if I am in nuetral and I let out the clutch. The sound is almost embarassing if I am around other cars, it sounds like something it loose on the car. So, now I spend a lot more time just holding the clutch in at a stop light, not sure how bad this is.

2) Any time the car lugs. I.E. I short shift and the rpms' are around 2k, if I give it gas the flywheel will make an awful loud noise.

The other problem is that my starts in 1st are real jerky, the dual-mass really is forgiving and makes you feel like a pro, I feel like I barely know how to drive a manual transmission with the lightweight, but I suspect this is just a learning curve.

My Ferrari 360 comes from the factory with a light flywheel, but it makes none of the noises of this one, any idea why?

-- Michael

Old 04-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by luting_chen
i have that problem all the time... and i learned...hahaha
when u come to a stop light... try to let the engine rpm drop down first... then depress the clutch... when it's around 2000rpm...
that should solve the problem...^_^
The question is what happens when I go to sell my car. Do I tell any purchaser that the car is going to stall under a list of circumstances? It just seems to me that a product is flawed if it causes your car to stall and that issue really needs to be dealt with. I can live with the noises and I can learn to make the starts from 1st smoother, but the stalling just puts the product into developmental status to me.

-- Michael

Old 04-03-2004, 11:52 PM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
got it...
I wish it can be fixed easily...
Can it Todd? or Stephen?

if so, then when I ship my ECU back for IBE... I'd like to get it done ^_^

Old 04-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
What is your opinion..........

I am getting the GT/R hardware installed early next week. I was also planning on having the dealership install a performance clutch & lightweight flywheel @ the same time.

Q. Should I forget about the lightweight flywheel and just do the clutch?
or
have the noisey, hard to use flywheel which is prone to making the car stall installed also????????

Mike

Old 04-04-2004, 02:03 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I am installing my lightweight setup this week or next week. It just depends on how much worst much clutch gets. Does that help to answer your question Yes, it is identical to the one you have.

Old 04-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhD

... It just depends on how much worst much clutch gets. Does that help to answer your question ...

Last edited by Zippy; 04-04-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
When I install the clutch will depend on how much worst it gets. I blew it, and blew it hard. I am limping around until I can find time to install it.