996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MBQuart vs. Focal vs. Dynaudio speakers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:29 AM
02TurboX50 is infamous around these parts
MBQuart vs. Focal vs. Dynaudio speakers...

All-
Just wondering if one of these speaker lines sounds better or is preferred overall for 996 TTs. Of course I need to know why too :-) !
Thx.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:17 PM
X1
prubin is infamous around these parts
Re: MBQuart vs. Focal vs. Dynaudio speakers...

Hi 02TurboX50,

I don't know specifically about the Porsche application, however in my 10+ years of designing for Avalon Acoustics, I have done extensive testing on the hi-end audio tweeters from all three companies. The MB Quart titanium and aluminum dome tweeter and midrange units were the most natural sounding and neutral spectrum drivers, PROVIDED that you have high-order crossovers properly designed for them. And as always, I recommend listening and auditioning before you buy!

Sincerely,
Paul

Originally posted by 02TurboX50
All-
Just wondering if one of these speaker lines sounds better or is preferred overall for 996 TTs. Of course I need to know why too :-) !
Thx.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:59 PM
YSITSMN is infamous around these parts
IF you wnat to know about the Focal speakers I would talk to Endra He has the Focal Utopia mids in his car. I have run both the MB and the focal in several of my cars. I enjoy the Sound of the Focal speakers over every thing that I have heard. I have used Zapco and Audison amps with my set ups.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:43 PM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Focal utopia are going to give you the best sound out there. Make sure you have good amps to boot, because they make a huge difference. I like Fosgate amps as well as orion and Hifonics.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Noel is infamous around these partsNoel is infamous around these parts
I have the MB Quart QSD's in my car and they sound freakin awesome. I use an active digitcal crossover (Premier P9 combo) and they make me want to cry they sound so good. Just make sure whatever you get you install them correctly...install can make or break speakers or the entire system for that matter.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:26 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Noel
the install can make or break speakers or the entire system for that matter.
This is absolutely 100% true.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:37 AM
tuner is infamous around these parts
focal vs mb quartz

Personally I like the focal utopia's over the mb quartz for the
front stage. The focal gives the a nice full and rich sound.
generally I also like to use the mb-quartz in the rear. The mb quartz tweeters are intense.my last 996 used this set up with
Nakamichi amps. The sound was great. In my opinion it was a perfect blend. My 965 will have the same set up except I am using JL audio amps and subs this time. As always it is important
to use dynamat in the doors and to make a little sealed compartment for the mids.
just my $.02

cheers
Bryan

Old 04-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Noel is infamous around these partsNoel is infamous around these parts
ditch the speakers in the rear...they distract from the sound stage...and while most MB Quart tweeters will sound harsh, the QSD titanium tweeter is awesome. Mount the tweeter in the a-pillar having it fire across the windshield (off axis). The tweeter should follow the curve of the windshield. Another speaker brand you should look at is DLS. They make amazing speakers that work really well off axis.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned
Ferrarislave is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Noel
ditch the speakers in the rear...they distract from the sound stage...and while most MB Quart tweeters will sound harsh, the QSD titanium tweeter is awesome. Mount the tweeter in the a-pillar having it fire across the windshield (off axis). The tweeter should follow the curve of the windshield. Another speaker brand you should look at is DLS. They make amazing speakers that work really well off axis.
Im going to get my system done pretty soon. Its going in an normal sized SUV.. Im considering throwing out the rear speakers and just having the front door speakers and dash tweeters. Do you think this is a good move. ?

Old 04-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Re: MBQuart vs. Focal vs. Dynaudio speakers...

Originally posted by 02TurboX50
All-
Thx.
I just installed a sound system on my cayenne and they used focal speakers. The quality is just superb.

some pictures of my sound system enjoy!

http://members.rennlist.com/jamy85/link5.htm

Last edited by jamy85; 04-04-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Ferrarislave
Im going to get my system done pretty soon. Its going in an normal sized SUV.. Im considering throwing out the rear speakers and just having the front door speakers and dash tweeters. Do you think this is a good move. ?
I think it will sound a bit weird if you left out the rear speakers.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Ferrarislave
There's a lot to be said for a good 5.1 system in an SUV. My 4runner had Clif Designs speaker all around (before they went under) and a Kenwood 5.1 processor. Two Orion 12s in the back with Memphis amps.

Suffice to say, SACD and DVD audio CDs were a whole new experience. And I could still hit 140dB in an SUV.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned
Ferrarislave is infamous around these parts
I see, so do you recommend I get some rear speakers. I have PCE216 Mbquart's to install in the front. Right now I have the stock Jeep Infinity golf 6 speaker system 2 tweeters, 2 fronts and 2 rears. Tweeters blew out and so did 1 rear. I will be leaving the stock navigation system up front so no dvd audio cd's for now.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
This is in a jeep? I recommend getting all six speakers, and a sub. No midrange speaker in the world can go as low as a sub and still be clean.

It depends on what you want, though. A friend of mine that works at a car audio shop went with just fronts and subs, to more accurately replicate the sound of a concert, where all the speakers are in the front. I'm a surround sound fan, myself.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 PM
JayM is infamous around these parts
Another vote for focals. And for Rod at Car Audio Innovations, who did the install. You will need a powerful amp, but it's worth it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBQuart vs. Focal vs. Dynaudio speakers...